Help with "A New Adventure"

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Game completed. Finished with only 1 death (at the very early part of the quest)

I have never played anything like this. Even though I only died once, it was not easy. I needed some fancy footwork to complete it, especially the last levels.

oh yeah. i have the oppiste. it's like sometimes i am so sloppy, you'd think I think I can kill enemies with my face.

didn't finish, need raft. completed level 5.

#32 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

I agree about the music. I wonder why all your stats (pow, str, ex, lvl, etc) are at 0 in the screenshot?

I was wondering that too. How do you raise those stats? I've killed enemies all over from wizzrobes to lynels to darknuts and no level ups.

#33 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

I was wondering that too. How do you raise those stats? I've killed enemies all over from wizzrobes to lynels to darknuts and no level ups.

You normally just kill any enemy to raise your experience stat. Hm, looks like a bug with the script. You should notify jsm about it. :)

#34 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

the music was not an issue for me. It usually doesn't affect how I rate these quests....

#35 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

You normally just kill any enemy to raise your experience stat. Hm, looks like a bug with the script. You should notify jsm about it. :)

so that is what it is?

argg. i've been doing a LP and now i need to do it again or just put a script in?

http://youtu.be/skirDMfn9oE

#36 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

so that is what it is?

argg. i've been doing a LP and now i need to do it again or just put a script in?

http://youtu.be/skirDMfn9oE

I think that the experience and level up system is not required to beat the quest, so you're good to continue playing. It's just that the level ups would make the game easier to beat, because level ups also increase your life and such. In any case, you can't put a script in it, as the author would have to do that. We will have to wait for what jsm116 says about this. :)

Edited by Avataro, 22 October 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#37 Spelunker

Spelunker

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Looking for the magic sword and trying to get into these spots.

Also my experience and level values are stuck at zero.

r4cbxn7.jpg                 47OiO9M.jpg

#38 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Spelunker, the first picture is the way to level 8. You will get the whistle in level 7 and the second picture requires an orange bomb.

I just beat level 8 and I'm walking around trying to get enough money for the ring I want to buy but I realized I had never found the way to the island near the bottom right corner of the map. I've tried both of the raft paths nearby but no success.

Nevermind I just realized how to get there :whap:

Edited by ms_zelda_lady, 22 October 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#39 aprazma

aprazma

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Finished the quest. I liked the Experience feature - it made it worthwhile crushing random monsters.  I'm so lazy, the only spell I tried using is healing.

I didn't visit every room in Level 9, but I guess that is optional. Wonder if I missed anything super-interesting.

Also, I never bothered to use the flippers. Was there something important with them?

Edited by aprazma, 22 October 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#40 jsm116

jsm116

Script kludger

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

I'm glad everyone is enjoying my quest :) I spent a lot of time working on it and your enjoyment is certainly a great payoff.

To the players who aren't getting EXP the only thing I can think is you're using an older version of ZC that isn't reading the scripts correctly. If it's not that, then I really have no idea. I tested both the fast and slow machine versions and all the counters seem to be working fine.

@ carole, try the purple spell to get the ring. It'll make the last part of the quest a lot easier.

@ Brian: thanks for pointing out that bug. It'll be fixed in the next update.

@aprazma: how the heck did you get through without magic? I built the dang thing and I can't get through without using all the spells. And what flippers did you find? There shouldn't be any flippers anywhere.

Also, to everyone, I'm working on a revised version with better music and changing things to allow for the overworld map. I need to take a little break from ZC to work on some other projects, but I should have it up in a couple weeks.

#41 Love For Fire

Love For Fire

Adept

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Just finished this tonight, looks like a gold ring was available from the screenshots... whoops where do I find it? I'm actually kind of glad I didn't find it at first as I thought the game was kind of easy and a gold ring would be pretty OP. But that explains why the end game enemies all of a sudden started hurting a bit. Some other things I noticed:

- Level 7's "2nd half" has a bug if you try to leave through the entrance you get put back in Level 7, but in the upper left corner.  Easy warp return fix there.

- The gray crystal (with the magic reduction items) is OP as hell. You can kill just about anything in 1/2 casts AND refill MP?

- The higher levels are a little weird. In some cases I actually needed LESS exp to get to the next level than the one before it (happens a couple of times in the 80s/90s)

- Interestingly, though the inventory says Level xx/99, you can in fact level up once you've hit Lv99 and still gain stats/item capacity. Wonder how high it can go.

#42 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

I'm glad everyone is enjoying my quest :) I spent a lot of time working on it and your enjoyment is certainly a great payoff.

To the players who aren't getting EXP the only thing I can think is you're using an older version of ZC that isn't reading the scripts correctly. If it's not that, then I really have no idea. I tested both the fast and slow machine versions and all the counters seem to be working fine.

@ carole, try the purple spell to get the ring. It'll make the last part of the quest a lot easier.

@ Brian: thanks for pointing out that bug. It'll be fixed in the next update.

@aprazma: how the heck did you get through without magic? I built the dang thing and I can't get through without using all the spells. And what flippers did you find? There shouldn't be any flippers anywhere.

Also, to everyone, I'm working on a revised version with better music and changing things to allow for the overworld map. I need to take a little break from ZC to work on some other projects, but I should have it up in a couple weeks.

I'm using the latest build of 2.5, fast machine version. Based on the screenshots it seems others are having this issue too.

#43 aprazma

aprazma

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

I leveled up to 32, and did use the heal magic. Mostly I was just lazy, and enjoying burning through the levels, to select another item; but I tried out the other spells after finishing the game - very cool. 

The item I mistook as flippers - appears to be a blue cape (?) to the right of the power glove.

#44 jsm116

jsm116

Script kludger

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

@aprazma, that's the hover cape. When you jump after getting that you can float for 7 tiles instead of just 3 or 4 with the feather alone.

@Love for Fire, thanks for letting me know about the bug. It will be fixed in the next revision. The highest number level you can reach is 99, but you can still get exp and boost your hp/mp. A lot of the magic system is affected by your level, and that stops going up at 99. Also, the amount needed for the next level is partially based on a random number, so you're not going crazy--it is possible to require less for the next level. At lower levels it's not possible, but the way the algorithm is set up, at high levels it can happen. At the time of release I still wasn't thrilled with the math, and I'm going to play around with it a bit more. And you're right, the grey spell is wicked powerful. The gold armor is in one of the underworld minidungeons, but obviously not necessary to beat the game.

@Brian, I'm really sorry you're not getting everything out of the game that you should. :( I will look into it further and see why the scripts aren't working right. Are other scripted items (all the magic, the whip, the crossbow) working for you? I'm curious how insidious this glitch is--whether it's just the counters, just the display of the counters, or the scripts as a whole. EDIT: I've been watching LikeLike's LP video, and for them it looks like it's just a problem with the display--exp is still gained and levels earned when appropriate. But still frustrating to not see it. Which platform (PC, Mac, or Linux) are you using? The quest was written on PC and it's possible there's a porting issue that the ZC team isn't aware of.

Edited by jsm116, 23 October 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#45 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:35 AM

Yeah level ups do seem to work, just not displayed. No big deal though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users