Light of the Heavens 3.0

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#91 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

I think that's the room I mean.  I must be doing something wrong.  Like others, I'm having a little trouble manipulating the magnet.  I'll figure it out. 

#92 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

How many times do I have to shoot that circling menace thing?  It never stops long enough to give me time.  Either that or the timer runs out.  I've lost to it like 10 times in a row and I'm getting very frustrated.  Am I missing something?

#93 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

He takes twenty hits. The trick isn't to wait for him to stop, but rather to get his timing down, stand still, and fire an arrow so that he flies into it. If it's too difficult, you can come back later. The item you get at the very end of the next dungeon will definitely help out, though that means you'll have to tackle the dungeon with one less heart container and you'll have to wait a little longer to get another useful item.

#94 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

I'm an idiot.  I thought you could only damage him when he stopped and shot those projectiles.  Beat him the first time once I realized that wasn't the case.  Duh.  

• Magi_Hero likes this

#95 csharporbflat

csharporbflat

Junior

• Members

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

first of all really liking the quest,  definently give it 5 stars. LIttle on the short side, but that also makes it better, without having a huge overworld to explort.

My question is where does the final boss battle take place? i beat sky palace and don't know what to do from here.

#96 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:39 PM

I'm glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for the feedback! To get to the final battle, go back to Palm Village and use the raft on the dock near the lower right of the village.

#97 CSD

CSD

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

I had a good time trying to sequence break this quest, lol.

If you end game after Rose gives you a key but before the cutscene ends, you can come back, watch the cutscene again, and get another key. You can get as many keys as you want, and these things aren't level specific either so you can use them anywhere. My next thought was to try and get the best ending without having to follow the proper story path, since I could get the final rune without having to get the other key from Rose. I think only the sword is needed to trigger the best ending?, but unfortunately the check for the final rune in the light sword scene is in the middle of a block which checks for rosefollows. Not one to give up so easily, I got Rose at the start of the game and tried to enter the tidal boss room without losing her from my party. Let me tell you I tried. If you keep the walls and the swim warps to your back (possible with a few uncharged spin attacks), you can get right up next to the warps without tripping rose to walk into the room. But the hopping animation forces your facing direction, it takes 10 frames to enter the warp, and it's maybe 2 frames too many. It was close enough and Rose is fickle enough that I couldn't quite rule it out, lol. (If you try this, btw, you enter the warp before Rose reaches her final position, which doesn't set the cutscene flag, and so you won't get your story path after the boss.) Anyway, after the fight I could have avoided the story path trigger by ending game right after getting the rune (actually in this case it might have played the cutscene where Rose leaves me instead), allowing me to keep Rose for the light sword scene while not having to follow the longer story path to get the best ending. Well I tried OK. Also I found a ZC bug that breaks every quest's global arrays, which would have made the game a lot easier, but I hit a dead end at the magma sanctum boss, where the enemy that spawns is invulnerable. But at least you can get lots of keys I guess, lol. It's about 30s per key, so they ought to be faster to get than almost every key in the game.

That was a dumb story but I wanted to share it ok. :P

Edited by CSD, 17 July 2016 - 11:06 PM.

• Russ likes this

#98 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:43 AM

You... you're the kind of gamer who gives game designers nightmares. I spent a lot of time debugging all my cutscene triggers, trying to make sure you wouldn't get locked out of crucial events by F6ing in cutscenes, etc. I guess it never occurred to me that people might farm for keys using them.

I'm pretty sure the check for the best ending is only a sword check, but I'd need to double check. Your antics in the Tidal Sanctum actually have me curious if I can break my own game now. I might have to do some poking around and see if it's possible. Thanks for giving me ideas!

#99 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:56 AM

Also I found a ZC bug that breaks every quest's global arrays

Could I have more details on how to do this? Might be fun to run through some of my own quests and see what crazy things break when using this bug. Also the devs would undoubtably want to know if there's a ZC bug that interferes with scripts.

#100 CSD

CSD

• Members

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

http://armageddongam...0-Global-Arrays

You end game during the opening wipe of a first run. It was apparently introduced when they gave you the ability to get out of hung scripts.

(Reading the description of how this bug works though... makes me wonder if mid-frame endgame/save is possible. I don't know enough to guess on that.)

The boss monster in problematics dies easy but then nothing happens :(. No Future.

