Photo

Prince's ship

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:50 AM

Has anyone used this? If so, you realize the palette error that requires anyone that wants to use it to recolor ALOT of tiles to compensate for the fact that the tiles bg is black, as well as the outline.

So, I was hoping someone's recolored this. It doesn't have to be for any particular palette.. I'm just looking to avoid reoutlining.

By the way, what I'm talking about is attached.. I replaced the black in the shot with the tradtional pink bg to illustrate the problem.

note: Anyone who's done this will be credited in my amendment to the ship tiles in the loose tile section.

#2 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:01 AM

Well, apparently no one has used it. Which is not surprising considering I haven't seen it anywhere. It probably requires so much combo allocation that nobody has tried yet, despite how cool it looks. After all, ships are not a given necessity in quests.

Anyway, I had a similar problem with Prince's windmill. It may be an embarrassing oversight that no one has caught this problem yet, but I'm willing to bet that Prince himself can remedy this for you. Apparently the discrepancy was caused in an image program. This has happened to me before; some programs have the annoying "feature" of combining all color slots that have the same color value if the palette format is ever adjusted. icon_razz.gif

#3 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:04 AM

Thing is, I have an image editing program that can breakdown and reduce a palette very easily..

Yet, I can't seperate the black from the bg from the black of the outline.

Here's hoping Mike sees this.

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(Teilyr @ Feb 2 2006, 06:04 AM)
Thing is, I have an image editing program that can breakdown and reduce a palette very easily..

Yet, I can't seperate the black from the bg from the black of the outline.

View Post

Yeah, that's the thing... the two colors are probably one now. Fused. Merged. I'm sure your program has no way of telling the two apart.

The only way for people like Prince to keep their images safe from this problem is to make sure no two of the colors used in their pictures are indentical. Then saving it. That's what's irritating about using a program that is made for visual art, rather than stuff that's going to go into a program: it does certain things automatically, assuming they are convenient, when they most certainly are not. icon_sweat.gif I only stick with what I've got -- Paintshop Pro 5 -- because I know it pretty well after using it all these years. I'm not sure what Prince uses.

#5 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:37 AM

And people wonder why I use the pink background for everything.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Rad.

#6 Flaming_idiot_dude

Flaming_idiot_dude

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:17 AM

I agree. Blue or green is more pleasing to the eye.

#7 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:49 PM

I've used it/recolor it for a game I making. It turn out very good, which is no surprise.

But it's in a diffrent pallete cause its kinda of mixed.

Edited by DragonBoy, 02 February 2006 - 04:49 PM.

#8 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:09 AM

Eh, you're too slow. icon_razz.gif

I finished it already.. Thing is my art program (The gimp) keeps rearranging the palette when I reduce it.

So, I'm not really sure what to do. I mean, it's functional to a point but, the way that Gimp is arranging the palette, every single tile would have to be recolored to fix the error that's being created.

If anyone could help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll keep tinkering, though.

By the way, here's a preview (before/after)

Prince's - user posted image

Mine - user posted image

As you can see, I've fiddled with Prince's palettes, removing the unnecessary browns and replacing them with red for the sail. A few other changes have been made also.

If I can get the palettes to reduce correctly, I'm gonna go ahead and recolor this for the DoR and Pure (maybe) sets.

Comments?

#9 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:50 AM

Hmm... did you do all of the tile work in ZQuest? If so, the bitmap that comes out should already be reduced to colors ZQuest can rip easily.

To get a GIF out of it, just opening and saving with GIMP should keep the same index since the bitmap is already indexed. icon_shrug.gif

#10 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:37 AM

Well, I did that. But, when I do.. Well, lemme show you. (Yay, pics!)

Okay, I start with this cset - user posted image - and do my coloring and work in zq.

Finish it up, after 1&1/2 hours and too many curse words. - user posted image
(I know this looks just like Prince's.. It's the recoloring I just finished for the DoR set.)

Then, I take a screenshot with f12 from zq, then take it to gimp to make a gif for preview.

user posted image

When I look at the reduced palette I figure, "Wow.. That's alot of effing colors. Lemme reduce it like I've done 900 times before so it's easy to rip."

So, I click on mode, then switch the image to rgb, then reindex it, and my cset gets majorly twisted.

user posted image

It's useable now but, if the user rips from the reduced image, they'll have to recolor EVERYTHING to fix the twisted cset. >.< (note to self: Do we have an emoticon for that? Check.)

Anyway, what do I do? Should I not worry about reducing the palette, or am I doing something wrong in Gimp?

#11 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

I don't think that will work very well with GIMP. The thing is that it's easy to make a completely new cset with GIMP, but it's difficult to get the structure of an existing cset. GIMP re-organizes the palette since it only keeps the colors that are visible in the image.

You'll likely have to find a program that can do this easier... like GraphicsGale (I need to get that again).

#12 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

Odd. I could've sworn I did this with Gimp in the past. icon_ahha.gif .. Wait, I did! With the ANaSc set, as well as dancing banana and other stuff.

Ah well.. I guess I forgot how to do it right.

Getting off topic at this point but screw it. icon_lol.gif I'll look for GraphicsGale. Thanks bud. icon_smile.gif

#13 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

Ahem. Anyone who played the Eya's Song beta knows that I have the ship recolored in the intro. I have the tiles at home, (I'm at school right now), but I can send them to you later. Or you can just play the demo and rip them.

#14 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

I've.. already recolored them. icon_blink.gif

But anyway, if I'd KNOWN there was a beta for Eya's Song, I'd of played it.

YOU SIR, NEED SIG LINKS.

#15 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:34 AM

user posted image

I rearranged the colors from the image you showed to match the cset you showed.

I love GraphicsGale... as I did this in less than 3 minutes. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users