Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4246 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

Mentioning Super Mario RPG reminds me that I've got a rom of that game but have barely played any of it yet. That is one RPG I must play at some point soon.

As for games I recently beat, sometime last week I beat Final Fantasy X-2. Was much better than I thought it would be. Sure, the story was crap and cheesy as hell, but the combat with its job class system was surprisingly addicting, and I dare say somewhat of an improvement over FFX's in terms of offering more of a challenge. It did reuse a lot of areas and enemies from the first game, but since the gameplay was quite different I didn't mind so much. And besides that, Spira is one of my favorite settings in the series.

Still playing through FFXIII. It is actually getting more interesting. Already halfway, so I may as well play it through to the end, then I'll have to decide whether or not it was good enough for me to consider playing FFXIII-2.

#4247 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:16 AM

Played a good amount of Switch the other night at a friend's. Mario Kart 8 (cool), 1-2-Switch (meh), and the first world of Snipper Clips (tons of laughs).

Started playing Super Mario 3D Land, seems a bit too simplistic at this point, missing some of Mario's movements/control from Sunshine. Maybe I'm just spoiled? This is amazing for a handheld. Really miss the speed of the original Super Mario Bros. games. I also think the series is starting to get stale since they finally made all the games look the same in terms of visuals. Every Mario game used to have a bit of a graphic style revamp in the past. Now it seems like there is just this final standard look and the Paper Mario look (my favorite visual design for the Mario characters/world).

Still play a bit of Sun/Moon here and there. Mostly to get Mega Stones in tournaments. I do enjoy raising specific Pokemon with great stats and movesets, I just don't like how long it takes to research what I want to end up with. Serebii is great, but everything is still on separate pages and takes a long while to gather all that data together. Still hate how battle teams are locked during competitions, unnecessary pain in the arse.

Edited by Cukeman, 26 May 2017 - 04:00 AM.

#4248 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:25 AM

I would check out Smogon if you're curious about competitive single player.  If you like doubles, I recommend you check out Nugget Bridge.  Google either and you'll find it.  Nugget Bridge helped me realize how viable a sp. atk. variant of Tyranitar is with sand storm up.

#4249 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

Honestly I don't think you're wrong about 3D Land. It is simplistic, and I mean, it and 3D World are okay games, but they're lacking the depth 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games had. No triple jump, movement is actually 16-directional instead of full analogue, there's a clear point-A-to-point-B goal... I mean, sure, that's how 2D Mario games have always been, but in a 3D space like that it becomes a little less interesting  to me.

#4250 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

The 16 directional input in Super Mario 3D World really kills the experience for me. I beat the game but I was constantly angry at the controls not letting me move how I would like to move and various moments where I can't adjust myself properly to land on stuff or avoid things as precisely as I'd like.

What's worse is if you move super slowly you DO have more than 16 directions to move in, it locks to 16 directions when you speed up!

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 26 May 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#4251 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Still playing through FFXIII. It is actually getting more interesting. Already halfway, so I may as well play it through to the end, then I'll have to decide whether or not it was good enough for me to consider playing FFXIII-2.

If you play XII-2, you'll almost have to do Lightning Returns as well...

Spoiler

I personally didn't like the sequels as much as the original.

Currently playing : Breath of the Wild (still)

#4252 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:20 AM

I enjoy Final Fantasy 13-2, I haven't managed to beat it as it is a very long game and I tend to lose interest very close to the end though. The only major problem I have with it is that there are numerous awful visual glitches and performance issues when playing on PC and when playing on Xbox360 the load times are enormous (even when it is installed to HDD)! The second big problem is the skill tree/s, you can not view upcoming nodes that easily and you periodically "expand" the skill tree with no clue what is being unlocked so it is difficult to plan a character build without looking stuff up online to aid you.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 27 May 2017 - 04:03 AM.

#4253 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Returning to Golden Sun. Just did the forest, Imil lighthouse, and can now summon beasts, so the game is finally getting more interesting. I do have to look online to find out where to go next on the world map sometimes, I couldn't navigate with just the cartridge alone (I had the same thing with FF1).

