• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:31 AM

Logo_256.png

Remember my hit* game Carnage in Space? How much fun* it was? Well, good news! I'm making I made a sequel! And it is nothing like the first!
This one is an action platformer. And more importantly, it's an HTML5 (JavaScript) game you can play in your browser! As much as I love ZC, I really enjoy going beyond its limits with the Construct 2 game designer. And I'm hoping I can reach more people with it this way.

As of April 2017, the game is 99% done - just a few things to wrap up (and the Boss Rush challenge) before I put the Finished stamp on it.

In the meantime, it is very much playable - and now's your chance to play for free before it becomes a premium game!

PLAY NOW (and official website)

I don't often update this thread, but you can stay up-to-date on the official Facebook page. Comments, compliments, criticisms, and complaints are equally welcome on this thread or on Facebook.

Why not give it a try? It won't cost you anything but your patience and your sanity!

REDUNDANT PLAY BUTTON

Still here? Okay, sure. That's fine. Here are some tasty-looking screenshots for your viewing pleasure!

Mortuus.png
PhaseDash.png

Level%207.png

Awesome graphics are by Feeniks, and other awesome* graphics* are by me. Awesome* gameplay is nearly all custom-designed (with some built-in behaviors), so expect some rough edges as I continue to polish it up a whole lot better now, not to mention even more awesome.

* Relative terms.

Edited by MoscowModder, 29 April 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#2 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Anyone interested in trying out the prototype?

More importantly, anyone interested in helping out with the graphics (for pay)?

Edited by MoscowModder, 22 June 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#3 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

I'm noticing a distinct lack of replies on this thread. Hmm.

Maybe I shouldn't have gone with that closed beta thing, I guess.

Anyway. NEW DEMO!

Features:

• Whole new, original level 1 tileset by Feenicks!
  • Level 1 is almost finished!
  • Loads of new weapons, including the Fusion Spear and Rocket Launcher!
  • A prototype for level 8, the SPACE LEVEL!
  • Ladders.
  • Tons of bug fixes
  • Slightly more consistent, and much more beautiful, UI elements
  • CHEAT CODES!

Want to try? Just point your browser (once again, preferably Chrome) at this page (and bookmark it)!

If you want to use a gamepad, you can use the free JoyToKey to map it to your keyboard.

What are you waiting for?! Go try it!

#4 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Well, I'm not really sure about what's here so far. I like the idea and the graphics, the level design for the first level is pretty nice for the most part, and the music is pretty good.

However, there are some problems with it. First off, the end of the first level has a massive jump with no indication that there's more to the level. I thought this was one of those really early demos where the level design just stops after a bit, and just randomly decided to jump to my death to see what would happen since I hadn't died yet. After falling for long enough to think that you had just failed to put a falling death on the bottom level boundary, I landed next to some random building that ended up being the level goal. The lazy way to fix this would be to put a trail of money to show that the player should jump, but I think the level design just needs expanded to guide the player downwards.

The keyboard controls are fairly difficult to use, and it would be nice if they could be changed by the player. Since there are three buttons besides the directions and jumping, might I recommend WASD for movement, J for melee, K for shooting, L for dashing, and the spacebar for jumping? One of my favorite PC games uses IJKL to simulate face buttons on a controller, WASD for the directions, and QE and UO for the two sets of shoulder buttons, and it works surprisingly well.

Speaking of controls, momentum is a bit of a problem. It took a really long time for me to get comfortable with the controls, and even then, I was still having a bit of trouble.

The space level was a bit disappointing. Pulling off something like this is very impressive when done in Zelda Classic, but when you're using an actual programmed game engine that can be made specifically for what you want, just having randomly generated enemies appear that don't do anything isn't very interesting. You said it was an early prototype, so do you intend on just expanding what's there, or using it for actual level design later on? If you're just expanding what you've got, then I'd recommend something like a simplified Touhou-style level design since all you'd need to do is manipulate the patterns that the enemies spawn in. If you're going to work on actual level designs, I'll wait and see what you come up with before judging it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you play the space level long enough, your graphics get all glitched up and you end up with a growing wall of junk graphics approaching. Kind of disappointing because I thought it was going to be a boss before I realized what it was.

Edited by kurt91, 02 February 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#5 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

Sorry for not pointing this out. The level is still unfinished; I'm still waiting on a few more graphics and a boss idea. That's why the update says level 1 is almost finished. I KNOW I'M LAZY OKAY.

