Let's Play Forum Rules

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

Let's Play Forum Rules

We recently asked the community about the state of the LP forum. The responses, whether comments or "likes," indicated that many people don't like threads that comprise only YouTube URL dumps.

We acknowledge that a few people who wanted the YouTube URL dumps to stop also went on to say the issue shouldn't be forced. We are also grateful to the LPers such as Fabbrizio, SpacemanDan, pixcalibur, NewJourneysFire, and others who in the past few weeks have made efforts to be more descriptive in their LP posts without further prompting or they were already doing this before the thread was created. However, there have been other people that have just kept on posting YouTube URL dumps as before. While it's fine to disagree with the concept of detailing LP video posts, the real problem are the people who have completely dismissed the recommendations entirely in lieu of giving them a tiny bit of thought. A few people that responded negatively or felt that things were fine did give some serious thought to things, thankfully. Even if they continued to do URL dumps afterwards that was fine. But still, we felt that too many LPers were blowing the community off without even considering it.

So we're introducing some rules for the LP forum in the hopes of turning this into an actual forum instead of a YouTube URL dumping ground.

After giving people a few weeks to get their threads in order, we have archived non-compliant threads pre-dating the introduction of these rules to clean up this forum a bit. We did not delete the threads, but they are archived and locked in a public archive forum.

Old LP Thread Archive: http://www.purezc.ne...p?showforum=287

All existing PureZC rules apply in this forum, but here are the additional rules:

1. All Let's Play update posts must contain descriptive words that are more than just a part number designation and/or a link.

If you can't be bothered to type a bit of related text to go with your update posts, it's going to be considered spam. We're not asking you to spoil the whole episode or anything. We just need an idea of what's going on so that we can find stuff. You're allowed to be creative as long as it's related and will make sense after watching the video.

Examples (you do not have to follow this exact template):

• "Part 12. I stumbled into the Forest Temple and it has a neat twist I wouldn't expect in a ZC quest."
  • "Part 15. The Radical Train is anything but radical with this mach speed section."

2. All Let's Plays that have their own threads for a single game or game series must at least tell what the game is and be a little informative about it in their opening post (OP).

You don't have to write an essay or anything; rather, one or two sentences are fine. The rule of thumb here is that if people have to look up on a search engine what the thread covers on a basic level, you've not followed this rule.

Examples:

• "Super Smash Bros Wii U is a fighting game featuring Nintendo characters with a few 3rd party gaming icons thrown in as well. Unlike most fighting games, Smash Bros has heavy platforming elements and movesets that are easy to perform, giving it a unique gameplay style with lots of depth while still being accessible to casual players. The game can be played competitively or as a party game. Come be a part of the fun as I challenge myself by battling through the highest difficulty of all the single player modes."
  • "The Revenge is a 1.84 quest created by PrinceMSC, even though the database says it's for 1.90. It's the first quest in the two part Revenge series. It was the first quest I played when I ran into ZC and I really liked it, so let's see how it holds up now."

3. All Let's Play Megathreads (putting all of your LPs into a single thread) must at least tell what the game is and be a little informative about it when starting up a new game.

This is a variation of the second rule to include megathreads. If you're starting up a new game inside a megathread, you need to introduce it. That can either be done in the post where the LP starts or in the opening post of the thread. Refer to the second rule for more information on that.

It's worth noting this doesn't generally apply for streaming threads if you're just going to announce you are doing a stream. That's okay. It'd be nice to do it with posting stream recordings in the LP forum, though.

---

We hope that these changes will help viewers find videos to watch and thus help let's players find an audience.

If you have any questions about these rules, feel free to ask the staff in the dropbox, through PMs, or in Assistance and Propositions.

• DCEnygma, Dawnlight, RyanBlazeheart and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users