Lost Isle

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#181 vravelo

vravelo

I was killed a lot""---, try me now..!

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

Keep going, vravelo, you're doing great, and seem dedicated enough to beat the quest! :)

Since there's some nice discussion going on about the quest I guess this would be a good timing to ask some specific feedback about the dungeons in the game. Of course you can comment on the overworld as well, I'm sure Wolfie would appreciate it, but as the dungeon designer I'm most interested in the pros and cons of each level.

Here are my own feelings of the 4 main dungeons and the three bonus dungeons:

1st Dungeon - Even today I think this is overall a pretty nice dungeon. But as a first dungeon it could have been a little shorter and maybe there was too much Raft-related stuff going on. I know some players gave up at this point already because it was too tough/confusing for some. Though Lost Isle is a challenging game so making the 1st level too easy would have given a false sense of security...

2nd Dungeon - I had a blast designing this one and after all these years I'm still satisfied and proud of this floating garden. The level looks great and it feels super confusing even though it's actually not that hard to figure out. The only thing I would fix are some badly placed warp portals, but other than that this is the standard I want for my dungeons if I ever work on another Zelda Quest or another game.

3rd Dungeon - We had a debate with Wolfie about this, which I unfortunately won. She wanted this to be like levels 1, 2 and 4 with only a couple of keys and the whole dungeon being a one big puzzle but I wanted the castle to be a more ordinary level with lots of keys and locked doors. I think this one ended up decent, but it could have been better if I followed the original plan. Also, I went too crazy with all the broken floors. I know some even gave up on the quest because it was so tough to navigate through some of those broken floor rooms. Really sorry about that. I personally love a challenge but sometimes I tend to overdo it. :D

4th Dungeon - Just like the floating Garden, I think this is a great level and even today I'm very happy with it. This seems to be the favorite level for most even though I personally like both level 2 and 4 equally.

The Ice Dungeon - This dungeon seemed to really divide people. Some liked it but some hated it. I think it was a decent one for a bonus dungeon. It looked pretty and had a nice atmosphere. Nothing special, could have been better, but a nice addition to the game I think.

The Crazy Dream - I had a blast doing the Windmill Dungeon. I've always wanted to go batshit crazy and do something like this. I'm glad Wolfie agreed and did let me go wild with this one. Everyone seemed to have fun here even though the place doesn't make any sense. But why should it if it's just a dream... ;)

The Red Mail Dungeon - Well this one was really short and underwhelming. But this one was added at the late stages of production and we just wanted the quest to be released. So there was no time nor strength to build a better dungeon. I wish I had the patience to make this one bigger and better, and even add a custom boss. But that's the life of a ZQuest creator. You have limited free time so sometimes the work suffers because of it.

Peteo!!! is that you for real..?? :omg:  OMG! think I was a kid first time we talked, you offered me some help but I was so fond of the classic tile set, that didn't care so much,,a friend of mine(SofaKing) was playing and I decided to give a try,, my god this game is incredible.. is fantastic,seem out of this galaxies stuff" thanks to RUSS Mattheo bluefox and more I made this far,, still stuck on level three but doing  the slow way,, so many peoples was talking about you and I'm glad you came around :bounce: 

#182 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

I was away for a rather long time, but nowadays I check out the forums every now and then. ZC was such a big part of my life for so long that it's hard to just forget about it all. I enjoy reading comments about Lost Isle and just chat with some of the old familiar faces. And reading your comments about the quest, I really hope you get to finish it some day. The Castle can be super frustrating but if you get to the 4th Level, I think you could like it alot. :)

#183 vravelo

vravelo

• Members

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

well... as off today I haven't been able to get the stepladder ,since I'm unable to trow the boomer side ways to fast, ordered the joystick,, that one didn't work C'uz windows 7 don't support boomers like this one,,,ordered anther one last night,, need to wait for that thing to come..... :shrug:

#184 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Well that sucks! :( Hoping for better luck with the new joystick...

#185 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

I want a polished Megaman:Dr.Wily's Revenge for 2.5... It would be a dream :bounce:  It's the quest that got me into ZC and it's something really special for me. After all these years of enhancements, there are very few quests similar in environmental storytelling to your quests. 

Edited by Air Luigi, 24 May 2017 - 07:06 PM.

#186 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:19 AM

@ Pete: Since you're somewhat back, I'll give you my feedback here a bit.

If the blue mail dungeon had been a tad shorter, butt the red mail dungeon a tad longer, it would have been purrfect. I always felt the ice dungeon was too big for just one item. The nightmare dungeon with the doom cave was also a little too big, butt the price was worf (pun intended) it. Also, the MIDI choice for the first part of the nightmare dungeon rocked.

