Photo

A community built Link to the Past tileset?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: On this proposal

Is a Community Made tileset a good idea?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Quanta

Quanta

King of Thieves

• Members

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

I have an idea to create a Link to the Past tileset from community submissions, in a hopeful effort to keep the project going strong for a long enough time to have it be completed.

Anyone for/against such an idea?

(just an idea what would be involved)

-palette submissions

-tile submissions

-sprite submissions

-script submissions 

Edited by Ganondorf, 22 January 2017 - 04:09 AM.

• SUCCESSOR likes this

#2 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

I would really like to see this happen. I was working on an ALTTP project a few years back and the biggest reason it was shelved was the terrible ALTTP tileset. I was basically remaking the whole tileset as I was going. I have recently (very recently, like last week) started a new project that is ALTTP but a different goal but will eventually veer toward my old project goals and toward making a ALTTP tileset that works for me. Whether it works for anyone else or can be reworked into something more "mass-market" will be a wait and see sort of deal.

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

For it, absolutely. This is the type of think I want to bundle with ZC or 2.future, in the future, as a quest template.

There are some decision to make though, notably:

Will you support the large Link, and enemy sprites?

...include all boss tiles?

...include proper Z3 mountains?

...include Parallel Worlds graphics?

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 21 January 2017 - 09:28 PM.

• Matthew likes this

#4 Quanta

Quanta

King of Thieves

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

For it, absolutely. This is the type of think I want to bundle with ZC or 2.future, in the future, as a quest template.

There are some decision to make though, notably:

Will you support the large Link, and enemy sprites?

...include all boss tiles?

...include proper Z3 mountains?

...include Parallel Worlds graphics?

-What I am thinking of now, there will be full boss tiles and possibly boss scripts, some bosses would be much harder to script in.

-There will definitely be proper Z3 mountains, although they may be slightly edited to be easier to use.

-There probably won't be Parallel Words graphics. Since ALTTP already has a ton of graphics, adding Parallel Worlds graphics would probably overload the tileset.

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

I think it would be cool, but really, most of the most viable AlttP tiles are already widely circulated and used (trees, most objects, dungeon walls, doors, even the mountains with varying edits). AlttP's raw, large graphics also aren't always a good fit for ZC's screen size. Even in AlttP, the entire tv screen has tiles, and those extra three rows of tiles were the hud is would need to be freed up to make it not look cramped in ZC, plus, that scrolling.

But if this happens, that's cool too! :)

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

-What I am thinking of now, there will be full boss tiles and possibly boss scripts, some bosses would be much harder to script in.

-There will definitely be proper Z3 mountains, although they may be slightly edited to be easier to use.

-There probably won't be Parallel Words graphics. Since ALTTP already has a ton of graphics, adding Parallel Worlds graphics would probably overload the tileset.

Regarding PW stuff... Not really? For the most part, it;s trees, bushes, some structural tiles, and Link's graphics. The canon shooting enemy was in the Z3 tileset, as were some other objects that PW used that Z3 did not. They were in the ROM, but never implemented. (I happen to love the PW trees and buildings, and we already have a near-complete PW tileset that could be used as a base, adding in tiles from Z3 that are missing...)

Bear in mind also, that we're hoping to expand the tile pages for 2.54+.

This sounds good though. If I had the time to make a full tileset, this would already be done.

I have quite a lot of Z3 object scripts that are each in one of the following states:

Done, working.

Probably done, untested.

Nearly done, needs some revision, and testing.

Partially implemented, spanning various files.

Sketched out, and wouldn't be too hard to implement.

This is mostly item, and engine related. I do not make many npc scripts, but on the plus side again, if we make this for the next ZC version, where it can be a scripted quest template, we might have some useful new things, such as shocking NPCs, ice rod/enemy freezing. lift objects, and similar.

Much of that is on my list, so some of the dependence on scripts could be minimised, and even in 2.54, I added in script flags for many of these effects, and enemy defence conditions that while unimplemented, can be read and be scripted to produce an effect, such as shocking Link.

Then, if they are later implemented in the engine, we need only remove the script for the effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users