Lost Isle

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#16 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:44 AM

Arrows being the currency makes the whole thing of using money to fire arrows make more sense.

#17 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

I guess, I always imagined rupee tipped arrows. Lol

Didn't ZC introduce quivers and arrow stock afterwords? That must have been after this quest.

#18 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(NewJourneysFire @ Mar 29 2013, 09:05 PM) View Post

I guess, I always imagined rupee tipped arrows. Lol

Didn't ZC introduce quivers and arrow stock afterwords? That must have been after this quest.

Actually, ZC did have quivers, hookshots, roc's feathers and all that fancy stuff when Lost Isle was made. And I wanted to have all of those in the quest, but it was Wolfie's decision to restrict us to using just the original Zelda items (from Zelda 1) and I respected her decision even though I strongly disagreed with her.

But looking back at the quest, I'm happy that she restricted us that way because we managed to show everyone and to ourselves you can do some amazing stuff with just the basic items. Also, now I can make Lost Isle 1 pale in comparison when I can do whatever I want with Lost Isle 2... custom items, custom enemies, scripts, side quests, mini games, you name it! icon_wink.gif

Edited by Peteo, 29 March 2013 - 02:50 PM.

• Pamfafoofle likes this

#19 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

I must warn you Peteo, just a little warning.

Sometimes boundaries are better than an unlimited supply of potential. It is well known through history that we can actually bland a game by adding too much marvelous things. It's an elusive obvious, but look at a movie that's all intense action. It's actually the boring scenes that make the action scenes that look better.

If we give too much Wow, we make the Wow seem less significant, and that is why it's very important to still have boundaries, and perhaps, that is probably what DFW was thinking when she called that shot. Too many features overcomplicates things, this is also why I avoid using scripts in my quests, but similar as we would when stepping into freezing water on a beach, I am threading lightly into scripts, and than, when the time is right, jumping right in, with the hopes that I don't overscript my quest.

Is overscripting a quest possible? I wonder why there is no topic on such matters? Regardless, I think I'll be playing this quest again tomorrow or the next day.

#20 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Heh, thanks for the smart words NJF, but you don't need to worry. I believe I can keep up a consistent quality throughout the quest, and I certainly ain't planning to throw all the cool stuff at players at once. Lost Isle 2 will start just with some basic items and enemies and a couple of short dungeons. Then things will start getting more interesting and I'll start throwing scripted enemies/items at you and some new beautiful graphics... icon_smile.gif

#21 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Of course, we will be drawing the line between "scripts to functionalize," and "scripts to impress." There are just some necessary screen-related things that you just can't do without scripts, like when you just need to stuff five keys into a single poor lockblock, or when you have to read a signpost on a screen that somehow already has four tile warps on it and a bunch of side warps, you crazy warp-crazy nut.

... This post was sort of pointless, I am now realizing. icon_blink.gif

#22 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'd hate to continue to discuss Lost Isle 2 in this thread, but heck, there's no real harm.

I have a question, in this upcoming quest, will you be reversing some of the normal order on which you receive items?

#23 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE(Peteo @ Mar 29 2013, 03:48 PM) View Post

Actually, ZC did have quivers, hookshots, roc's feathers and all that fancy stuff when Lost Isle was made. And I wanted to have all of those in the quest, but it was Wolfie's decision to restrict us to using just the original Zelda items (from Zelda 1) and I respected her decision even though I strongly disagreed with her.

I hate to be the picky-picky person but the Longbow, Golden Arrows, Large Wallet, Mirror Shield, Amulet, Titans Mitt, and Spin Attack aren't in the original Zelda 1 either.

#24 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE(Eppy @ Mar 31 2013, 01:01 PM) View Post

I hate to be the picky-picky person but the Longbow, Golden Arrows, Large Wallet, Mirror Shield, Amulet, Titans Mitt, and Spin Attack aren't in the original Zelda 1 either.

Yeah, I know Eppy. icon_wink.gif
But those just felt like necessary additions. I should've said "mostly Zelda 1 items".

QUOTE(ShadowTiger)
Of course, we will be drawing the line between "scripts to functionalize," and "scripts to impress."

