• Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

#1 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:19 AM

Link's Quest for the Hookshot

2.5 Build: 1286 (or something close to that)

Quest Description:
This is my first completed quest, so please keep in mind that it isn't necessarily going to be superspecialawesome quality.

This whole project started when I first saw A Link to the Shadows by Bloodstar. I loved the way it mixed old and new to make something completely different. I looked all over for the tileset it was made with only to find that to my dismay, I couldn't find it. So I began to assemble my own tileset using the classic set as a base and adding bits and pieces from Pure and DoR as well as some of my own tiles and sprites from other games. As I did this, the idea for this quest began to form in my head and I set to work. About 3 dungeons in, I made a topic in the quest design forum asking for advice and criticism. I was amazed by the positive responses I got. Without those responses, I think I may have given up then and there. While it was originally intended to be a joke quest, I myself really have no clue what it's become. I'll leave it up to you to decide.

This Quest Contains:
2 Overworlds
18 Dungeons of varying length (most of them are pretty short)
1 Secret Dungeon
6 Custom Bosses
1 Script (count it, one)
Story:
This quest isn't that big on story but here's how I suppose it would go:
Link mysteriously wakes up in a strange, unnamed, and very generic land in front of a cave shaped like a Ghoma. There, he finds a Hookshot on sale for 800 rupees. Deciding that he must buy it because the Hookshot is the coolest item in the Zelda universe, Link sets out to find the 800 rupees. It turns out in this strange new world, there are ONLY 800 rupees in existence. This could be a problem since Link is flat out broke.
Tips and Cheats:
Don't limit yourself to staying in one dungeon until you finish it. In some places, it may be best to go out and explore after you get the dungeon item.

If you want the cheats or password, give me a PM
Credits:
Graphics:
DoR tileset
Pure tileset
BS tileset
The Spriter's Resource
The Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes Team
Music:
VGMusic
Shoelace (I took the overworld music straight out of his quest since I didn't know where it was from)
Script:
Joe123
Inspiration:
BloodStar
Exate
CastChaos
SpacemanDan
Russ (just because)
OrinXD
Everyone who posted in the help topic
Pretty much everyone at PureZC
Download link:
It can be downloaded here
Screenshots:
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
Some of these areas have changed a little since I took these screenshots, but overall this is what you get.

Please feel free to give feedback/ask for help. If you need cheats, PM me.

Edit: Changed layout to match my 2.5 database submission

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 08 August 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:51 AM

Awesome! Downloading right now. What build should I use?

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:59 AM

Oh lawd...try something close to 1286. That's the version I use...

Please note that there may still be a few bugs because...well...the public beta testing didn't work out too well...

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:14 AM

So, any hints for the maze in the blue forest? And am I supposed to have the sword by now, or do I get it later?

Edit: 7777 posts! I am lucky! icon_razz.gif

Edited by Russ, 12 November 2010 - 02:14 AM.

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:37 AM

There's an old lady who gives you a hint about the maze and an old man who gives you a sword in the blue woods. If you run out of magic before you find the sword, look in the desert south of the starting area.

#6 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

icon_thumbsdown.gif If there's one thing i can't stand it's starting a quest without a sword. I've died 5 times and not only did I not get the sword, the enemies make it almost impossible to get thru a screen without being hit multiple times. Good luck to anyone playing this.

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

Chances are you're doing something wrong, ms_zelda_lady. Did you follow the arrow on the second screen? There's a secret path to the red candle. After getting the red candle, you can burn the orange tree in the middle of the arrow and open the way to the blue woods. If you've done this and are still having problems, then maybe this quest isn't for you...

#8 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

I already had the red candle. I can't use it anymore because I had to burn trees and enemies to get to the house with the clue. Most of the clue is unreadable because you chose to put it in the same color as the background so all I can see is left and down and I don't know if that's the middle or the end of the clue.

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

Wait...what? I think you're using a bad version of Zelda Classic, because in the version I use, I can read the message just fine. If you're finding it too difficult, I can PM you the level 3 cheat.

#10 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

I'm using version 1082. All the writing in every place is orange on orange. I haven't been able to read anything because of it. BTW I don't want the level 3 cheat. I just want the directions to the sword.

Edited by ms_zelda_lady, 12 November 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#11 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

@ms_zelda_lady:
QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Nov 12 2010, 01:59 AM) View Post

Oh lawd...try something close to 1286. That's the version I use...

Please note that there may still be a few bugs because...well...the public beta testing didn't work out too well...

You're probably running into problems because your build is pretty different. icon_shrug.gif Best of luck in figuring it out. :3

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(ms_zelda_lady @ Nov 12 2010, 04:15 PM) View Post

I'm using version 1082. All the writing in every place is orange on orange. I haven't been able to read anything because of it. BTW I don't want the level 3 cheat. I just want the directions to the sword.

The sword is very close to where you found the hint lady. Like starting from the hint lady walk 1 screen left, 1 screen up, and 1 screen left and you're there. The maze path is
Spoiler
in case you're wondering.

I don't know much about computers, but might you have something in your color settings that is causing the problem?

#13 GamingNomad

GamingNomad

formerly KenMeister

• Members

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

Why don't you submit this to the Zelda Quest 2.5 Database?icon_razz.gif

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(Kenster @ Nov 12 2010, 05:18 PM) View Post

Why don't you submit this to the Zelda Quest 2.5 Database?icon_razz.gif

Fear of bad ratings. If I submit it and it gets an average rating of like...3, then less people will play it.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

Oh come on, fear of a bad rating? If everybody had that attitude, nobody would ever release a quest. Just submit it, you got nothing to lose. It's a great game! And speaking of which, level 1 has great design. Although I am a bit lost in it, heh. What item triggers all those switches?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users