America's Weight Problem?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#46 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:12 AM

Here at the college, we have a three-way meal plan. "A La Carte Points" are points that we can spend like money, where 100 points equals a dollar, on campus for food. "Meal Counts" are set up to where spending one meal count pays for your whole meal. "Flex Dollars" are essentially an allowance per quarter that we can spend at local stores that accept them.

Usually, there's a small selection of places to eat on campus. Unfortunately, the building that had most of them in it is being torn down and rebuilt. As a result, on-campus choices are basically a small buffet-style restaurant, a sports-bar restaurant, and a number of espresso stands around campus. There is a convenience store on-campus, but they don't have very much. It's generally canned foods or frozen meals. There's a sort of mini farmer's-market as well, but it's only one day a week. We have an Egyptian food stand and a Einstein Bros. Bagels, but they don't accept the meal plan except for the Flex Dollars, which we get a very small number of per-quarter.

I have started going to the workout rooms in the rec. building to try and get a bit more in-shape, but considering pretty much the only food choices on-campus are essentially going to a buffet or the sport-bar restaurant, it doesn't seem to be helping much. I was visiting my family a couple weekends ago and we went to Olive Garden for dinner. I got some salad and pointed out that it was probably the only vegetables I've eaten in weeks.

I don't mind walking, but we get some really bad snow up in Washington. Once everything's thawed out for the spring, I should probably start making trips downtown and buy some real groceries, and maybe I'll start losing weight more at that point. Of course, I'll probably need a fridge for my room if I go that route, so my stuff doesn't spoil before I get around to eating it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users