Zelda Classic 2.50.2

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#256 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:09 AM

What's weird about the poor FPS thing is that if I run a YouTube video in the background at 1080p, the FPS is perfect in Zelda Classic/ZQuest. It's a very weird workaround, but it's better than a game running like trying to play DooM (2016) with a 4 year old laptop you bought for $500. Basically, enter Microsoft PowerPoint mode.

So for those more tech savvy than myself, what is the technical reason for ZQuest and Zelda Classic running awful unless I play a 1080p video in the background? It's perfectly smooth until I stop the video. Then it's back to unplayable after a short while.

#257 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:18 AM

Is it possible that while you're holding the mouse button on an FFC to move it around that you can also use the direction keys to move that FFC single pixels similar to how the move command works in Photoshop? Just something that came to mind. It would make moving FFCS around just feel a little easier. 

#258 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

I have windows 10, the way I got things working smooth and without graphic issues is this:

Go into ag.cfg and set double and triple buffering to 1, along with vsync to 1, under zeldadx. Also make a shortcut and run zc in windows 7 compatibility mode, and run as admin.

What's weird about the poor FPS thing is that if I run a YouTube video in the background at 1080p, the FPS is perfect in Zelda Classic/ZQuest. It's a very weird workaround, but it's better than a game running like trying to play DooM (2016) with a 4 year old laptop you bought for $500. Basically, enter Microsoft PowerPoint mode.

So for those more tech savvy than myself, what is the technical reason for ZQuest and Zelda Classic running awful unless I play a 1080p video in the background? It's perfectly smooth until I stop the video. Then it's back to unplayable after a short while.

Do you have an amd processor or gfx card? Maybe zc is not extensive enough to enable turbo core. If that's the case you can set your power settings to high performance and/or get amd overdrive. I think Intel also has some kind of boost core. You should get CPU-z and gpu-z and monitor your clock speeds to see if they are lower with only zc running.

Edited by Omega, 04 February 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#259 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:34 AM

I want to edit and reorganize a tileset a bit to submit it and am wondering which ZC-version I should use. Just zc 2.50.2 or already the new beta? And are there already plans for new combo→next flags or so that I can keep in mind while I reorganize the tiles/combos?

#260 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

The new betas are all meant to be interchangeable with other 2.50 versions. Which is to say, quests saved in 2.53 are meant to be opened in 2.50.x without any trouble, and 2.50.x will obviously open fine in 2.53.

The only difference, I would say, is if you are including a script pack. 2.50.x saved garbage data when compiling scripts - 2.53 fixed that, so file size will be slightly smaller if compiled in 2.53 because it doesn't have extra junk. But if you aren't including any scripts, then 2.50.2's probably the best choice.

#261 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:27 AM

I want to edit and reorganize a tileset a bit to submit it and am wondering which ZC-version I should use. Just zc 2.50.2 or already the new beta? And are there already plans for new combo→next flags or so that I can keep in mind while I reorganize the tiles/combos?

Any new stuff like that will be going into versions >= 2.54. For the present, it doesn't much matter which you use. The main benefit of using 2.53 for making a tileset, is that if you alt+tab out of ZQuest, it will not freak out on returning to it.

I think that mass recolour was in 2.50.2. If not, then, that would be an obvious possible motive for using 2.53.0 betas. : :shrug::

Either way, the file will work with all 2.50.x versions, 2.53, (and 2.54 once that is out, as well; although for 2.54, the reverse will no longer be true, as 2.54 format files will not load in earlier versions).

You can read the docs for 2.53 if you want an overview on the major changes, and the spec. See the beta thread, download the API PDF, and read the changelog, if you want to know what is happening. 2.53 should be more stable on newer Windows systems, in general, but it is obviously still a beta.
  • Naru likes this

#262 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:31 AM

Is this still a problem in 2.53? (2.53 upgrades to the most recent allegro version.)

#263 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

Is this still a problem in 2.53? (2.53 upgrades to the most recent allegro version.)

(Addendum: Most recent version of Allegro 4.)

I have never once encountered this, nor have I a clue what could cause it, or how to reproduce it. ::shudder::

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 28 September 2017 - 06:47 AM.

#264 CSD

CSD

• Members

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

I haven't been using 2.53, but I probably should check for you if it's still happening.

Adam's work-around does work-around, btw - for me I just put basically any video on loop in the background and the FPS stays steady. None of the other suggestions I've tried have worked. He said he had a good computer, but mine's pretty bad. He mentions putting the video at 1080p; I don't know if it's actually necessary for the quality to be so high, but maybe for him on a better computer, it is? I dunno.

It started after the Win 10 Anniversary update. Adam also said that it started after a windows update.

Edited by CSD, 02 October 2017 - 09:21 PM.

• Gleeok likes this

#265 CSD

CSD

• Members

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

Confirming, still occurs.

If you're looking to verify, be on updated windows 10, and you might want to close literally everything else... and it can take a few minutes to start lagging. No promises it'll actually occur for you, of course :P

Edited by CSD, 02 October 2017 - 09:52 PM.

#266 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:57 AM

Thanks for the update CSD.

I've tried to reproduce it without luck. Is there any open-source program that you can run in the background instead of youtube? (eg., vlc, etc.) That way we can look at every OS call being made.

The latest ZC beta version changes windows timers accuracy if anyone can test it: http://timelord.inso...Win_Beta_11.zip

#267 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

Opening a new quest file, clicking on String 1, then Edit freezes ZQE. Using Mac version.

#268 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

Opening a new quest file, clicking on String 1, then Edit freezes ZQE. Using Mac version.

This is using 2.50.2, or ???

#269 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:17 AM

This is using 2.50.2, or ???

He is using 2.50.2 Mac build.

Unfortunately, we don't really have a dedicated Mac OS guy that can debug those issues right now... :/

#270 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

He is using 2.50.2 Mac build.

Unfortunately, we don't really have a dedicated Mac OS guy that can debug those issues right now... :/

Sigh, I know, I know; I need to set up the Mac Pro. I do not look forward to building Allegro on OSX, much less getting ZC to compile with CMake stuff.

I have not compiled OSX software since the PPC days; however, if 2.50.3 did not have this issue, then it may already be fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users