Matthew Bluefox's Quest Corner

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#76 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:41 AM

Yes, but then it's too easy in my opinion. I agree with Lüt, there should be decimals like .1 or .2 magic per frame, then it would be realistic and fun to have them use magic. Anyway, with double magic and maxed out magic bar, you can survive a few seconds and there are enuff normal floor tiles to walk on, so you only have to be on the spikes on a few tenth of a second or less.

#77 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

Minor Patch

Alright, the LP of Nightmare James has finished and after playing along, I think I really got all the wrong strings now. I will therefore update the quest pack today, should be verified within 24 hours as usual. This affects only "Randomizer Maxi".

PS: File has been accepted.

Edited by Matthew Bluefox, 08 May 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#78 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Unfortunately, that's the lowest possible rate you can use. I wished ZQ let us enter decimals for magic use, or even quarter increments, but we're stuck with insta-drain magic boots/canes, or boots/canes that use no magic at all. I did add the infinite magic item in a bonus area for that first quest I did, but honestly, I don't think a thing like that should be necessary and I wasn't overly thrilled at having to make that compromise.

Personally:

Boots shouldn't drain magic.  They seem to be fine when they don't.

Cane of Byrna:  I think I showed how much of a broken piece of crap it is when it doesn't use magic.  I exploited all kinds of ZC engine flaws with it when I did the Randomizer LP.  Have fun with that one Matt.  :)

-James

• CimFighter likes this

#79 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

If the cane used magic, the whole magic would be gone within a few seconds, just like with the boots. However, I do agree on it's overpoweredness.

#80 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

Announcement For Major & Final Patch (Version remains at 3 - this is how it was supposed to look like if I had enough time to release it in this state earlier on!)

New Legend of Zelda 1-3 / NLOZ Mini 1+2

- Adjusted enemy strength to even out the odds for losing the L3 Boomerang and the L4 Ring as well as the L4 Sword and the L3 Arrows (in some quests).

-- Namely reduced the HP of Wizzrobes (Fire, Bat, Wind), Lanmolas (L3 up to L5) Darknuts (L3 up to L5), Goriyas (L5), Stalfos (L5), Nudgeballs (Any) and Gibdos (L5). There is a L4 standard Rope enemy now and the Elite is now L5. No enemy except for the Mirrobe and some bosses exceeds 40 Hit Points now, so you can kill even L5 enemies with max 5 hits from the Magical Sword. The Critical Ring helps a lot to reduce the hit amount. Moldorms have been completely taken out of all quests. The L0.5 (weak) Nudgeball has been taken out and is replaced by a weaker L1 Nudgeball. The higher Nudgeball's stats have been percentually altered as well.

- Changed a lot of visuals (palettes and subscreen layout) to resemble Zelda 2 a bit, so it feels more like a "Lost Levels" version of Zelda 1, just like the "Lost Levels" were designed for Super Mario Bros.

-- L1 enemies remain orange, L2 change to red, L3 to blue, L4 to black or gold (overworld) respectively silver (dungeons) and finally L5 - elite - to gold (dungeons only).

- Added the Hammer (White Sword strength) to New LOZ 1 & 2 - mainly to even out the odds against Darknuts - and brought the enemy bait back (and it has to be used in the usual spots) to some use.

- Increased the strength of the Magic Wand & Book to double Magical Sword damage (that includes the fire magic from the book).

- Made Silver Arrows have piercing shots to compensate for eliminating the Golden Arrows. They still have Magical Sword strength.

- The Whistle no longer uses magic and all candle levels now use the same amount of magic (4 magic power per use).

- Peril beam scrolls in NLOZ Mini 2 trigger sword beams at 3 (blue), 6 (red) and 12 (silver) hearts respectively. There is no 16 hearts scroll anymore in that quest. It still is in the Maxi quest.

- NLOZ 1+2 bonus dungeons still have a heart container and infinite arrows while the NLOZ 3 bonus dungeon now has a heart container and infinite magic. Level 9 now has the infinite arrows right at the end. The red candle moved to Level 4, the stepladder to Level 1. The overworld secret of the red candle now holds 100 rupees. The magic book moved to Level 2, the blue ring is in the Lorule waterfall shop along with the red ring. This makes NLOZ 3 a bit easier in the beginning and you can get all extra hearts after beating Level 3 (or getting it's item at least).

- NLOZ Mini 1+2 have infinite magic now in Level 9 to compensate for the high magic drain of the boots when on spikes. This might receive a patch only if the magic drain mechanics in future ZC builds improve.

NLOZ Maxi + Randomizer

- This is a single file now. If you don't randomize anything, you basically play the NLOZ Maxi quest that I created, with the addition of all enhanced items from Hero of Fire which are also being used in the Randomizer. With randomizing, you can increase the replay value by a huge factor. The Maxi quest is the only quest that remains with the enemy and item stats and palette visuals of before this major patch as it would have gotten completely broken otherwise.

Edited by Matthew Bluefox, 07 June 2017 - 12:48 AM.