Construct 2 seems to have very poor support for configurable controls. I'm not sure if I can make them customizable easily. However, WASD and JKL and space sounds like a better combination.

I'm already comfortable with the controls, but I've been playing the demo a lot, so I can't tell. Could you expand on that?

I'm not sure when the space level started doing that bizarre wall of glitch thing. It didn't do that originally. Yes, it is still an early prototype so there's more to be done. Lots more. Somehow I never thought of making patterns of enemies; I'll definitely have to add that in, along with more enemy types (that all do stuff), more background stuff (explosions and whatnot), and a boss.

#6 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:11 AM

Well, this is one of the only games I've ever played where your major buttons are arranged vertically rather than horizontally. Most PC games tend to put their buttons side-by-side, and while I don't know if there's a direct correlation with most people, it seems to make the controls easier to remember and feel more natural. Even after playing through most of the level, I could not quickly and easily switch weapons, and the dash just never got used. I basically had to reduce everything down to jumping and melee just so that I could quickly react to situations without fumbling around to find the button I needed, and I tend to play PC games with a finger hovering over each button already.

I think that the problem with the controls is that the character just moves too damned fast. I mean, look at him. He's covered in bulky black armor, yet moves at a speed I would expect from a crappy Sonic fan-game. Speed like that is fine, as long as there's an acceleration period so that you can make minute adjustments when needed instead of just tapping the button and going flying. I'm not saying to turn this into a direct ripoff, but considering both games use melee, guns, and dashing similarly, I kind of recommend looking to the Mega Man Zero and ZX games as a reference as to player speed and maneuverability. (Damn, almost got through that word without needing spell-check.)

The momentum issue is also present with the space level as well. Given how large everything looks, you would expect the ship to move somewhat slower. I started playing, and immediately started frantically searching for a focus button like in Touhou, to slow the ship down to a more reasonable speed.

You never thought of enemy patterns in the space level? Forgive me if I sound a bit harsh, for it's not intended in any way, but how many shooter games like this have you played? I don't play very many, but patterns are probably the most basic thing they have in them. The patterns themselves are what give each level a unique identity, since as the developer you have the entire level under such powerful control compared to nearly every other type of game in existence. (other than possibly a visual novel) In a shooter game like this, you need to keep in mind that the player only moves at the exact speed you wish them to, giving you intricate control over the timing for absolutely everything.

In a way, you can think about it like choreography. The only thing the player has to show their progression would be the background and the music, so the most natural and basic thing you can do is play that to your advantage. The background needs fitting enemies to match it, while the music can be used to mark timing. As the music plays, it should feel like a conductor leading your level. When the music is fierce, fast-paced, and exciting, the enemies should have the player under heavy fire, weaving and dodging through a maelstrom of bullets and projectiles. When the music slows and ebbs, that's the most natural time to give the player a breather. Not by stopping absolutely everything, but by drastically slowing the rate enemies approach and giving them fewer things to focus on at once, so that they still have to pay attention to avoid a fatal mistake, but they have an easier time of it.

The best example I can think of for something like this would be the final level of the game Genetos. It's a vertical top-down shooter, but in this level, the background music is a non-looping MP3 file. The entire level and its pacing revolves beautifully around the music to the point where it all feels very natural, and you can actually lose yourself in the music while playing, yet still do amazingly well due to how integrated the gameplay is with it. The game's very short, at 5 levels, and freeware, so if you want to take thirty minutes to play through it on easy mode to get an idea, you can. If not, there's YouTube footage without a doubt. I recorded it, myself, but I wouldn't recommend that particular video due to audio lag.

#7 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

By default, the engine has momentum enabled. However, I thought it felt kinda sluggish for me. There may be a "happy medium" for the right momentum setting, so I'll have to experiment. This game is, in fact, inspired by the MMZ and MMZX games. I don't remember what the momentum was like in them, however. I just played MMZ4 for a minute and it felt pretty nearly instantaneous to me. About the "bulky black armor", it's not actually that bulky, but it's hard to determine at this resolution. Sorta how the main character of La-Mulana looks crazy thin in his portrait but very wide in his sprite. The main character's "thing" is getting around quickly (with his rocket-powered jumps and dashes) and getting rid of enemies quickly, so he's supposed to be fairly quick.

You're absolutely right about the enemy layouts, and I do feel kinda stupid for not thinking of it earlier. I'll probably end up placing every enemy by hand for the optimal experience rather than letting a randomizer do it.

