• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

Hello everyone. :)

After some discussion, the staff have decided to expand the ZC version selection to allow quests to specify 2.50.0, 2.50.1, and 2.50.2 as version numbers.  We did have some concerns that some people may refer to ZC 2.50 as 2.50.0 or as any version of 2.50.X.  To compensate for this, not only are there the specific ZC versions, there is also a ZC 2.50 (Any) selection which can be used for quests that can be played in any version of ZC 2.50.  Hopefully this will be a suitable compromise that fits with all quests that are being released.  Feel free to update any quests that need to be played under specific version.  I'd also like to give everyone a reminder that if your quest has issues with a new version of ZC, please let the ZC devs know.  They want all quests to run on new versions, after all. :P

There was also an issue where the quest project list was taking a long time to load (3-5 seconds each page).  I've tweaked the page some, and it should now load up a lost faster. :)

Let me know if anyone has any problems with these fixes.  Thanks! :)

• Magi_Hero, nicklegends, The Satellite and 9 others like this

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

Well, these changes seem welcome. Will there be a option for "custom", seeing how the source has been released and forks will likely be made?

#3 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

This addition was certainly welcome. Hopefully over time, everything will be clear on what version to use. Great update.

#4 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

I think I broke something. If you click "Last Update" on the Quest Project List page, it brings you to an error:

http://www.purezc.ne...ist&sort=update

• Evan20000 likes this

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

JARED WHY'D YOU BREAK IT

YOU'RE BANNED

• SpikeReynolds, thepsynergist, Nathaniel and 2 others like this

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

I've resolved it for now.  I removed some of the efficiency I added, but it's no taking anywhere near as long as it did originally.  Sorry for the issues there.

• Jared likes this

#7 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:28 PM

Well, these changes seem welcome. Will there be a option for "custom", seeing how the source has been released and forks will likely be made?

Honestly, a lot of this will just have to be decided when things happen.  If there are branches that become really popular, then they may very well get their own designation in the database.  If there are a lot of one off branches that only a couple quests use each, then we'll maybe have a "Branch" or "Fork" option.  At this point in time, it's really hard to say exactly how, or even if, the landscape of Zelda Classic versions will change from open sourcing, so I don't think there's much use in deciding now how we will respond.

That being said, we will only be accepting quests from known, stable releases.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:13 AM

Honestly, a lot of this will just have to be decided when things happen.  If there are branches that become really popular, then they may very well get their own designation in the database.  If there are a lot of one off branches that only a couple quests use each, then we'll maybe have a "Branch" or "Fork" option.  At this point in time, it's really hard to say exactly how, or even if, the landscape of Zelda Classic versions will change from open sourcing, so I don't think there's much use in deciding now how we will respond.

That being said, we will only be accepting quests from known, stable releases.

That's a reasonable compromise. You can't make anything really, with the open-source materials as they stand, and a 2.50.x open-source base is forthcoming, which may lead to parallel development of the 2.xx and 3.xx lines. Best to wait for one of those to exist as a binary before worrying over database support; but you probably shouldn;t wait for a true 'stab;e' release, as that will induce people to avoid actually using, and thus testing these basecodes.

I'd suggest a special database for quests developed on the open-source branches, beneath Gamma.

Also...

GrooseFace.png

See my site bug report related to your changes. :D

I also put forth my suggestion for linking database searching on a per-user basis from their profile pages. I think it will make it smoother, when trying to find what quests people are making, when reading their topics in which they mention them.

#9 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:12 AM

Urgh.  Looking like I originally coded it inefficiently because I pretty much had to for everything that was needed.  It's still better than it was originally, but it's back to taking a second each page to load because it has to grab so much for searching and sorting. :( I'll have to think about ways to redesign the code for that page.

As far as the suggestion goes, it shouldn't be too bad to do.  I'll look into doing it.  But, for now, while scripts and projects were never added, they original databases are in the hovercard when you pause your mouse over a user's link.

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

Urgh.  Looking like I originally coded it inefficiently because I pretty much had to for everything that was needed.  It's still better than it was originally, but it's back to taking a second each page to load because it has to grab so much for searching and sorting. :( I'll have to think about ways to redesign the code for that page.

This is why I often leave something alone, when-and-if it is fragile; rather than trying to optimise it.

As far as the suggestion goes, it shouldn't be too bad to do.  I'll look into doing it.  But, for now, while scripts and projects were never added, they original databases are in the hovercard when you pause your mouse over a user's link.

Unfortunately, I almost never use that feature, as I primarily need to search the QP database, and occasionally the Script DB. :shrug:

It's also important to remember that it's a mouseover, which doesn't work on touch devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users