About the main dungeons: Level 1 - as you said yourself - was a bit too long as well, and the bug with the door closing on you again after clearly unlocking the shortcut in the middle of the dungeon was very annoying, I have to admit. There was an equally annoying bug in Level 4 where the unlock for a certain door in a Blue Darknut room would suddenly revert into locked when you left a certain spot. My favorite was certainly Level 2, also because of the nice reference to Illusion of Time (Gaia) and the Sky Garden there. However, the MIDI choice for Level 2 even outdid the one from the original Sky Garden in IOT (G). As for Level 3, you know my opinion already, lol. Level 5 was a nice cumpilation of the other levels and the introitus with the firecaves (of Bajor lol) was excellently done. Even though I'd have prefered to not have the enemies respawn immediately. The MIDI of Level 5 is worldclass, also Level 1's MIDI was great, felt rocky and mysterious at the same time.

Edited by Matthew Bluefox, 25 May 2017 - 01:19 AM.

#187 vravelo

vravelo

• Members

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

well got my joystick yesterday ""logitech" this one work on my windows and trow the boomer diagonal very good so maybe today i'll get that ladder at level-3 :unsure:

• judasrising likes this

#188 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

well got my joystick yesterday ""logitech" this one work on my windows and trow the boomer diagonal very good so maybe today i'll get that ladder at level-3 :unsure:

Hi vravelo

Dont worry you will get the ladder , last time i played Lost Isle i played it with the keyboard and belive me it was not fun to do that room before the ladder

but i had some luck.Now i use xbox 360 gamepad

Edited by judasrising, 25 May 2017 - 02:21 PM.

• vravelo likes this

#189 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

I want a polished Megaman:Dr.Wily's Revenge for 2.5... It would be a dream :bounce:  It's the quest that got me into ZC and it's something really special for me. After all these years of enhancements, there are very few quests similar in environmental storytelling to your quests. 

I want one too. ;)

But seriously, the quest has some pretty awesome parts, but also some really crappy parts that I've always wanted to fix. However, sometimes you just have to let old stuff alone and move on as MMDWR has already been rewamped multiple times... But never say never.

Matthew Bluefox, thanks for the feedback. And I agree about the Blue Mail Dungeon. It should have been shorter and more simple as it was supposed to be just a mini dungeon, and part of that time and effort should have gone the the Red Mail Dungeon. About those bugs you mentioned, I don't recognize them... Those bugs may have been caused by playing the quest with ZC 2.5 instead of the specific LI player the quest came with when it was released. But fortunately Lost Isle is perfectly beatable with ZC 2.5 despite some weird new bugs.

Edited by Peteo, 27 May 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#190 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

I want one too. ;)

But seriously, the quest has some pretty awesome parts, but also some really crappy parts that I've always wanted to fix. However, sometimes you just have to let old stuff alone and move on as MMDWR has already been rewamped multiple times... But never say never.

I know. I still replay the quest sometimes. Despite how unpolished is compared to today 2.5 standars, the quest still captures my imagination. There is something about the multiple overworlds, caves, sewers, towns or the unique tileset that really excited me. It's funny because today, there are ton of quests with fancy scripted stuff, and I don't care much about these, because usually they are lacking in exploration. MMDRWR has exploration depth and unique locations. I like also the cryptic secrets in MMDRWR, Lost Isle was more streamlined in overworld exploration, it was harder to miss something. 

#191 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:03 AM

I really feel Red Mail should have been locked behind Blue Mail, cause getting the red mail that easy made the effort put into getting the blue mail feel worthless.

#192 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:08 AM

With which version should LI be played to avoid those bugs then?

Well, I would still get the blue ring because doing the whole game just before the end with just the green tunic is definitely too hard.

#193 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

With which version should LI be played to avoid those bugs then?

When LI was released, it came with its own ZC Player and the quest worked pretty much as intended on that one. But for some reason DarkFlameWolf converted the quest to use ZC 2.5 and now there are some unintentional bugs because of it. So the version of LI you find from PureZC must be played with ZC 2.5. But as I said, there shouldn't be any game breaking bugs so it's all good. The original version of Lost Isle has been long gone from the world of internet. But I'm sure I still have it somewhere on my computer.

Edited by Peteo, 28 May 2017 - 08:05 AM.

#194 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

I really feel Red Mail should have been locked behind Blue Mail, cause getting the red mail that easy made the effort put into getting the blue mail feel worthless.

But the Red Mail isn't available until the end. You have to beat the entire quest in green clothes if you skip blue mail. The Red mail is just for "cheating" against the final boss and for extra stuff like Master Dome.

PD: A epic dungeon for Red Mail wouldn't hurt, obviously xd

Edited by Air Luigi, 28 May 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#195 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

@ Peteo: Was that the version with no Deathboes in the doom cave's boss room?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users