My new idea is instead to equip the elements themselves, and charge them up to use the actual spells. Just press the equipment button once to cast the tier-1 spell, hold the button for a set time to charge up and cast the tier-2 spell, and charge it longer to use the tier-3 spell.
- Fewer items to equip; more functions from one equipped item
- Forces the player to use 1 element at a time (if selecting A and B equipment is disabled)
- Forces the player to think about what magic to use instead of 'spamming' one spell
- Makes the most powerful spells harder to use (think Din's fire)
- Seems more realistic (at least according to my story)
- Might be a little bit confusing to some players
- Harder to use
Please explain why you like the method you do, but if you really don't feel like taking the time to put your decision into words just go ahead and vote without posting.