Photo

Screenshot: Challenge Accepted #96

Joelmacool

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should win? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote your favorite

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Polaris

Polaris

Your member title is shown beside posts you make

• Forum Assistants

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

Requirements:

• You must recreate a screen that has won Screenshot of the Month or Screenshot of the Year in a different tileset to what the screen originally used. You must also include the Screenshot of the Month or Screenshot of the year number in your submission.
  • After enough discussion, we decided to allow past S:CA winning shots to be remade.

(Credit goes to Orithan for designing this challenge!)

Entries:

Joelmacool

mfvC8ke.png

Cukeman
ZWwTcN3.png
Portable gameplay- now with console power! (SotM 136)

Feenicks

bOayDZE.png

Original [by Jared]:

Dimentio

AQxvpNN.png

I'm shivering with cold,
I struggle against despair!
(Rebirth #1)

Current Challenge:

Screen Type: Dungeon

On-screen Criteria:

• You must add an obvious dungeon theme to your screen (fire, wind, etc.).
  • You must have a puzzle revolving around this theme.
  • It can be outdoors or indoors.
  • It can be made in any tileset, including classic.
Our current place in the rotation is in red:
Spoiler

#2 Dimentio

Dimentio

Yeah, I don't buy that.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

Originals for comparison:

Joelmacool

Cukeman

Feenicks

Dimentio

Thoughts:

Joel: Excellent shot with excellent detail. Only problem is the trees in the southwest don't blend together all that well.

Cukeman: I know classic isn't very detailed, but come on, this can be a lot more detailed. Bad mountain transitions, lack of ground detail, etc, makes this feel lazy.

Feenicks: As with Joel, excellent shot. I do see some transition errors with the shallow and deep water, though.

Dimentio: BOO! Think fast!

Nulled.

• Sheik and Avataro like this

#3 Eddy

Eddy

Geometry Dash addict :v

• Database Staff

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

Joelmacool - This looks really fantastic. I love how you remade the original screen and there isn't anything I can say to improve it. Fantastic job!

Cukeman - This looks pretty decent, a nice effort at demaking the original screen. The only thing I find really weird is the trees on the mountains, they don't look right at all. It would probably be best to round off the mountains a bit so it doesn't look like you just put trees over the mountains, if that makes any sense.

Feenicks - Another nice job at a recreation. Looks really neat and I like all the detail. Some of the water transitions don't look right but other than that it looks cool. (also I can't help but notice the random magic bar below the B button).

Dimentio - Really awesome screen. Reminds me a lot of Lost Isle, which is always nice to see. Love the Sun in the background too! One weird thing I noticed is that the lava is really dark. I don't think that makes much logical sense so it would've been better to make the lava light up a bit.

I voted for Joelmacool this week, good job to all!

• Joelmacool likes this

#4 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

JMC

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

Just realised there's a tile error on my screen :(
Let's see if you can find it :P

#5 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

m8 is it the heart piece on top of the tree?

I voted Dimentio. Honestly no mindblowing or absolutely perfect screens, just 4 really good ones that it's hard for me to choose one.

I went Dimentio because it's snowing in a volcano area. LOL. lit.

#6 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

I liked Cukeman's screen the most this time around. My vote went there.

#7 Dimentio

Dimentio

Yeah, I don't buy that.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

Dimentio - Really awesome screen. Reminds me a lot of Lost Isle, which is always nice to see. Love the Sun in the background too! One weird thing I noticed is that the lava is really dark. I don't think that makes much logical sense so it would've been better to make the lava light up a bit.

I actually intended this to look Lost Isle-ish :P I had several screens open at the same time so as to make sure the design stayed close to it. As for the lava, I'd have to check, but I believe Lost Isle did the lava the same I did.

• MermaidCim likes this

#8 Eddy

Eddy

• Database Staff

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:27 AM

I actually intended this to look Lost Isle-ish :P I had several screens open at the same time so as to make sure the design stayed close to it. As for the lava, I'd have to check, but I believe Lost Isle did the lava the same I did.

Looks like Lost Isle had illogical lava too then :P It just looks odd to me personally.

#9 Dimentio

Dimentio

Yeah, I don't buy that.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

The green shadow under the tree on the left.

Looks like Lost Isle had illogical lava too then :P It just looks odd to me personally.

Well, I may see if I can improve it, but I don't think that's possible without making the screen look like garbage :P

• Joelmacool likes this

#10 Eddy

Eddy

• Database Staff

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

Well, I may see if I can improve it, but I don't think that's possible without making the screen look like garbage :P

You can always try, but if it does end up looking crap, you might as well just leave it the way it is in the end.

#11 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

4uT6tQq.png ... Might wanna tan that green I guess.
  • Joelmacool likes this

#12 Matthew

Matthew

Happy new year!

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:00 PM

Hmm... most of these shots look less well put-together then their inspiration, if anything. I did like Joel's though, so I voted here.

• MermaidCim, Joelmacool and Dimentio like this

#13 Feenicks

Feenicks

samamemakajarundolaeondyne

• Members

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:41 PM

Joelmacool: There's something about those water shadows that make the shot for me. What is this set anyway? Getting Newfirst vibes from the mountains and the ground tiles, but GB/Pure vibes from the water and the trees. 

Cukeman: The original screen doesn't seem like one that translates very well into the classic set. Enough is getting lost in translation here that what remains - the bushes on the north side of the river, the rock wall in between the south bit and the water - seem out of place. 

Feen: After making this screen and that one swamp screen I put in the screenshot thread I kinda got annoyed enough with the water borders being wonky to make some other border tiles for the shallow water, which I might finish up and put in the Firebird thread sometime soonish. Two other things: 1) there was supposed to be a different palette a bit better suited for a swampy area that didn't end up in the final thing 2) the firebird big trees being 3 across and not 4 across was a bit annoying to deal with.

Dimentio: Not a fan of the lava colors. Even if it is a winter shot, I do feel that a brighter lava color would've done the screen better.

• Joelmacool likes this

#14 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

Hmm... most of these shots look less well put-together then their inspiration,

thats a small reason why i think none of these are absolutely stellar, just four pretty solid ones this week for me.

• Matthew likes this

#15 Dimentio

Dimentio

Yeah, I don't buy that.

• Members

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:09 PM

Joelmacool: There's something about those water shadows that make the shot for me. What is this set anyway? Getting Newfirst vibes from the mountains and the ground tiles, but GB/Pure vibes from the water and the trees. 

I believe it's Nexas' New Newfirst.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users