Calling Beta testers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

The quest has reached Beta status just recently. So I want some beta testers to help me. Anyone who wants to test the beta version, can sign up in this topic. Afterwards everyone who signed in, will receive PM with download link to beta. While testing, look out for the following things:
1. Bugs, obviously.
2. Difficulty curve inconsistencies.
3. "Guide Dang It" moments in puzzles.
When it comes to reporting issues, please, put the reports here, with at least 1 related screenshot attached.
Any questions about the beta should go here.

Let`s hope that there will, be at least, no major or game breaking issues will exist in finished release.

Edited by Alucard648, 18 August 2014 - 06:13 AM.

#2 RetraRoyale

RetraRoyale

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

I can probably give it a go if you'd like.

#3 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:19 AM

I can probably give it a go if you'd like.

Sent DL link.

#4 RetraRoyale

RetraRoyale

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Ok, I've just played the first two stages, and It's been excellent. It's a fun game, and I haven't found many glitches, but I have some design-choice questions. And maybe a bug or two.

1. I kind of expected there to be a notification on the subscreen about what button to push to jump and read. It is pretty simple to figure out, and your signs are obvious enough to investigate, so it's not a big issue. Just something I'd fit in if you have the space to do it well. (Though I did notice the "L to Jump" on the active subscreen.)
  2. Sometimes I seem to fall off the stairs? I can't reproduce it repeatedly. Sometimes just changing direction on stairs causes me to fall through them.
  3. When reaching the top of the stairs, sometimes you don't 'dismount' them right away, and turning around makes you go back down. It confused me when it was happening, because I couldn't seem to go where I wanted, but after playing with it, I noticed that you just have to leave the block that the top stair is on before you can cross it in the other direction.

4. The first time I encountered water it was neither blue, nor wet looking. I think it should probably be animated, even if it's just a subtle ripple effect.

5. Silver rupees in Zelda were used like red coins in Mario, so it was weird seeing them as negative-hearts. Maybe just use black hearts instead? I don't know where the silver-rupees idea came from.

6. I have no clue what the ash-pile things do. I'm guessing they are like medicine or something? Not very good conveyance on that one.

7. It seemed way too easy to have a lot of hearts. I could practically spam sub-weapons constantly and have no trouble with hearts. That's probably just a problem for the first two levels because there is a lot of candles around.

8. The first boss was too easy. I just threw daggers at him and he never got a chance to attack. Maybe he should throw fireballs just to get me to move around a bit? They don't have to be lethal, just... this is a Simon's Quest kind of boss.

9. I started with arrows equipped, and they don't do anything against the first enemies. I didn't know if I was hurting them because I never heard the hurt sound, so I got beat up a bit. I didn't even realize I had a sword yet, since I was still on the first screen. If I had started with the sword, I would have known if I was actually doing damage or not.

10. There are a few blind jumps in Stage 2. They aren't bad, but they aren't necessary either, and those kinds of things are the reason ZC isn't great with side-scrollers. Horizontal blind jumps are manageable if you don't trick the player, but vertical ones are very annoying. (In particular, underneath the door to Medusa, you've got a vertical blind jump that doesn't need to be there.) I would really go out of my way to avoid these kinds of screen design. Your stair script is one of the best things for avoiding this, and it is one awesome innovation for making passable side-scrolling quests in ZC. That's probably why it was in Castlevania to begin with.

11. What is up with the dagger sound? Why does it make a "droop" noise when it hits enemies or the end of the screen? It makes me feel like something is dropping somewhere, like the floor is falling, or an enemy is going to drop on me. Lots of cognitive dissonance there.

12. The spikevator room in Stage 2 is really intimidating. It's not to bad, but boy is it scary. And getting hit is really dangerous. You should probably introduce these things in a more spread out fashion, so that the first puzzle doesn't look like a tech demo. You could just put a few harmless versions of these in previous rooms just to say "hey, these exist."

13. I used the whistle on Medusa and fell into my whirlwind and got sent back to the start of the game... That just doesn't seem fair or purposeful.

14. You also have a black Octorok to the screen left of where I fought the Blue Darknut that just ran off into the abyss every time I walked on screen. I don't know if he is meant to be there, but he probably shouldn't.

Edited by RetraRoyale, 19 August 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#5 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Sometimes I seem to fall off the stairs? I can't reproduce it repeatedly. Sometimes just changing direction on stairs causes me to fall through them.

I have exploited stairs as much as I could and can`t reproduce the bug. If you are meaning "go all the way to the top then move left and fall off stairs", it`s just like good old stairs oddity in CV1, and Grayswandir has nailed it perfectly. It was up to me to introduce it properly in quest`s level design.

