Another Change of Approach?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:18 AM

Sorry for a delayed update, but life happened and my time making Adam's Quest Redux has been very limited. However, while at work, I've thought of a lot of cool ideas I could throw in for later in the quest's development. However, for now, I have a question for everyone that's reading this or is following my quest. Since I'm basically just copying and revamping the dungeons from the original game for the most part with changes as necessary, should I focus on the dungeons first and worry about the overworld later? The main thing is with the dungeons I still have to analyze each one and pinpoint design issues and how to fix them. For instance, level 3 was completely overhauled and is nothing like its original counterpart while levels 1 and 2 were just given minor edits.

So what I ask is should I just work on the dungeons for now since overworld work seems to be the main reason I'm losing motivation at this time? Just keep in mind that I would still need to rework every dungeon to accommodate a more balanced difficulty, something that around level 5 I threw out the window in the original Adam's Quest. I would say the point the difficulty curve really shows is level 6 and especially level 7, since there I began spamming the likes of Super Darknuts, Bat Robes and Stalfos 3s, along with an abuse of bosses. Anyone up for several Gleeok rooms? Another thing to remember is that I do not want the Redux version to just be the same crappy dungeons just with different tiles. I want them to be better. Have dungeon flow better, have more uses for the dungeon item to progress, make enemies more balanced, have a more convenient path to the boss so retries don't result in running a 20 room enemy gauntlet every attempt, and more.

Other than the above, I don't have too many things to say. I've updated a few screens in the icy mountain area and put in some rebalanced Lynels to guard the mountain. I also plan to open up the first of a few fully optional shops with items like the Spin Attack scroll. Should I do this, I'll have to redesign the subscreen to hold more items. A few things I thought of adding:

-Spin Attack Scroll
-Power Plus Badge (aka 100% proc rate Whimsical Ring that simply adds a Wooden Sword's strength to every melee attack)
-Quake Hammer
-Whisp Ring
-Peril Ring

Nothing is definite. I may make one or more of those items available in an optional mini-dungeon instead. I may also shoehorn in a Magic Meter and have Din's Fire available as an awesome but impractical weapon. Make it use a lot of magic to discourage spamming it, but still make it useful for getting out of a jam. The other item I considered was the Cane of Byrna instead of Nayru's Love. However, this weapon has a lot of problems in the balance department, such as how fast it burns magic. If it's too strong, it will be broken, and people can always use the trick of turning it on then back off quickly. If it's too weak, it becomes a waste of inventory space. However, I still feel it wouldn't be as bad as having God Mode thanks to Nayru's Love. Unless...I delved into the realm of scripts.

I also don't like the idea of having Rupees more or less affect your ability to use Nayru's Love. Why should carrying 999 Rupees make it easy for you to cheese an area abusing Nayru's Love? Now with the magic meter idea, I was thinking of having no magic jars drop at all, but have the magic gauge slowly refill and only when it's full can you use it. I would seek to make it just used as an emergency tool you could use once every few to several minutes to possibly save yourself without making fights a simple Nayru's Love spam fest.

As always, any feedback and suggestions are welcome.
  • Eddy likes this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:58 AM

So, let me start off by responding to your question:

should I focus on the dungeons first and worry about the overworld later?

Whichever way works for you. If you have loads of ideas about dungeons and it would probably benefit you, then it would be best to focus on the dungeons first. Then again, I don't design quests in a particular way, I just design the quest as you play it lol.

Also, those additions seem interesting, especially that Paper Mario item. I look forward to seeing more.

• KingPridenia likes this

#3 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

I'll probably work on a couple dungeons and worry about the overworld later. Yeah, the Power Plus Badge idea was something I discovered when playing with the Whimsical Ring in the editor and very careful HP assignment for enemies. Would be kind of neat, but again, not 100% sure if it will be added.

• Eddy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users