Josh, I'm mostly using scripts to functionalize, not to impress. I personally hate dealing with scripts and I try to use them as little as possible, but some things can only be pulled of with scripts. Gameplay is much more important than any cool tricks. But usually scripted enemies and items and functions are cool so what can I do. icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(NewJourneysFire)
I have a question, in this upcoming quest, will you be reversing some of the normal order on which you receive items?

I don't quite understand the question. Lost Isle 2 will have many new and unique items. The quest will most likely start with a quite familiar sword/bow/boomerang combo but after that it gets completely wild mostly because many of the dungeons in Li2 can be completed in any order you like! I know I have a big challenge ahead of me to make the freedom work as Li2 will be a story heavy quest, but I'm confident in my ability to find a way.

Edited by Peteo, 31 March 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#25 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Has anyone tried a three heart run of Lost Isle? I'm thinking I might stack that restriction on as well when I eventually get to my early Master Dome run but I've somehow already forgotten how the enemy balancing plays out in this quest. Is there any point where three hearting would be literally impossible?

QUOTE(Eppy @ Mar 31 2013, 04:01 AM) View Post

Shh! Don't tell DarkFlameWolf! icon_razz.gif

So Peteo, kinda curious what the story behind the few custom bosses was. I imagine you had to do a lot of pushing to get those included. Was Morlach at any point intended to be a regular Ganon fight or did you two agree to make him custom from the beginning?

Edited by Moosh, 31 March 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#26 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

A 3 heart run of Lost isle is very possible for a skilled player I think. I've considered doing one myself but I'm too busy with Lost Isle 2 right now. The only part that could cause trouble is the Lv4 boss which is hard, but with patience it could be done too. Heck, even Master Dome would have been possible with 3 hearts if DFW didn't make those spike trap parts impossible to get through without taking damage...

About custom bosses, that was actually something Wolfie was very open minded about. She actually told me to go wild with the custom bosses and I think she was even disappointed when I didn't have time to do a custom boss for the Oderra Hideout. So she was good regarding custom bosses and didn't restrict me in any way. I thank her for that. icon_smile.gif

#27 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

That's encouraging to hear. It would be a real shame to come all the way to the end only to be stopped by a fire gleeok or something else equally impossible to kill without tanking.

So was there any particular reason you decided not to go fully custom for the first few levels? I always assumed DFW had instructed you to make a walking enemy, a digdogger, and a gohma and you just put your own twist on them and ran with what you had.

#28 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Mar 31 2013, 03:38 PM) View Post

That's encouraging to hear. It would be a real shame to come all the way to the end only to be stopped by a fire gleeok or something else equally impossible to kill without tanking.

So was there any particular reason you decided not to go fully custom for the first few levels? I always assumed DFW had instructed you to make a walking enemy, a digdogger, and a gohma and you just put your own twist on them and ran with what you had.

Time. That's the biggest reason. Custom bosses take a ton of time to build and make working correctly.
As I said, Wolfie was surprisingly supportive with the idea to have as many custom bosses as possible. But we both knew I didn't have the time nor the energy to make all levels have a custom boss so we decided to leave the custom stuff for later levels. For the first levels she gave me basic guidelines like "for level 1 there should be lanmolas and for level 2 a digdogger" and I followed her instructions but added my own twist to them. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Peteo, 31 March 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#29 RetroChallengeGamer

RetroChallengeGamer

Challenge LP'r

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

I've been watching Lost Isle videos and I have to say, doing a 3 heart run on this quest (despite me wanting to do challenges on every game I play on my channel) doesn't really appeal to me. It seems over the top hard and enemy friendly. So if I do anything from ZC from Darkflamewolf, it wouldn't be this quest. I'd have to do some more research before I pick out a ZC quest that I can reasonably attempt a 3-heart, no potion, minimalist run.

#30 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

I swear I remember seeing a chat log somewhere where you wanted a custom boss for level 2, and DFW stood her ground and said "Nope, Digdogger", and you wanted to have a Digdogger fight THEN a custom fight against two angry parents or something, and she said no, and finally you compromised on the statues coming to life. Am I just remembering this all wrong?

As for three hearting Lost Isle, I think the bosses in level 4 would be the hardest part. You have basically no room for error with both the miniboss's laser attack and the boss's floor panels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users