When reaching the top of the stairs, sometimes you don't 'dismount' them right away, and turning around makes you go back down. It confused me when it was happening, because I couldn't seem to go where I wanted, but after playing with it, I noticed that you just have to leave the block that the top stair is on before you can cross it in the other direction.

Again, I have tried everything Grayswandir suggested, and either it has little to no effect, or causes Link to fall trough stairs in the middle.

The first time I encountered water it was neither blue, nor wet looking. I think it should probably be animated, even if it's just a subtle ripple effect.

This is because falling into water is instant death, unlike most Zelda games, 

Spoiler
I have painted it green to make it look more like acid, until I think about proper way to warn players about this hazard.

Silver rupees in Zelda were used like red coins in Mario, so it was weird seeing them as negative-hearts. Maybe just use black hearts instead? I don't know where the silver-rupees idea came from.

They are supposed to be black. They are Classic-styled Rupoors.

I have no clue what the ash-pile things do. I'm guessing they are like medicine or something? Not very good conveyance on that one.

These dust piles are supposed to be nothing more than remains of enemies killed by CV weapons. Next beta will have those piles removed from candle drops.

It seemed way too easy to have a lot of hearts. I could practically spam sub-weapons constantly and have no trouble with hearts. That's probably just a problem for the first two levels because there is a lot of candles around.

Reduced hearts drop rate from candles in the upcoming next beta. 

The first boss was too easy. I just threw daggers at him and he never got a chance to attack. Maybe he should throw fireballs just to get me to move around a bit? They don't have to be lethal, just... this is a Simon's Quest kind of boss.

Removed Stun-Lock potential for most bosses in the next beta.

I started with arrows equipped, and they don't do anything against the first enemies. I didn't know if I was hurting them because I never heard the hurt sound, so I got beat up a bit. I didn't even realize I had a sword yet, since I was still on the first screen. If I had started with the sword, I would have known if I was actually doing damage or not.

I would want to know how to change initial equipment assignment for starting frash new save file.

There are a few blind jumps in Stage 2. They aren't bad, but they aren't necessary either, and those kinds of things are the reason ZC isn't great with side-scrollers. Horizontal blind jumps are manageable if you don't trick the player, but vertical ones are very annoying. (In particular, underneath the door to Medusa, you've got a vertical blind jump that doesn't need to be there.) I would really go out of my way to avoid these kinds of screen design. Your stair script is one of the best things for avoiding this, and it is one awesome innovation for making passable side-scrolling quests in ZC. That's probably why it was in Castlevania to begin with.

Checked level 2 and found one horizontal blind jump. Fixed. As for vertical blind jumps, there are staircases exist to indicate abot that.

What is up with the dagger sound? Why does it make a "droop" noise when it hits enemies or the end of the screen? It makes me feel like something is dropping somewhere, like the floor is falling, or an enemy is going to drop on me. Lots of cognitive dissonance there.

Debug sound used to test stdWeapons.zh header. Fixed in the next beta.

The spikevator room in Stage 2 is really intimidating. It's not to bad, but boy is it scary. And getting hit is really dangerous. You should probably introduce these things in a more spread out fashion, so that the first puzzle doesn't look like a tech demo. You could just put a few harmless versions of these in previous rooms just to say "hey, these exist."

This room has been built while learning basic usage of FFC`s and changers. Simplified in next beta.

I used the whistle on Medusa and fell into my whirlwind and got sent back to the start of the game... That just doesn't seem fair or purposeful.

This warp system is used to backtrack to previous levels in the search for missed items and done to prevent "Lost Forever" situation. As for whirlwinds, in the next beta they are disabled in the rooms with whistle triggers and Queen Medusa and his clones.

You also have a black Octorok to the screen left of where I fought the Blue Darknut that just ran off into the abyss every time I walked on screen. I don't know if he is meant to be there, but he probably shouldn't.

One of my jokes. Expect to see more of them in later levels.

Good luck with next levels.

#6 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the updated file.

I want to point that those animated gears is a really great feature to the adventure.

i show a screen about it also.

6-3.png

As you can see in that screen i just have the first sword still , i missed the next sword somehow.

Did you change the location? of that sword beacuse i found it in the first file but not in the updated file.

And now those "Dragon skull Cannon" works very well :bounce:

#7 Obderhode

Obderhode

There is great power in knowledge.

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

I'm willing to test for you. :)

#8 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

Hi

Just here to tell that the latest updated file works well so far.

And i really like the whip weapon :bounce: and many other things. (i dont want to spoil nothing here).

#9 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

Hi

Just here to tell that the latest updated file works well so far.

And i really like the whip weapon :bounce: and many other things. (i dont want to spoil nothing here).

Thanks. Waiting on RetraRoyale`s verdict. If it`s positive, the quest is ready to be released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users