41 replies to this topic

#1 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

Tabula Rasa

a miniquest by Jamian

Tabula rasa is a Latin phrase often translated as "blank slate" in English and originates from the Roman tabula used for notes, which was blanked by heating the wax and then smoothing it. This roughly equates to the English term "blank slate" (or, more literally, "erased slate") which refers to the emptiness of a slate sheet previous to it being written on with chalk. 

(Wikipedia)

nwtzfEY.png9N8DQif.pngxUSsgak.png8W4hQJ5.pnglL8InB6.png

I hope you weren't expecting my next long, epic quest, because this isn't it  :P  I currently am too busy in real life, and will continue to be in the foreseeable future, to make another big quest (I'm sorry if this disappoints you). But I found the time to create this experimental miniquest, which was a whole lot of fun for me, and I hope you'll have as much fun playing it too.

In this quest, you start with nothing. Literally nothing. You have to relearn basic features such as moving around, having a subscreen, being able to use your buttons, etc. Even the title screen and the cutscene explaining the storyline have to be found within the game.

You can expect meta jokes, fake glitches, and about one hour of gameplay for a first time player. The quest is currently being beta tested and polished, and will be released soon. This thread is meant to be used for comments and questions about the quest.

• ShadowTiger, Anthus, Shane and 10 others like this

#2 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

Interesting, I wonder what kind of stuff you would do when the player can't even move or press A.  :odd:

It brings a whole new level of player progression from what I read in the description.

#3 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

This reminds of Button Lock! (a game where you unlock more buttons) Looks like we came up with the same idea! Lets see who can implament it the best.

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

I'm excited for it! A miniquest is great too, it doesn't have to always be big epic adventures. :) Your idea does remind me of Evoland, but it's different. Also it's great to see a finished quest being announced unexpectedly.

Edited by Avataro, 15 July 2017 - 07:11 PM.

• Naru likes this

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

Where can I find it? 

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

Where can I find it?

The quest is currently being beta tested and polished, and will be released soon.

:P

This looks pretty cool though. I was actually wondering what you were up to with quest making earlier this week. Sorry to hear life's been busy, but glad to see you're finding the time to do some cool stuff at least. I'm looking forward to trying this out when it's released.
  • Anthus likes this

#7 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:05 AM

That description definitely sounds like a very interesting experience lol. I'll be looking forward to playing this whenever it gets released. Good luck with finishing it up!

#8 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

I actually had never heard of Evoland until now (it looks cool, I'll probably try to play it). And you're right, it seems like we had some similar ideas... damn it. It's all coincidental though :P

Edited by Jamian, 16 July 2017 - 01:36 PM.

#9 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

I actually had never heard of Evoland until now (it looks cool, I'll probably try to play it). And you're right, it seems like we had some similar ideas... damn it. It's all coincidental though :P

No problem. I'll just keep in mind to not make comparisons to that game.

#10 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

The quest is now uploaded

http://www.purezc.ne...e=quests&id=640

#11 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

This honestly sounds awesome. Definitely giving it a try.

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

Gotta say, this is a really nifty quest so far. The Wind Labyrinth was quite a frustration to get through, but I'm happy the trees and whirlwinds you reveal are permanent. Otherwise, that would be really evil and bad :P

And I'm also stuck. Just got the candle in the Flower Dungeon and a key to spend in a cave in the graveyard. I found the shop where you can buy the L/R buttons, but I haven't got 20 rupees and I have no idea where they are. Help would be appreciated! :D

Edit: Just as I say this, I manage to find 20 rupees in a random set of grass. Great lol

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#13 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

Hi. I beat it :D (Thanks to Eddy for the tip for the 20 rupees)

3 things I want to say for now:

An actual bug: I could go out of bounds right before the finale, by walking along the top row in the passageway. It's possible to get to the ending this way too.

The storyline is too well hidden. I only found it because I read your reply to Eddy's review. It should be a bit more obvious in my opinion.

Awesome quest! Thanks for making it.

Edited by Avataro, 17 July 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#14 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

Good catch on the passageway bug :P That one is a standard Z1 passageway (not a custom screen) and I'm not sure why it's behaving that way. That dungeon is an actual Z1 dungeon type too. I'll fix it and update the quest file ASAP.

I didn't think the storyline was that well hidden (that lone thing really catches my eye, as far as I'm concerned) but I don't want it to be too hard to find, so I'll make it a bit more obvious too while I'm at it.

#15 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Might be just me and Eddy who'd miss the storyline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users