Proof of Concept

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#16 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

I am one of those people who is so so on Ocarina of Time, but I will be keeping my eye on this as it is already looking exceptional.
  • Sheik, Lightwulf and Matthew like this

#17 CDi-Fails

CDi-Fails

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:58 AM

I find these interesting on their own, cause I love looking at models, but it might also be good to help with planning your Hyrule field. No one has ripped the dungeons yet, and word around the OoT community is, it would be kind of time consuming since you would need to visit every dungeon room, and sometimes, move around larger rooms to get all the faces to load into memory so they can be extracted with an N64 emulator plug-in. The main Water Temple room, and the main Fire Temple room are giving me collision mesh flash backs all over again (this is when you accidentally rip the collisions from models that don't have their textures loaded, and you get a flat shaded gray, or yellow model). I'd be up for the task, if I had the time.

EDIT: Random fun facts about OoT's dungeons. When Link enters a dungeon, OoT has an interesting way of handling it, and allowing for quick room transitions. Basically, the dungeon's entire (or almost entire) model is loaded in, but it is invisible. It only mathematically provides boundaries, loading zones, and collision types (lava/ ice/ hookshotable, etc). The actual visual textures are loaded in on a room by room basis. This load is triggered by the door animation. That's why when some people go OOB, the can still walk around the dungeon but everything is invisible. The data is there, but the textures aren't since the game still thinks you are in the room you left, since no door transition was triggered.

Ripping OoT maps is actually really simple because of what you described in the latter part of your post. All maps in OoT are made up of two main parts: a scene, and then rooms. The scene contains collision, lighting settings, spawn points, exits, and transitions among some other things. The rooms contains visual meshes, actor placement, what graphical assets to load for actors (called objects), time settings, sound settings, and more. While a dungeon may be split up into many rooms, it will always have a scene file which points to every room file. This has made is really easy to document where every single room in OoT is located. Because of this, all you'd have to do to effectively "rip a dungeon" is just eyeball the documentation for a dungeon's room offsets and lengths, then rip them with a hex editor. From there you can run them through an older Blender plugin that converts OoT's mesh format to something Blender can manipulate, or you can load them up with a map viewer like SceneNavi. The latter actually supports opening up a ROM and just picking the map from a list.

Edited by CDi-Fails, 17 July 2017 - 09:59 AM.

• Anthus, Lightwulf and coolgamer012345 like this

#18 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:18 AM

i'd just like to say that this is super cool looking and that i hope you continue to work on it

(your bad old stuff looks better than my new stuff)

• Sheik and Lightwulf like this

#19 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:20 AM

Right, thanks for the feedback everybody. :-) So, Ebola Zaire helped me with setting up the ledges (so that you can jump down; and "helped me with setting up" is to say that he did all the work) and agreed to help out with other stuff in the quest, too.

Other than that nothing much happened recently. Next week I have exams and after that I will get back into ZQ.

• Rambly and Lightwulf like this

#20 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:36 AM

Which tiles in particular do you want to use? - One way or another, I do not plan to password the quest so starting with the first demo release (whenever that will be) all the tiles currently included will be publically available.

They all look great, so it's hard to choose... 

If you aren't going to password the quest I could be able to take the tiles from the demo, so I'm fine to wait :)

• Sheik likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users