• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MattB

MattB

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

Long time no see!

Real life more or less took over since my last update months ago, but I'm returning to the quest now that I have some free time here and there. The dungeon in this update has been finished for a while, though.

The first main dungeon of the game, Gloom Hollow, is a two floor dungeon (+sideview basement) constructed inside a giant abyss. In order to successfully navigate it, you'll have to move between the floors in nonlinear ways and even enter into the abyss itself.

Posted Image
A pit impedes Link's progress, forcing him to find another way around.

The concept for Gloom Hollow (and the name!) is directly lifted from a failed quest of mine from several years ago, but the power of scripting and new items in 2.5 allows the abyss to be much more than background scenery. This version delivers a better take on the concept of a dungeon hanging in a giant bottomless pit.

Posted Image
Link must cross a bridge over the abyss in order to enter Gloom Hollow proper.

Kingdom of Disharmony has distinct dungeons, but I'm trying to make most of them play with the standard dungeon formula in different ways. Gloom Hollow is probably the most standard dungeon of the bunch. However, no dungeon will be referred to as "Level X." I want each dungeon to feel like an organic part of the world, so I don't want the player to immediately know whether or not the area they've entered is a main dungeon, overworld area, or something in-between. I want the way the player thinks through problems on the overworld and in dungeons to be one and the same, so to encourage that I don't want to tell the player when they enter a dungeon.

On a final note, I'm hoping to get something together for the expo. We'll see!

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

And I thought what I was doing with my dungeons (tricking players into thinking they werein a main dungeon when really they were in an optional minidungeon and vice versa) was unique ;_;

Edited by Dimentio, 27 September 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#3 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:01 AM

It will be interesting to see how this "abyss" mechanic plays out.  Nice work!

Edited by CyberGamer1539, 28 September 2015 - 09:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users