Photo

Screenshot of the Week 583

Polaris Joelmacool MrPow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 583 (35 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Polaris

Polaris.png

Some forgotten ruins in a stilled forest.

Joelmacool

Joelmacool.png

Gah! The Zora got away!

MrPow

MrPow.png

Old Man: "Over here, Link! You can your 'Z Button' to target me, and then... Wait, what do you mean you don't have a 'Z Button'?...Hold on.. let me check the manual... Hmm... I see nothing about Z-Targeting... Well, never mind then. Forget we had this conversation, alright?"

• Joelmacool likes this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

Polaris - Excellent screenshot here. I love the dark atmosphere, and it has that really nice forest look to it. The smaller trees here actually do make screens like this look much better, so I really like where this is going!

Joelmacool - Nice swamp shot. The water does seem quite empty for a swamp though and could really use more details (like lilypads, weeds, anything you'd find in a normal swamp). Other than that though, it looks good and I like the house.

MrPow - You're definitely getting better with the mountains, so good job on the progress! I like where you're going with this screen, though I feel like the grass on the left side could use a bit more ground detail (maybe more flowers or tall grass). The black outline around the bottom of the house roof also looks a bit off. You could try and use a separate layer to make the black edges transparent (I hope that made sense, I'm bad at explaining stuff as you can probably tell lol). Another thing is the mountain curving just to the right of Link looks odd too, but it isn't so major. Also is that face made out of dirt on the bottom-right intentional? It looks kinda like a tile error to me (as the dirt at the bottom just cuts off). Though if it is, nice smiley face I guess :P

I voted for Polaris this week.

#3 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

Voted Polaris. The overhead treetop shadows are an especially nice touch that adds to the atmosphere

#4 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Let's face it: the ZC community are suckers for forest screens. Voted Shane, too. Heh.

Edit: Redrawn tMC bushes and the roses from Firebird would look nicely along these tiles I figure.

Edited by Sheik, 31 October 2016 - 03:28 PM.

• Rambly likes this

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

My vote went to Shane, but Shane and Joel both had exceptional screenshots. Mr Pow's has a wonderful layout that would have gotten my vote most likely, save for the detail problem.

Let's do a really quick review. The grass, as it's used in that screenshot, isn't being used that right.

8CHSNgE.png

The grass tile boxed in red should never be used. It's low detail and ugly compared to the rest. Some people will use it sparingly (DoR Hybrid's example screens do this even), but I think it's better to be in the habit of not using it at all. Instead, you want to use the four boxed in blue. Now, they don't necessarily have to be used in that same repeating pattern like they area in this example screen. For example, let's look at and old DoR shot of mine. Ignore the poor cropping. The grass doesn't follow any particular pattern here. Well... no readily apparent. I have some near-OCD tendencies when placing it but that's beside the point. Basically, as long as two of the same tile aren't touching each other, you're fine. You can see how big a difference it makes if you compare it to the same shot without the detailed grass. While the forest canopy overlay hides it somewhat, it still comes across as much flatter and more boring.

Additionally, you've got a little tile error at the bottom right. The dirt tiles should always form a complete loop, or terminate at the side of a mountain (like in my shot above). Having them abruptly end like that is jarring. I'd also caution against having two of the 1x1 dirt tiles right next to each other.

I know this probably sounds kind of critical, so I wanna stress that your screen layout is really good. Those mountains often laugh at attempts to use them correctly, but you did well. Just fix up the detailing and it's an A+ shot. DoR and DoR Hybrid are tough sets to use, especially with the detailing, so just think of this all as a learning opportunity.

#6 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

A wild expert appears  :ohmy:

Polarishane has the best mix of setting and detail, and the mini-big trees turned out very nice.

Still, if I was buying a house, I'd probably go for the one in Joel's shot.

• Joelmacool likes this

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:59 PM

With 61.29% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 583 is Polaris!

Polaris.png

Congratulations!

Voting totals:

- Polaris (19 votes [61.29%])

- Joelmacool (6 votes [19.35%])
- MrPow (6 votes [19.35%])

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Polaris, Joelmacool, MrPow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users