Edited by MoscowModder, 03 February 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#8 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

Big news!

1. Got the layout of level 1 finished, and added the boss (hand-drawn by me)!

2. Got my own domain, at carnageinspace.com! Soon to follow is my grand scheme of monetization. Muahahaha.

3. I made a new video showing off the first level and the boss... and the new, public domain music.

#9 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:45 AM

So, now that you've gotten more stuff done, does this mean I get to be more nit-picky about it?

First off, not a complaint (yet!), but I really hope that you decide to put a leafy foreground in front of the level. It might hide the ludicrously-shaped trees you're running around in. No, I'm not complaining about the trees, you kind of need to take some liberties from realism if you're going to have decent level design, but you have to admit that from the zoomed-out screen, they do look a little ridiculous as-is. (By the way, I can't wait to see what kind of background you come up with.)

Now, since we're on the topic of graphics, I have a bit more to say. Are the enemy designs final, or are they still placeholder graphics? I mean, obviously the ones with the larger pixels are placeholder, but the flying enemies that shoot at you are what caught my attention. The angle they have doesn't match the rest of the game, and once it caught my eye, it drove me nuts throughout the video.

The boss looks interesting, but the graphics are again bugging me. Can you draw a few more frames for walking? As it is, it looks like it's sliding along the ground when it moves, and since it doesn't appear to have wheels built into the feet (even if it did, the movement would look different. Like Sonic 2's Silver Sonic boss fight when it moves along the ground), it doesn't look right.

Finally, a quick mention on the level design. For the most part, it looks fun to play through, but near the end, it seems like you have a blind jump where the player has to guess and pray that there will be ground beneath. Could you possibly raise the ground one tile, or add one extra platform between the ledge and the ground? If it would make it possible to run away from the boss fight, you could have some sort of security laser-wall that goes up once the boss fight starts. It's a common enough thing to do that I'm sure nobody would complain about it.

#10 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

I don't know much, but I have one thing to say:

Level one has a shortcut in it. In the first tree you jump through.

When you jump though it, if you do some wall jumping on the right side of the tree, you skip quite a bit of the level. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but if it's not, you may want to fix it.

As I said, I don't know all that much about making games, so I have nothing else really to say.

#11 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Leaves: Like you said, the appearance of the trees is pretty crazy and unrealistic, and there's not much I can do about that. I added some leaves in the background already; I assume you want me to add some foreground leaves to cover up oddly-designed areas where you can't go?

Enemies: The common enemies are probably going to be replaced eventually.

Boss: I can try to make it pick up its feet more when it walks.

Blind jump: I'll see what I can do. As you guessed, I don't want there to be any way to escape from the boss.

Shortcut: Shortcuts are good! They cut down on your completion time!

Also, I spent most of today building an actual website around the game. Pay it another visit to see the new stuff. I also plan on adding more stuff like a comments/bug-reporting page.

Edited by MoscowModder, 01 March 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#12 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

TONS OF HUGE UPDATES!

It's been a while since I posted here, but I've been posting a lot on my Changelog/Dev Blog.

Biggest features:

• Level 1 is complete and has an opening cutscene!
  • Cloud-syncing saves and a highscores page!
  • Changelog/Dev Blog! You should subscribe to keep up with all the updates coming out.

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Meh, I dunno what to say about this. It was fun, but the gameplay felt too much like actraiser. The only thing this game adds to the Actraiser feel is the gun an the ability to wall jump. Speaking of the Wall Jump, I find that the mechanics behind it is executed awkwardly and it really kept me from enjoying the feeling that wall jumps tend to feel.

The enemies have no knock back, the character has no knock back (or none that is actually noticable). If the enemy jumps at you, you are at risk of taking more damage if you don't move. There are simple mechanics that have been used in gaming since the 80's and a formula that's only broken by poorly managed games, this game unfortunately suffers the same fate. Not saying that it's poorly managed, but the physics doesn't feel right at all.

This same mechanical issue is what made the boss feel awkward.

But ya, comparing it to Actraiser is probably the best way I could explain this. It isn't bad, it was fun playing, but it needs work.

#14 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

I've never heard of Actraiser so I don't know what you're comparing it to.

What is a "poorly-managed game"?

What, specifically, is wrong with the physics? The wall-jumping?

#15 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

I think he meant to say 'Not saying the [mechanics] are managed poorly'.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carnage in Space, Dev Thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users