The end of an era

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:51 PM

This quest is now officially cancelled and abandoned. If you want the TL;DR, then that's it.

I Can't Draw 8Bit was in many ways my first attempt at a ZC quest. It was not my first quest, mind you, that goes to another project several years earlier. But it was the first large scale quest I did. I pictured it on paper as a simple project: Just make 9 dungeons like in zelda 1, have better difficulty balancing, and then release. Simply, right? That's well and dandy on paper, but I decided early on in production to have a hidden level 10, which would be an optional bonus dungeon.

What's the dungeon count in the quest currently? At least 13. What the hell happened? Feature creep, that's what. Which is also now the quest password ("FeatureCreep"), should you wish to take a gander.

I was inspired by a lot of different pop culture media as I made this quest (keep in mind, that this was developed over 4 years ago,) as such any and all the extra dungeons I decided to add are filled to the brink with dank (read: shitty) references. Making the over arching plot line in the bonus content super weird and really fucking obtuse. Anyway, to get back on point, feature creep. I got a ton of stupid ideas as I made the quest, so I just decided to add more and more content to it. This, is a terrible idea, because the quest is not very coherent anymore, nor is it complete. If this quest stopped at level 9, it would have been done a long time ago. So in that regard, I suppose I achieved the original goal that was set for this project.

But does that make the quest complete? No. It has a bunch of ideas that are also half finished left in currently. It's also buggy, this quest started development long before RC3, heck, I think it was before RC2 even. As such, it is filled with bugs and some things might not even be completable anymore. I did make a quick fix to one glaring issue now before making this update, but finding and dealing with them all would take forever. And while I know how to finish this quest, I just don't see the point, I can spend my time on more worthwhile projects. And that's what it all comes down to, this quest is simply not worth my time anymore. BUT! That does not mean that it might not be interesting for people to play, or be useful for opening with ZQ and studying various solutions I have to certain things.

So now, I will release it in its incomplete state for all of public to take a look at. Now is the time to point and laugh at some of the absurdities! You can find the quest here: Download Link
(I also have distinct recollection of eppy promising to play this once it was released..., hurm, I wonder if I can get him to do that.... )

Warning: This quest is not for the faint of heart as it does contain some of the following: Terrible humour, prime 2 health draining mechanics, standard ganon fight, gore, ponies, pop culture references, bad design choices, graphics from someone who can't draw 8 bit.

If there is sufficient demand for it, I'll upload it to the quest database on pure, but given that it's incomplete it would seem weird to do so.

That is all,
Lunaria~

Edited by Lunaria, 29 December 2015 - 08:15 PM.

• Jared and Demonlink like this

#2 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

I remember when this was first announced. I am sad it is dead now -_- Oh well. That's part of life I guess. I hope you learned something.

-Strike

#3 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

Aww man, I was really forward to looking at this quest once it would get finished... But, since you no longer intend into continue development, well, that's a shame. However, I do get your points on why you no longer intend to maintain it. Still, good luck on your other projects! :)

(PS: Sorry if I'm a bit stupid and curious, but, what exactly is the quest password?  :whistle:

#4 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

Just "FeatureCreep", I think.

Edited by Lunaria, 05 December 2015 - 10:32 PM.

#5 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

Just "featurecreep", I think.

Nop, tried it and it won't open. :(

#6 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:32 PM

Nop, tried it and it won't open. :(

Ah, sorry, I got the capitalisation wrong. I edited my previous post and fixed it. Have fun~

• Demonlink likes this

#7 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

:( I was gonna download to finished thing too, oh well. I just when through the same thing with my quest.

#8 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

Thanks! BTW, you might want to fix the download link, appears that the site screwed your edited post up. Either way, I was still able to download it. Thanks! :)

#9 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:16 PM

fixed it.

#10 Extreme184X

Extreme184X

• Members

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

Hi Lunaria,
can you please re-upload "I can't draw 8bit", i was waiting for this quest since 2011, checked religiously for updates from 2011 to 2014, then afterwards stop checking, now learned your quest has been discontinued :-(
this quest was inspiration to even play zelda classic as i by accident, found a video on youtube and immediate fascinated on how impressive this quest looks.
i would like to try the quest and if possible can you leave the quest unpassworded (i wont make updates or release updates) just would to use my own music and perhaps tamper with some things.

Thanks in advance,
Extreme184X

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Extreme184X:  Lunaria is banned from PureZC.  Banned members are not able to upload or revise content on this site.

#12 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

I still have a copy saved. Try this.

#13 Extreme184X

Extreme184X

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

thanks Lüt,

i appreciate it :-)))))))))