• Nightmare, Eddy and CimFighter like this

#81 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

The quest pack has now been updated and is probably being accepted by the staff tomorrow. Feel free to download it once it has been updated in the quest database. Unless there is a major issue coming up (even though I did a full playthrough of all five quests), there will be no further patches or updates to this quest pack. This is considered the final release candidate (V3).

Thank you for playing "New Legend of Zelda", everyone! Especially a big thanks to Big Joe, Hero of Fire, Pixcalibur 123 and of course all the Youtubers who have let's played some or all of my quests at some point.

• Eddy likes this

#82 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

I'm really sorry for this, but there is a hint-room bug in NLOZ 2's challenge bonus dungeon. Apparently I have used String 59 in one of those rooms, even though I double-checked every hint-room (except the bonus) in every dungeon. So yeah, added String 67 and made the old man speak the useful "play music in the easy room" hint. Quest pack update has now been approved.

This is not a game-breaking bug, and once you've found out what to do, it's not really important what the old man says, but it's just not professionally looking if he says "super bomb stacks for discount price" in the bonus dungeon without actually selling anything. *sigh*

Edited by Matthew Bluefox, 26 June 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#83 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

There is a lot here, little things always have a chance of getting through the cracks.  You've done a great job, so don't beat yourself up too much over it.

#84 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:36 AM

Thankies, Ryu! :) It just bugged me that I wanted to post a final release and then this comes up ... even though it's nothing major, it still bugs me. :)

#85 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:21 AM

Oh dear ... after this one, I am not sure if I will ever do another quest and I have even thought about removing all this crap for good. After watching my own let's play of NLOZ Second Quest THREE times and playing through TWO times myself, I have EVENTUALLY ... after being hinted to by someone who's currently recording an LP of all my quests, noticed that the silver arrow exists TWICE ... wow, great.

Well, obviously, this has to be hotfixed, so ... I decided to make the Level 8 entrance super-bomb-protected. That also opens up the possibility to get the Magic Wand and the Red Ring a lot earlier (you will only need the Bow from Level 5 for the Red Ring, Stepladder from Level 6 - which can easily be claimed early on - required to enter the dungeon), if a player dares to get it or them. Maybe that's not a bad idea, because some people love to seek a special challenge in any quest. Obviously, the Silver Arrow from Level 7 has been taken out, as it already exists in Level 9 and there it should have been from the start of the last major update.

I am aware of the severe influence of such a hotfix in a basic quest as it can change gameplay completely for the advanced players since they now can almost go the same path as in the original NES second quest now. Believe me, after finding this issue, I was not sure if I could possibly ever release a quest that has no issues at all, let them be small or big ... there is always something that eventually comes up. I was really close to delete the whole quest pack - including on my hard drive, so I would never be tempted to work on it again.

I really hope this was the LAST patch I had to do and a big SORRY for everyone who has played through this for an LP and now probably has to replay it because of this crap I've caused. I put big expectations on myself when I release a quest, because I expect it to be bugfree when it's released to the public. So far, I've only managed to get it right once and that was with a much earlier quest several years ago.

If anything ... literally anything ... comes up after this patch, I will delete the whole thing instead of updating it yet again. I'm fed up with all of it, as probably most of you are by now as well, because you always have to re-download the whole crap and keep it updated. It's definitely not how I planned this, I expect to be better than this. Again, sorry.

Patch is awaiting approval. Please wait one day to make sure it's been approved. Thank you.

#86 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

Honestly, I truly hope you never do delete it.  You have put a whole lot of work into it, and I see it as a lot of good, even if there have been small hiccups.  As I said before, stuff happens.

#87 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:01 AM

The patch has been approved.

Thankies, Ryu. If it's a bug that can easily be overseen, Ryu, then I agree with "stuff happens", butt this is just bad. Not noticing that an item is twice in a quest, that's a capital mistake.

#88 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

Alright, as I'm currently doing Let's Plays of all my quests, I might upload a "convenience" patch after I'm finished with NLOZ 3rd Quest (currently recording NLOZ Mini 2nd). That patch would contain an improved spawning location for Link in NLOZ Mini 1st (Level 9 top left corner) where Link spawns in the middle of the also spawning Queen Lanmolas. That usually results in at least one forced hit and the loss of a heart or more.

#89 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:15 AM

As I am not sure when I will be able to complete the Let's Plays of Mini 2 and NLOZ 3, I will release the "convenience" patch right now and it is awaiting approval. By tomorrow, it will most likely be ready for download. As I said, it will "just" improve the spawning location in Level 9 of Mini 1 and Maxi (9-3), so you won't get hit by the Queen Lanmolas right at the spawning point.

#90 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

I almost removed the whole thing today ... because there is yet ANOTHER totally unnecessary (at least not a showstopping) issue with NLOZ 2nd Quest ... there are two maps in Level 7 and one of the old man hints was still pointing to the silver arrows required to enter Level 8 which is obviously no longer the case, because now you need a Super Bomb to open it. Corrected the string and replaced one of the maps with a 20 rupee bonus room item.

Patch is being approved, it has been uploaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users