In other news I just ordered a SNES! I always wanted one, but this will be my first (I did play my cousin's a fair amount). It's the original design, but it might not be a 1-chip system. Also ordered a GBA SP (for backlit GB/GBC gaming). I had one before, but sold it when the R button crapped out.

I also got a nice Nintendo haul a short time ago:

The only cartridge based system left on my list is repurchasing a Genesis.

• Neppy likes this

#4254 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Golden Sun= poor man Dragon Quest with some FF touches. Solid gba jrpgs anyway, but it's not on par with 16 bit era of jrpgs.

I'm playing Phantasy Star IV (Megadrive), I never finished a game from this series before and I'm curious.

#4255 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

Put down Mario 64 last night with 120 stars; not for the first time, mind you, but first in a while, sure. Went and got my CRT and Gamecube hooked up again to start Sunshine and holy hell, immediately Mario's controls feel like a dramatic improvement. The only thing I miss is the long jump but Mario's so responsive now that I don't mind too much. Don't really have much of an immediate direct comparison level design wise, having only gotten five shines, but at the very least the game already has a much better game feel than 64.

In 64, the controls work fine for the most part, but they have that awkward early 3D quirk where there's gotta be something wonky that won't age. For Mario, it's his occasional outright refusal to sidehop, and how picky wall jumping can be. Sunshine makes both of those a non-issue, and I actually feel in full control again.

64 is still a really fun game but I do suppose I see a few shortcomings now. Not everything is smoothly-designed, and Tiny-Huge Island is just downright frustrating. For the most part it's a solid game, and its appeal is the open nature of it, ripe for sequence-breaking with only a few gated stars. It's a perk that it holds over Sunshine and the Galaxy games, though Sunshine still has some ways to sequence break without expending too much effort. I don't mind the shift in those games that much though, because they're still well-designed and put their gameplay space literally in Galaxy's case to great use.

I actually intend on going through all the 3D Mario games again. And with Sunshine, I'm gonna get 120 shines for the first time ever... with a guide because those blue coins are arbitrary garbage padding. I probably won't go for every star in Galaxy 1 and 2... we'll see. Maybe with Galaxy since it's been a while, but Galaxy 2, I did 242 recently. *searches thread* ... two years ago exactly as of tomorrow. Damn. But it's recent enough I'll probably just cap things off at a certain point. Like avoiding all the garbage motion levels such as the bird flying... but not the good motion levels like the ball rolling. Yes I'm weird and like those.

#4256 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:35 AM

Sunshine has all my love. I never tire of it.

Edited by Cukeman, 29 May 2017 - 08:13 AM.

#4257 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

Just spent $280 on Lufia 1/2, Lunar 1 (with the special omake box), and a GBA Player with the disc. This should be a fun summer.

#4258 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:07 AM

It's not really "playing" a game, but I'm watching an LP of Danganronpa right now. (SuperJeenius finally came back from his break) I got tired of waiting and just played through the game myself. However, it is kind of fun looking through the comments at people trying to guess how the trials are going to go. I've kind of been messing with them. Somebody posts their theory, and I try to shoot them down without actually posting any evidence or even hinting vaguely at who really did it. One person's gone through multiple suspects, and still has no clue who the culprit is. It's kind of funny watching them logic themselves in circles. (No, I don't ever actually lie about evidence or who did it, that would be TOO mean. I just poke holes in their ideas without saying anything remotely helpful.)

#4259 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

Playing more Super Mario 3D Land. You know, I laughed when I first played Mario Kart DS and the game squirted ink on my screen... but in every Mario Kart after that I've been like "Okay, I got it the first time. It was ironic and funny, but I'm so done with this, now it's just annoying." ...and now it's crept into a platformer!! I don't want this to be a Nintendo tradition! Make it stop!

Edited by Cukeman, 31 May 2017 - 04:19 AM.

#4260 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

I've been playing Disgaea 5 Complete on my Switch since it was released last Tuesday. There seems to be a lot to learn for someone that's rather new to the franchise, taking it all in right now is a little overwhelming, but nothing I can't deal with. I'm enjoying it so far, although I am only about 20 hours in, and about Level 20 with my team. Only 9979 more levels to go until max. :lol: The bad thing is... my goal is to have the main characters, and one from each recruit-able type all leveled up to max, and everything complete. I'll be playing this a while I think.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users