Zelda Classic Running Very Poorly?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

I'm not managing to run ZC at 60fps when playing quests. It feels like I'm somewhere between 30 and 40, and it also feels very rough because of that. Does anyone know why is this or how to fix it? My computer is a laptop but its also pretty decent so I'm not sure its a hardware problem.

Thanks.

#2 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:01 AM

I seem to recall someone else having the same problem recently... I think the issue there was that the power setting was too conservative, so the video hardware was running too slowly. So maybe try changing the power settings?

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

I can try that, thanks.

#4 CSD

CSD

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

I couldn't figure out what (if any) power settings to change, so follow a suggestion to put a muted youtube video on repeat and that seemed to keep my computer awake enough to play ZC.

Edited by CSD, 24 April 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#5 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

Does it help to run the game in windowed mode?

#6 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

I run it exclusively in windowed mode and still have issues sadly.

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

So maybe in fullscreen then? Everyone has much better FPS in fullscreen.

#8 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

Everyone has much better FPS in fullscreen.

And no tearing on low-hz monitors.

#9 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

And no tearing on low-hz monitors.

Is this happening on the latest dev branch? Or just 2.50.3?

#10 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

We didn't release anything from the dev branch yet. :P

I suppose we can poop a beta out after the new stuff is done and see if it explodes or not. ;)

#11 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

I'm pretty sure it's just Windows being Windows. Or WinXP being WinXP, specifically. Most games/programs do that when windowed rather than fullscreen.

Far as I know, the entire tearing issue happens because, despite that you may set a monitor at 60 or 75 or 144 Hz in the display panel, Windows continually spams the screen with as many FPS as possible rather than adjusting its output to the Hz setting. So any program that displays through a general Windows interface gets that problem, because even if that program runs at an even 60 FPS, the fact that it's windowed means it's being translated to the standard Windows FPS rate, and the clash when the frame rates don't perfectly align causes the tearing. Something like when you record a CRT display with video camera.

Of course, when you run a program full screen, that becomes the sole source of the display's framerate, hence when running ZC full screen, its precise 60 FPS aligns with standard refresh rates and eliminates tearing.

The exceptions are programs that run their own individual displays separate from the standard Windows display. For example, movie files that play in VLC or Windows Media Player, like DVD or Blu-Ray rips, have some kind of separate display module. I don't know exactly how it works, but I know that if you press "print screen" and try to paste into an image editor, you'll get a big black box where the video should be displaying. You can also see the video image lag behind the window image if you drag the window around rapidly. They're two separate things, and because that video display is somehow independent of the standard Windows display, the low FPS video divides perfectly into standard refresh rates so you never get any tearing, whereas window-based streaming like Netflix will get tearing in fast action/panning scenes.

Unless you're going to somehow do like the video players do and make ZC have its own separate display module beyond being a basic window, I don't think there's anything you can do about this.

(And yeah, I have no idea what's up with dev branches.)

• Matthew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users