Not an interesting announcement, but important nonetheless.
Check the new rules out here.
For tldr folk: Our rules for the forums and site have been rewritten and revised.
More details: For the first time ever here, the plan was to make them a shorter read. This required most of it to be rewritten from the ground up. In fact, the new rules are now less than half the size of the previous version. While most rules remain the same, despite the reorganization, the following are some changes to note:
- 32 sections, some of which were rules and some of which were not, have now been scaled down to a short introduction, 9 main rules, and 4 sections on consequences.
- Shorter explanations of rules, as they are now more to the point and read less like a legal contract.
- No more table of contents with links to sections. With this now shorter set of rules, we feel these extra parts are no longer necessary.
- There is no longer a Disrespect of Community Rule. We really don't care what you say outside of this site. It really only matters when it breaks other rules already there, and within this community.
- Image dimension limits in posts remain 600 in both dimensions, but are now reduced to 400 specifically for images in signatures. Large sigs are annoying, pretty much, and adding more images are the quickest way to make them too big.
- All signature limit information is now found in just one section.
- No enforcement of anything that could occur in a PM, except for advertising and problems that trickle into other areas. If someone is bothering you through PMs, use your PM block list if you must.
- Guideline on sarcasm removed.
- Discussion of staff and member rights shortened and kept in one place (in the introduction) instead of two.
- Sections on staff ranks, right of appeal, contacting staff, and becoming staff have all been removed, as these are neither rules nor consequences. If we ever feel the need to include them again, they will be placed somewhere else.
There are more changes, but feel free to look over it. It should be an easier read, though. If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to use this topic for that. This should be very easy to adjust to for anybody who has been a member here for a while, but it should also be easier to go through for new members.