A Long Time Coming

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A Link to Frustration

A Link to Frustration

Link to Frustration

• Members

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

I've been working on the quest in one form or another for quite a few years now. But every time I ever seemed to make any sort of progress something bad would happen. Sometimes I'd lose interest for a while, a few times my computer gave up the ghost, and once my quest file even spontaneously corrupted! But each time the quest was reconceptualized and expanded. And now I think I've finally come to the version that will make the cut! But what am I hoping to get out of this game? Well, that's still in a sort of flux.

There's some difficulty trying to maintain a level of balance between the style of the games and the style of the cartoon. How cheesy and childish can I make it without becoming annoying? How dark and more adult-oriented can I make it before it becomes depressing? Should Link be silent like in the games? Or should I give him dialogue to run with the characterization of the cartoons? Is Ganon more menacing like he is in the games? Or more of a pushover (like Megatron or Cobra Commander, losing to the heroes time and again on a weekly basis)? Well, I think I've finally got all of this figured out, and now the primary challenge stems from trying to keep in check both the wildness of my ambition, and the scope of my inexperience. And boy! Are they both forces to be reckoned with! What are some of the wild things my ambition is driving me towards? Well...

A long and complex plotline that could possibly conclude in one of multiple different endings.

Teeming hordes of new enemies and bosses (despite the fact I know next to nothing about scripting).

Simple and yet challenging puzzles beyond the scope of "push this block here".

A plethora of sidequests, including but not limited to: Gathering, Trading, Dungeon Diving, and Minigames.

(If pre-release buzz is promising) A subtly changed "New Game Plus" mode containing tweaked difficulty, new mechanics, removed mechanics (think "healing stools" in Skyward Sword, and alternate or additional dialogue (like Windwaker). Probably now "Second Quest" or "Master Quest" though, too much work.

Of course these are all just concepts that I hope to achieve. If Ocarina of Time's development is anything to go off of, my game won't even end up a fifth of what I envision. But hey! A guy can dream! Anyway, I'll consider releasing more details as I gauge interest. That, and of course as more pop up.

Any input is both welcome and appreciated, but make so help me if it's negative! :whap:

But seriously, even the negative stuff is welcome. No one's getting " :whap: ed". I promise! :whistle:

I JUST LOVE EMOTICONS! THEY'RE SO ANNOYING! :lol: :tard: :eyeitus: ... :naughty:

Edited by A Link to Frustration, 16 October 2014 - 11:10 PM.

• Eddy, WindRobe, Lightwulf and 2 others like this

#2 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:40 AM

I'm familiar with the feeling of my ambition getting in the way of making a well-structured game or growing so large that it's impossible to complete the project. It sounds like you have a lot of good things planned, but do be careful of making the scope too big.

I'm interested to see more of what you have planned. Screenshots, maybe?

#3 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:42 AM

Good luck! :) This sounds like a type of quest I will really enjoy. Screenshots would be great!

-Strike

#4 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

I find it interesting how your working quest title has the same name as your username. :P

Good luck with your quest anyway, you'll need it!

(BTW, smilies are indeed interesting and fun, but I wouldn't overuse them. I had to learn that the hard way in another forum... but that's another story, heh.)

EDIT: Dagnabbit, another typo!

Edited by HavoX, 17 October 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

Best of luck on the quest! I know how it feels to have a quest file get corrupted, happened to me far too many times in the past.

#6 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

Don'ts worry abouts your quest being too big kiddo.*

You can do things by 'acts' like make a few scenes in the beginning of the quest maybe a couple of dungeons to complete the ending of those scenes or storyline - then you can stop, take a rest, kinda do things by chapters.. Or do things by Season 1 or 2 or etcz if you so desire like an anime with new charas and villains/plots popping up time after time.  

Then everytime you can complete a chapter you can ask people to re-download part 2 of the quest to drag and replace with the first .qst file they got to continue from their Save of your quest to continue and do 3 or a couple more scenes with storylines or dungeons.

Also, don't forget to railroad the character too only going into area/places in your game you want for the beginning of the story and lock off all other locations until they are ready for use in the further seasons or parts 2 and 3/4 etcz.  

Take it sip by liquid sip and slowly.  

Also when you 'save as' your quests, the way i do it is -  (The Legend of Zelda - Title).qst  

I just 'save as' it again and again as  (The Legend of Zelda - Title1).qst  

(By adding a 1 digit too the end of my 'save as' data, to backup a copy of my quest every single-time and day after i am done working on the main file as a backup.  

I then re-open (The Legend of Zelda - Title).qst  

to keep on workings harder continuing things within this eternal loop.'

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 18 October 2014 - 02:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users