Most Liked Content

#882049 Congratulations, Evan20000!

Posted by nicklegends on 31 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

(Direct link: http://youtu.be/sgmVoBB_Hh8)

• Rambly, DCEnygma, Nathaniel and 24 others like this

#878890 What is Love?

Posted by Rambly on 15 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more

edit: Please stop liking this post, it's a bad post

• tim, DCEnygma, Nathaniel and 24 others like this

#891427 I'm stuck in Zelda's Butt

Posted by The Satellite on 24 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

This topic's title is amazing.

• Rambly, DCEnygma, nicklegends and 21 others like this

#1010410 Server Migration (and my Retirement)

Posted by LinktheMaster on 26 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

Hello everyone! For everyone in the US, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving! And for everyone, I hope you all have been enjoying the much better holiday of the release of a new Pokemon game. :P

I know it's not typical for the staff to announce their retirement (especially in an announcement) and I'm honestly not the type to want to make a big fuss over it, but I figured you all deserve to officially know. Over the years I've unfortunately felt myself drifting away from Zelda Classic and the PureZC community. I've loved this place, and it's been my home online for around 12-13 years. I have a lot of memories here with a lot of amazing people. However, all things tend to come to and end, and lately I've found myself having other priorities and interests in life, and I haven't been able to give PureZC the attention it deserves, and I don't really want to string you all along into thinking that I'm here when I'm not. Granted, I don't plan on vanishing completely, but I doubt I'll be very active outside of GD and GE.

With my departure from the staff, I am leaving the site in the very capable hands of the staff, and I've been working on trying to give them more access to some things that they may need in my absence. Part of this process involves me transitioning PureZC over to another server (the former beta server). With this migration, I've been able to clean up a couple things up a bit, isolate PureZC on its on environment, as set things up to allow giving the keys to someone else. Furthermore, it's getting PureZC out of the Linode datacenter which has been plagued with lots of DDOS attacks, so hopefully this will also give the site some more stability.

I'm planning for this migration to happen tomorrow morning around 7am EST. I don't expect any issues with the transfer process, but as there are some DNS configuration changes, it may take a while for people to get directed to the new site.

I'll make a post when the updates are done tomorrow, but otherwise, thanks for everything, everyone. :)

(P.S. Since I assume that it'll come up at some point, Nick and I are hoping to release what we've done on Fairy Dream to the public in the future, as well as release an unpassworded version of it with all of our scripts.)

• 4matsy, tim, thepsynergist and 21 others like this

#878902 What is Love?

Posted by Hergiswi on 15 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

My theory is that everybody came to this thread to make the same post as Rambly and realized it had already been done.

#995085 Rules for Reviews and Ratings

Posted by Aevin on 18 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

After a recent topic and several staff discussions, we have decided to add rule #12 to the Site and Forum Rules to clarify our expectations for ratings and reviews. Most of this isn't new, but we wanted to make it clear that yes, we expect you to play quests and try other submissions yourself before rating them.

This by no means requires you to play a whole quest, of course. If you lose interest or rage quit, by all means share your experience in a review. But if you haven't played any of the quest yourself, your impressions from quest projects or let's plays would make more sense in the comments.

If you see any ratings or reviews breaking these rules, please use the report function to let us know.

------------------------------------------------

12. Be considerate with reviews and ratings.

Reviews should reflect your own opinion after trying a database submission for yourself. In the case of quests, it's recommended that you at least play in a few dungeons (depending on the format of the quest), but more complete playthroughs are ideal. Do not rate quests based solely on viewing a Let's Play or on the description, screenshots, or quest project alone. Music submissions need to be listened to. Scripts should be at least tried in an example quest. Tilesets and loose tiles should be tried for yourself, unless a significant portion of the tiles are displayed in the screenshots. Any reviews that rate the submission without trying it first will be removed.

Database entries should be rated with your own personal opinion, not to "correct" other peoples' ratings. Do not rate things higher or lower than you normally would with the intent of undermining other members' reviews or adjusting the overall score. Reviews that do this will be removed.

Constructive criticism is of course encouraged in reviews, but please try to be respectful of the person who submitted it. Remember that in the end, we're a community mostly of amateurs doing this for fun. Just like with other areas of the forum, harassment will not be tolerated in the reviews and comments on a submission.

• ShadowTiger, tim, Anthus and 18 others like this

#980085 Most attractive video game character

Posted by a30502355 on 10 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

Title not specific enough, so

Magnetsprite.gif

• ShadowTiger, tim, DCEnygma and 18 others like this

#977794 Zelda Classic 2.50.2

Posted by Saffith on 22 October 2015 - 10:49 PM

This is it. No betas, no release candidates. See shardstorm.com (since build 1703) for changes since 2.50.1.

Downloads
  • nicklegends, Lunaria, Polaris and 18 others like this

#1006067 Phoenix, A Link to the Past inspired tileset

Posted by FireSeraphim on 15 September 2016 - 02:30 AM

Phoenix%20Thread%20Header.png

Welcome to the official thread for my WIP Phoenix Tileset! As a few of you may be already aware, I've been working on this tileset for roughly a week now (And this is impressive since I have gotten ALOT done in that small time frame, although it may still need testing). And now for some Q&As and some exposition for those reading this thread so people will know what to expect.

