Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Limebeer

Limebeer

You can do anything with the abuse of the Animal Husbandry skill

• Members

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

And BEHOLD! The Thunderbird lives once again!!!
He will be featured in this quest, and will be slightly different than what is showcased in EotM, especially the staging. I may also try him out in some normal view instead of Sideview to see if I can make him more proper on how I wanted him, but as of now he is complete!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • TheLegend_njf, Demonlink, LinkFan212 and 1 other like this

#2 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

What you feel like when frustration sets in as you make variations of an enemy that refuses to work properly...

#3 LinkFan212

LinkFan212

EVERYDAY is a BIG DAY

• Members

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

This is a scripted boss right? Cause if not, I freaking need to know how you did this!!! xD

#4 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

Nope, not scripted in the least. I sent this version in for the EotM, but I am going to see if I can improve him by using regular view instead of sideview gravity to get rid of needing the Invisible Projectile Shooter enemies as I think it takes something away from the battle, but making it wasn't too difficult once I figured out how to do this.
I just put the empty face body down as regular tiles with the secret tile flags to make the body vanish once the boss has been beaten. For the actual boss set up I made an empty face walking enemy head (no step count) that "splits on death" which requires you to hit it with an item of your choice to start the battle. I originally wanted to have the head do the fire breath attack when the face appeared for the first phase, but as you need to have a step count it didn't work in sideview gravity as the head would just walk through the solid combo that I had to either side (hence adding in the breath projectile shooter on the bottom). I set the head to need to be shot with arrows under the breath Projectile Shooter at the bottom of the Thunderbirds tail where the gap is, which I had "Split on Death" to a dissapearing head, which I set up as a Leever type enemy for this final phase and made it so that some items can Stun it (i.e. Superbombs) but you need to hit the face (when it appears) with the sword to do any damage. (It works alot better if you set up some Combo Cycling on the platforms that either vanish and reappear or changes back and forth to damaging combos, such as appearing spikes). I also have the other two projectile shooters (normal fireball shots) at the tips of the wings (though these are optional)
The set up this was wasn't all too hard at all really, it was seeing what didn't work after this that was the real time drainer and hard part. I could have really made this boss alot better if Sideview gravity wasn't as bad for enemy movement as it is, which is why I'm experimenting with a normal screen set up now for making improvements.

Edited by Limebeer, 04 March 2015 - 10:18 PM.

#5 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:06 AM

Yeah, just upgraded my Thunderbird boss, and got it to work beautifully in normal gravity! It worked so well I'm contemplating making a third phase to go with what I have :D I'm still working on getting the changes I made to work in sideview, but as of now, I was right and using Normal view gravity was the right way to go in making it how I envisioned! I also altered how the final phase is played out in ways of attacking the vanishing/appearing face. You now have to reflect fireballs back at him, which gets hard as he can now properly do his breath attack (I was able to thankfully get rid of the bottom Projectile breath shooter) so it'll be alot more fun!
I also changed the arena a bit as seen here :

3rbJFl1.png

I must say... I made him alot more fun of a boss this way ;) Sword does less damage to it now in the final phase, but I added in that it can receive full damage from reflected fireball attacks! (I'm contemplating making the Magic Boomerang capable of this instead of just the Fire Boomerang, though I have to read up on how if it's not obvious in the Item Editor) I'm also going to have combo cycling to make certain platforms have damaging combos (or maybe even change to water) to make it so that you cannot just stand on one platform but have to move around.

• Joelmacool likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users