• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

https://www.dropbox....yv2/MM.zip?dl=0

The quest file has changed a bit since the last version, so replace the old one if you still have it.

If you want to learn how it works and play around with it, you should read Overview.txt and then look through the example scripts. The quest file is unpassworded.

I've done a lot of work on this in the last few months, but there's still more to be done. To a large degree, that's contingent upon someone wanting to make a game with it, so if anyone does, let me know. I don't currently have any plans to make a full game from this myself. It's not out of the question, but I think it's more work than I'm up for right now.

The game engine part of the code (the engine directory) is isolated from everything else - it has no dependencies other than std.zh and string.zh - so it would certainly be possible to take just that part and make a totally different game. However, it is somewhat geared toward NES Mega Man games, so you'd probably have to make some changes if you wanted to use it for something else.

By the way, most of the files use Unix line endings, so you shouldn't open them in Notepad. Sorry about that.
  • Eddy, Obderhode, Evan20000 and 5 others like this

#2 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

Saffith, this is incredible. I've long lamented the lack of a Mega Man editor, and here's something that lets me build a MM game in a program that I already know and love and am already capable of scripting for? Seriously, you've just made my dream come true. The question isn't "will I make a game with this?" but "When will I make a game with this?" I just can't conceive of the magic you put in to make this happen. As Hagrid would say, "You're a wizard, Harry." Well, you know, with "Saffith" instead of Harry. It's not like he'd say that to just anyone, and it would be wrong of me to quote him indirectly. So that'll have to do. All I'm saying is, this is amazing, and I'm very excited to experiment with it and eventually make something with it. Thanks for putting the work in on it.

#3 Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

I tried it out, and it seems accurate I couldn't say myself since I never played the megaman game or paid close attention to the physics.

but it looks really well done

sadly I couldn't reach the end of the level since I such at mm games.

#4 Obderhode

Obderhode

There is great power in knowledge.

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

This is the best thing I have ever seen on Zelda Classic!

How is this even possible - I am SO impressed! I have always dreamed of making some type of Mega Man game and I love the Zelda Classic engine... this is WAY too cool!!

#5 Sans

Sans

Hey kid wanna buy hot dogs ?

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

I wondering if with thoses i could make New MegaMan it's very well done i must say

Edited by Cedric, 15 June 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#6 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:05 AM

What's the secret with the scrolling? Are Mega Man, the enemies, and bullets not the "normal" kind you'd find in ZC, and therefore more suitable to scrolling?

#7 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

They are not. The backgrounds are regular screens, but drawn with Screen->DrawLayer(). Everything else is completely scripted.

• Bagu likes this

#8 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:59 PM

So, you can stitch two screens together to make a full NES-sized screen?

#9 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 January 2021 - 12:31 AM

Yep. Just draw the screens at appropriate offsets:

IvXu4Vw.png

• Bagu likes this

#10 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:00 AM

How do you get the collision for two screens to work at the same time? Can ZC detect the solidity of the combos on the upper screen?

#11 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:37 AM

How do you get the collision for two screens to work at the same time? Can ZC detect the solidity of the combos on the upper screen?

You can remotely detect solidity. Using 2.55's 'mapdata', you can simply use a basic 'isSolid()' check- or if you wanted to go Zoria's route, you could create a bitmap which acts as a solidity mask, making checking collision as easy as checking if the pixels at the right spot on a large bitmap are colored or empty. Not sure how Saffith has done this in particular, but there are numerous ways to do it which all work. Of course, this does mean scripted solidity checking- but that's kind of inherent in doing scrolling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users