Original Graphics Showcase

• Please log in to reply
1785 replies to this topic

#1696 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

I animated another character. Not much else to say. Very similar animation, to the point where it actually borrows some pixels.

nKbmUkD.gif

• Koh, Shane, Eddy and 5 others like this

#1697 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

Those disappearing white and black pixels on his chest started to look really distracting once I looked at the animation long enough to notice them.

Besides that, it looks very smooth, realistic, and 3D.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#1698 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

I animated another character. Not much else to say. Very similar animation, to the point where it actually borrows some pixels.

nKbmUkD.gif

His eyes actually flash green in one of the frames. I don't know if that's intended, but it really throws me off.

#1699 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

His eyes actually flash green in one of the frames. I don't know if that's intended, but it really throws me off.

Oh that's intentional, I just didn't do it intentionally. Does that excuse work? No? Well then. I guess we'll have to fix that. Seriously though, thanks. Did not realize that. His eyes used to have a different color and I changed it in the middle of working on the animation. I guess I forgot to update a frame, heh.

Those disappearing white and black pixels on his chest started to look really distracting once I looked at the animation long enough to notice them.

Besides that, it looks very smooth, realistic, and 3D.

You're right, that does look odd now that you mention it. My thinking behind it was that you'd have the reflection of the chainmail/metal chest piece sort of 'bob' with his walking, to give the impression that the reflection itself is stationary. I still want to do something like this, but maybe avoiding some of the contrasting colors might help it blend into the metal a little better. Thanks for pointing that one out!

#1700 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, your sprites look pretty darn good actually!

#1701 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Try as I might to focus my creative efforts on finishing Ignition (on the last level!), I consistently find myself looking ahead to the sequel instead.

So, here is my very first piece of (very, very, early) art for Carnage in Space: Crucible. It features - what else - the game's protagonist (yet again): Nightmare.
Eventually I'll be adding a couple more playable characters to liven things up, but I gotta start with what I know!

Newest sprite on the right (obviously) with older sprites from CiS ZC and CiS: Ignition. Again: Very early draft!
J6BujfH.png
Points of interest (and points I'd like critiqued):
  • 3/4ths perspective instead of true side-view: His head is unchanged; not sure if I'll need to rotate it towards the camera or if I can just leave it.
  • Shinier armor: Besides looking nice, I hope that the lighting will make it easier to tell what's what. His shoulders, chest, and shins are have lighter-colored beige/gray plating over his black/dark-gray suit.
  • Coloring: Different parts of his limbs (shoulder, upper arm, lower arm; calf, thigh, foot) all have different colors to make it easier to tell body parts apart.
  • Wings: In Crucible, Nightmare sports a big pair of dragonfly-like wings. These will open up as shown during gameplay, and fold down against his back for talking cutscenes.
  • Fewer black (out)lines: His hips don't have black lines and blend into the rest of his torso. I'm considering doing this elsewhere (like his arms), like on his arms.
tl;dr Do you like it? What glaring flaws need to be ironed out? Would you play as this guy (again, as the case may be)?
  • Astromeow likes this

#1702 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:49 PM

zelda142.png

Have 60 tiles' worth of rocks. [or 24 tiles' worth of rocks and 36 tiles' worth of rock barrier, which is slightly different I guess]

They're for the Firebird tileset, but I'm pretty sure that they could be used elsewhere.

• ShadowTiger, Koh, Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder and 4 others like this

#1703 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

Can you submit them to the Database? They look really nice and with just the picture you easily forget whom to credit for them.

• Jared likes this

#1704 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

eLaUtci.png

Not 100% sure these walls really fit the other Firebird wall sets. Would like a second opinion.

also, a gohma and its gelatinous L3/L4 cousin.

#1705 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

They fit in terms of dimension, but stylistically... I don't know, they just look like a shaded grid.

I know repeating patterns are inevitable with tile-based graphics, but this takes it far beyond any of the other FB wall sets (at least that I can recall).

Maybe they would look better with a fully textured floor rather than a solid color.

For now though, there's just way too many vertical divisions in the bricks, which makes the tiles look to me as if they were drawn on that grid paper I use for math class. At the least, try alternating the vertical divides between rows so they aren't in a perfect line. Bricklayers never use vertical stacks for good reason.

I do like the shading and coloring though.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder and coolgamer012345 like this

#1706 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

Here's 4 more wall sets. Might change them up a bit, though:

7GEIcKq.pngXvps0Q6.png

fpnIC09.pngbLdVilh.png

• Anthus, Eddy, MoscowModder and 3 others like this

#1707 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

If you guys know me at all, you'll know I'm not the best spriter. My worst category? People/ Characters/ NPCs. I want to get better though. This is literally the first time I have actually completely drawn a single 16x16 character from scratch, with no source material, and haven't quit cause I felt that it suuuuucked. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck, but I want some opinions on like.. well, everything I guess. Can you tell what is going on in the sprite? There's a few variations here in the bottom row, which were just copy/ pastes of different colors/ iterations. The top row is the 'final design' as this has been going on for like 2 hours now :P. This is not exactly for ZC as is (the way she is standing doesn't really lend itself to 4-way movement) but I'd like to eventually make a sprite sheet of an original female character for a ZC project of mine. This blue-haired character is a character I've had in my head for a while. The sprite ended up looking like Sonic and Shantae had a kid, but whatevs.

EDIT: The bottom row was the original post, the top row is just different expressions. The top-left one is the "most detailed" one taking advantage of all 9 colors. Again, pretty new to this :heh:

HRiPM1y.png

• ShadowTiger, coolgamer012345 and Naru like this

#1708 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, I can sort of tell all of those things. As first tries go it's not at all bad. Could you post a scaled up version of it, though? Like you said, it's really tiny.

• Anthus likes this

#1709 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

@Anthus: Took another look at your zoomed-in sprites. They look pretty nice! I can sorta tell that she's standing with her hand on her hip. Er, that is what you intended, right?

Anyway, as proof that I have not dropped out of existence (or, more importantly, game development), here's a recent work of my own. I present it to you utterly devoid of context. Enjoy!

JI5OUz3.gif

EDIT: I just had a rush of inspiration and threw this together in about an hour. I believe this is the last detail image in the Armory that needed a redesign.

DTHtZ7k.png

Edited by MoscowModder, 08 July 2017 - 11:59 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Anthus, Shane and 1 other like this

#1710 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

The Great Deku Tree:

WD2VGyT.png

Finaly got that stupid Maku Tree graphics fit for ZC screens... it's been bugging me for ages.

• Eddy, MoscowModder, strike and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users