This is my third announcement in 3 months. Something must be wrong.
Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that there are quite a few changes going on with the scripting forums. Over the past few months we’ve noticed some problems with submissions as well as some posts not being in the appropriate forums, so we’re going to be shaking things up a bit.
1. Script Database Discussion and Scripting Practice have been removed
Both of these forums were removed because, simply put, a lot of people merely posted their questions about scripts and scripting in the main Scripting Discussion forum. Therefore, to make things simpler and easier, we’re removing those two forums. Script Requests will still be there though, at least for the time being.
2. The Script Database will switch to a private dropbox system
In all honesty, the Script Submissions that is currently setup has pretty much become the Script Database, and this just doesn’t work out for the best. Lots of those submissions are buggy (some of which aren’t properly tested by the developers of the script) or are confusingly posted. Therefore, to alleviate that problem, we’ll require everyone submit their scripts to the dropbox for us to look over, test, and ensure that it’s using a new template that we created.
3. New submissions will have to adhere to a new template and set of guidelines
There new list of rules and guidelines to follow when submitting a script to the database. Along with that, there is a new template setup for people to follow. Any new submission not following the template will be promptly denied. These changes were made to make scripts easier to read and easier for people to add to their own quests.
4. All current submissions will be moved into an archive temporarily
With us starting up a new template, there are a lot of old scripts that will have to be sifted through and updated. There’s a lot in there that won’t even work anymore due to ZScript’s changes. So what we have done is move all of those old submissions into the Script DB Archives. The Script DB Staff will be going through them as quickly as they can, converting them to the template, testing them, and moving over the ones that work to the actual database.
5. Nick and myself will be joining in to help out
These are a lot of changes, and they’d be a lot for just poor ol’ SpacemanDan to handle. So Nick and I are offering our support as far as managing the script database.
6. What should you do if you have a script already in the database or in the submissions forum?
Well, like I said before, we will be going through all current entries both in the database and in the submissions forum, so you don’t have to worry about it. However, if you would like your script to be added to the new database faster (or want to make things easier for us), resubmit it to the dropbox using the new rules and guidelines. New submissions will take priority, so if you add it there, it’ll be taken care of faster.
7. Other Miscellaneous Stuff
- The warning announcement at the top of the scripting forum has been removed.
- You are now able to comment on and rate scripts in the database. Note that replies are for commenting purposes and troubleshooting for that script only. Questions about combining scripts should be taken to the Scripting Discussion forum.
- Once we’re done going through the Script DB Archives, we’ll be moving the Archives out of the scripting section.
We’re hoping that these changes will help make the Script Database feel a bit more like… well… an actual database. And hopefully it’ll allow for everything to be a lot more organized and friendly for people to use.
If anyone has any comments or questions, let us know.