• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

For those moaning about an 'empty overworld', I want to clarify some points:
The 'game' is divided into themes, rather than standard regions, and levels, and the theme of the opening area is Tedium.

That said, it's indeed tedious to make a gigantic maze, with multiple mandatory forks, that are confusing, and require extreme backtracking and memorisation. Honestly, it'll be easier to solve (in the long term), than to create!
At present, this area is about 70% complete, and I won't be updating the download until I start on the next theme.

Each will focus on what I feel to be a terrible game idea, and should fit that theme.

For those who noticed the unreachable chest, Tedium will come back into play, once the player can jump. The chest isn't empty, although I'm not certain if I want to include a troll item, or something useful. Still, the sheer amount of backtracking, just to discover what lay within, further enforces the theme of Tedium.

My primary reason for uploading such an early alpha, was to provide some visual context. Kusoge a0.4 is nearly complete, and thereafter, I can move forward to some of my other planned nonsense. Another (very important) reason for which I'ven't updated this, is that in order to fix, and map out singular maze paths , I've needed to mark paths, and I will need to remove those path markers when I complete the area, as to deprive the unwary sod that plays this of any easily divined safe routes.

Kusoge is what I do when I'm in a good deal of pain, or otherwise in a spiteful mood, so it doesn't see constant daylight. I don't consider t a serious labour, but I do work on it. The game engine shares code with LoE, and thus, I don't need to make much in the way of custom code, or objects. It'll share many resources, and despite it goal of being awful, it'll be a game of sorts,. At least, in the way that Super Monkey Daibouken is a 'game'.

I will never defend it though: It's intended to be terrible, and unrewarding; but apparently people find that sort of thing amusing, and it's a good way to relieve stress. It's nice to see that people have kept the 'lowest rating' spirit. My goal is 0/5 by normal rating standards, (or 5/5 for being atrocious).

I have a handful of updates, but posting them before the first area is complete would serve no purpose--as if this does that?--so I'll wait for something that showcases the project goal before wasting an upload slot. I still find it baffling that people want me to work on this, as it began as a very private bit of narcissism.

If anyone else wants to be pure evil, and work on one of the themes, send me a PM.

The only thing I'ven't decided is how cool I want to make the entirely unfair enemies, and bosses. This is where the code-sharing with LoE comes in handy, as I can make a brilliant boss/enemy, and import it into Kusoge. In fact, earlier LoE DMAPs, and enemies are in the Kusoge.qst file, as I used that as a base. From that point, the two forked, but the starting overworld, and dungeons from LoE r47-r50 (or thereabout) are in Kusoge. Keeping tiles/combos in sync isn't really feasible now, nor needed. Kusoge doesn't need posh dungeons, and so forth, but enemies, and bosses are going to need some adjustments.

If anyone wishes to present me with suggestions on themes, or other game ideas, please do so. If they are in the spirit of the spiteful nature of the project (and not already present on my list), I'll give them due consideration. My thanks to everyone who tried this bag of vile, and at the same time: Shame on you. ;p

Really though, all comments are welcome, although you may wish to wait for the next release before deciding anything further, as I doubt that more need be said for a0.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users