Yuurei Randomizer Discussion/FAQ

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

I am pleased to announced that Yuurei Randomizer is now released! Be sure to grab the Extra Enhanced Music.

What is it?
This is a Randomizer for Aevin's quest Yuurei. Therefore, it's highly recommended that you play Yuurei first.

What's randomized?
The locations of all spells, coins, and health and magic upgrades are all shuffled around. Additionally, bosses now drop items, meaning that beyond the primary spells from Yuurei, six bonus character spells are in the drop pool. If you don't name your file, characters can also be randomly chosen from a pool of 22 possible characters! Furthermore, you can choose to start with Sound (Yuurei's starting spell) or randomize your starting spell from a pool of three starting spells. Additionally, bosses are randomized; each tier 1 boss location can have one of nine bosses tier 1 bosses, while each tier 2 boss location can have one of five arena-specific bosses. Additionally, there are eleven different final bosses that are randomly chosen!

How does game progression work?
Progression is much like that of a bonus run in Yuurei. There is no plot and no plot barriers. Defeating bosses will apply debuffs to a challenging final boss. You can fight the final boss whenever you feel adequately prepared and can reach their arena. The primary difference is that you start with the ability to swim, and barriers keeping you from entering The Sixth Area, Styx, Poison Corridor, and Phlegethon (both entrances) have been removed.

What's new from Yuurei?
There are lots of new things! For starters, there are several new bosses. Ten to be exact. For the tier 1 boss fights, the Riviere trio has been highly edited to work with the FA trio, and a new trio of bosses has been added, leading to a whopping 36 possible combinations. All tier 2 boss locations have two new bosses, for a total of five possible boss fights in each arena. A new superboss has been added to Yuurei's four normal final bosses, 3 standard superbosses, and 3 super secret superbosses.

Beyond that, there are two new spells (both of which have been patched into the latest Yuurei update, but one of which is exceptionally well hidden there). The first is Magic Stream, a new primary weapon and possible starting spell alongside wind and sound. It... well, why not see for yourself? The second is a handy new utility spell with plenty of uses, some a bit unorthodox.

Lastly, there are four new characters! First, off...

TiLk1B7.png
Gale, the protagonist of Shane and Avataro's Rite of the Storm, seemed like a natural choice for a new cameo character. With access to weather-themed spell upgrades, he's truly a force of nature. Also go play Rite of the Storm if you haven't already. :P Next up...

OHmBYSQ.png
A new trio of Aevin characters! Seeing as all the main characters of Yuurei were pulled from stories he's written, it only seemed natural to include a trio from another series of his. Meet Wan and Sue, the first two prototype units of a fast and powerful new line of robots. And Ven, a misanthropic boy who takes on the persona of one of the new models. And with abilities like his, you shouldn't argue. All three have a new signature ability and an ability to set them apart from the others, and do particularly well with sound magic.

All four of these characters are in the randomization pool, though as always, inputting their names as the file name will let you play as them. While they don't have boss fights representing them or the series they hail from yet, those will probably come in an update. I hope you can forgive me for temporarily being burned out after creating ten bosses already. :P

How many seeds are there?
There are 65517 playable seeds. Math buffs may be wondering why that number, rather than 65536. The reason is that, due to the randomization method, 19 seeds are uncompletable and will yield an error message if you try to input them. 0,0 is one of these seeds.

Is there a way for me to see some of the new boss fights?
Yes there is! Input your name as "Riviere" without the quotes to play a special game mode. In this mode, you are guaranteed to fight a specific set of Tier 2 bosses and the new Final Boss. Your odds of seeing a new Tier 1 boss are also increased to roughly 50% per fight. The bosses fought in this mode are very tough, so I would recommend not playing on difficult your first try, unless you're really good at ZC and/or are feeling masochistic.

I think I found a bug...
You probably did. While I've extensively bug tested the quest, I clearly can't test all 65516 possible runs of the game. If you find a bug, please let me know what went wrong, as well as the seed you're using.

Can I make a suggestion?
Yes! I'm planning on updating the quest over time with new bosses, new characters, and potentially new items or randomization methods (potentially, mind you), and I'd love to hear feedback or suggestions.
  • ShadowTiger, Shane, strike and 3 others like this

#2 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:03 AM

I made a goof with the sand-submerge tiles, and we updated to fix them, so you'll want to make sure you have the most recent file before playing. If you've already started a file, you can overwrite the quest without any trouble.

I have to say, I'm having a lot of fun with the quest. It's neat to see something that I made have so much work put into it that it feels fresh even to me. I think you'll all like it if you give it a shot. Well, unless you hated Yuurei. Then you probably won't like this either. So if you hated Yuurei, don't play this. But if you liked Yuurei, play this. Yeah. That simple. "But what if I'm somewhere in the middle, Aevin?" I can hear some of you asking, "What if I thought it was just okay?". Well, play or don't play depending on how you feel. I'm not here to tell you what to do.

... Anyway, file's updated, bug's fixed. Have at it! :)

• Naru likes this

#3 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:09 AM

There was a bug with one of the final bosses choosing not to attend the party. Make sure your file is up to date! There's no issues with updating mid-stream here. Sorry for any trouble for anyone who's already started a run.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Sorry for this... when Aevin updated the quest last night, he was unknowingly using an older version of the script so probably reverted some bug fixes and older (worse) version of one of the bosses. That's been fixed now, so please redownload the quest. Again, no problems with updating mid-stream.

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

3x bug fix combo? That's a first :P

Anyways, I'll try this out later tonight if I can peel myself away from BotW.

#6 csharporbflat

csharporbflat

Junior

• Members

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

what the heck is in this room? ANd how do I get to it

http://imgur.com/a/ambhY

i tried every which way and cannot figure it out

#7 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

what the heck is in this room? ANd how do I get to it

http://imgur.com/a/ambhY

i tried every which way and cannot figure it out

Once you know the correct sequence of moves to get through the maze path in Venter Mortis, start considering alternate ways you can do it....

#8 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

I'd suggest following Evan's advice, but here's a hint that spells it out if you still have trouble.

#9 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

I got 100%, but I'm missing 2 spells from my inventory, in the bottom right. How do I get those?

Spoiler

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

Those two spells actually aren't in the game. I ran out of locations to place them, for one, and I thought they were a bit too overpowered. If your subscreen shows 100%, then congrats, you've got 100%! :P

(There were actually five spells that didn't make the cut, most of them being insanely overpowered superboss spells, and one being too redundant with the function of another spell).

Out of curiosity, has anybody seen the new final boss yet? I'm imagining not, as I'd have heard people screaming about me, but I'm curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users