I added a check to my global script to see if an array is the size it's supposed to be and displayed an error message if so.

--

Yeah besides getting a bunch of keys from Rose, you can miss storypath=1 in those two ways that I talked about in tidal sanctum. If I noticed any other little things I forgot what they were.

Good luck, Russ. :P

I was just looking for that sequence break, so I didn't try too hard to break any of the other scripts.

Edited by CSD, 18 July 2016 - 01:32 PM.

#101 Pamfafoofle

Pamfafoofle

• Members

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:45 AM

Just wanted to say that I just finished this quest today. This quest was totally different from any other Zelda game I've played--the relatively small size; focus on story over item collection, upgrades, lots of caves, etc.; the most convoluted overworld map I've ever seen despite its small size and relative lack of items to acquire in it; that small "choose your own adventure" vibe added to the mix...I'm still trying to process whether I actually enjoyed this style quest or not, but am glad to have tried it and congratulate you for the work you did on it, Russ. I was initially worried about the "three endings" and how involved I would have to be to get everything out of this quest (play through three different times?), but was pleased to be offered the chance for the best ending upon realizing that I had only accomplished the neutral one. (I had returned to the Sky Tower altar after getting the third ruins piece from Cloudy Sanctum--which I did after fighting Lucis-- but before going to the dock, but didn't realize that the reason the altar room was empty was because it was daytime; I had assumed the ruins markers disappeared as part of the story. So I went to the dock not realizing I could've easily gotten a better sword by just going to the Ocarina switch first!)

I initially thought that I would have several questions, but I think they've all been answered in this thread. Just two specific comments:

-I promptly found the glitch with the wand puzzles where one can stand against the barrier and fire the wand north over it...I'm sure it made solving those puzzles much easier than it ought to have been, but because it was legitimately allowed by the game, I couldn't be motivated to do the extra work to come up with a "real" solution that didn't involve bypassing the barrier.

-Even with the hints on this thread, it took me forever to locate the bombable wall where my final Heart Container resided...I felt that wall wasn't very obvious, and would've appreciated the extra HC much earlier in the quest when I ought to have collected it!

Thanks again for making this quest!

• Rambly and Russ like this

#102 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the kind words! I'm really glad you enjoyed (I think) it! I don't pretend to be the best game designer in the world, but I do try to pull off new things, for better or worse. I think I had Rose hint at coming back to the altar at night, but also as that was several years ago, it could've been a fairly esoteric hint so I apologize if it wasn't exactly clear. I completely understand your mentality with the puzzle glitch, as I likely would've done the same, so I hardly hold it against you. I'd try to update it except I'd probably break more things than I'd fix at this point. As for the heart container, which bomb wall was this? I've noticed that I often have bomb walls that seem really obvious to me, but turn out to be pretty obtuse to others, so I'm trying to train myself to recognize and avoid using those.

• Rambly likes this

#103 Pamfafoofle

Pamfafoofle

• Members

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I've decided that I did enjoy it; it was just something unexpected. You get props for originality, and the shorter quest length seems quite appropriate for the multi-ending heavily storied style you brought to it. It'll probably be a while before I decide to try the sequel, but I'll keep it in mind if I decide I'm too bored with more classic Zelda Classic content.

There's only one bombable wall on Palm Island. Close to the center; kill 3 Dodongos inside for a Heart Container. It had a slightly different floor tile in front of it, but didn't look like it had any distinguishing marks on the wall itself.

• Rambly likes this

#104 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

Oh, uh, as a word of warning, the sequel isn't nearly as good. It was actually made before this quest (as this one's a remake of an earlier one), and while I don't think it's terrible or anything, it has... quite a lot of decisions that I look back and cringe at. I've definitely made better quests than that one.

As for that bomb wall, noted. Different floor tiles is something I often try to use to mark bomb walls, but I am noticing a pattern of people overlooking those. I'll probably be a lot more guarded with using those in the future.

• Rambly likes this

#105 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:39 AM

(stuff)

man, it's so rare these days to see people show up on the forums out of nowhere and give their feelings on what they play so thoughtfully and with such kindness.  i know it's kind of silly, but i just wanted to say that i really appreciated this post, and it's heartening to me as someone who used to develop quests (and wants to start again soon).

• Russ and Pamfafoofle like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users