Q: What is your goals with this tileset?

A: Simply put, I am hoping to make my own take on a "ALTTP Plus" styled tileset that's actually fairly faithful to (some of) the stylistic sensibilities of ALTTP while adding some polish here and there.

Q: Anything peculiar we should know about this tileset

A: Yep, I feel that I need to inform you that for the overworld I'm using tiles that have been condensed or scaled down to account for the actual size scale of a 16x16 pixel sized Link, but the dungeon and interior tiles will retain their full scale from ALTTP and before you claim this is inconsistant I will point out there is actual prior precedent in the LOZ series for this in good ol' Zelda 1 on the NES and I think it works here as well. 'Fore you all start worrying this tileset will not be another Pure.

Q: Do you have a release plan of sorts?

A: Infact I do, This tileset will be released in three phases

• Phase 1 - "Light World"   which will include alot of basic overworld tiles, interior tiles, cave tiles (and palette), most of the usable dungeon tiles, unique light world tiles that have never been ripped before, the palettes for the Light world (Overworld), Hyrule Castle, Hyrule Castle's Basement (it's palette is actually shared with the Dark World's very own Swamp Palace), The unique and never before ripped palette for the Sanctuary (Yep, the Sanctuary actually has it's own palette), The Eastern Palace, The Desert Palace, The Ice Cave (It's palette is shared with the Dark World's Ice Palace) and the Tower of Hera
  • Phase 2 - "Dark World"   which will include dark world tiles, including those that have never been in any other set before, The palletes for the Dark Palace, Skull Woods, Thieves Town/Gargoyles Domain, Ganon's Tower and the Pyramid of Power (The Pyramid has it's own palette as well)
  • Phase 3 - "Realm of the Heavens"   which will include what unique little bits was recently ripped from Four Sword Adventures (and any potential future ripped assets that might be made in the interim) as well as bits and pieces of my unique reworking of some of the tiles from Crusader of Centy (obviously only the stuff that wouldn't have too much trouble fitting into ALTTP) and other tiles that fit into Phoenix's artstyle

Q: Can we see some screenshots?

A: Sure.

Phoenix%20Screenshot%20Bundle.png

• Neptune, thepsynergist, judasrising and 17 others like this

#893224 Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by Rambly on 01 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

shigeru miyamotowned

• tim, DCEnygma, Hergiswi and 16 others like this

#1019717 Back or whatever.

Posted by Lüt on 20 April 2017 - 11:53 PM

This thread is art.

Which is precisely why, upon reading it, I immediately contacted my primary watercoloring contractor and commissioned this wooden wall hanging to add to my gallery:

Spoiler

• ShadowTiger, tim, Espilan and 16 others like this

#976568 Mass recoloring

Posted by Saffith on 11 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

It's not available quite yet (should be soon, honest), but I thought I'd provide a brief introduction to 2.50.2's new mass recoloring tool. It's useful for fixing tiles that don't match your palette structure or making palette-swapped enemies.

recolor-1.png
(Yeah, it says ESP 2, and it looks fine in that. Just go with it.)

Select the tiles to be recolored and click "Recolor" or press Ctrl+R, and this window will pop up:
recolor-2.png

Each color in under "From" will be replaced with the corresponding color under "To." Drag and drop colors into "To" to create the desired mapping.
recolor-3.png

Click "OK," et voilà:
recolor-4.png

If you've got a lot of tiles to redo, you can press Ctrl+Shift+R to repeat the last recolor without bringing up the dialog again.

As you can see, this can be selectively applied to each CSet in 8-bit tiles, but there's also a separate 8-bit mode. This works a bit differently.
recolor-5.png
recolor-6.png

Drag and drop colors to both the "From" and "To" sets. Any colors not in "From" will be unchanged. You can do up to 16 at a time.
recolor-7.png

This mode only recolors 8-bit tiles; any 4-bit tiles selected will be unaffected.
  • ShadowTiger, 4matsy, BigJoe and 15 others like this

#1009534 Rule Reminder - No Irrelevant Political Discussion

Posted by Evan20000 on 09 November 2016 - 09:12 AM

I know the US elections have come and gone and everyone's emotions are running high, but I want to remind you that PureZC is not the place for such a political discussion.

Now, that out of the way, I want to ask something of you as a user and not a staff member: Please, don't let your political differences fracture the friendships you've made on this site, or in general. We're a fairly tight-knit community and it pains me greatly to see fights break out over stuff like this. If you want to discuss it offsite, there's nothing stopping you, but please do it in a calm and civil manner. I'd really hate to see something like this cause any unnecessary fractures in our small corner of the internet.
  • 4matsy, Ben, Shoelace and 15 others like this

#993396 Not really a progress update but...

Posted by Polaris on 02 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

A lot of people have asked how do I go about making screens. I even got a request in making a thread for it. I personally tried dodging this because to be honest, I just wing them most of the time. Sometimes my method changes depending on my mood and what I'm creating. In this quest's case, I just winged it. But I caved in, so I will show you all how I (generally) make a screen, using an existing one I have made. Hopefully this will also give me enough time to do something big and substantial with my next update.

Anyways, here are the three main steps to my method, nothing fancy or surprising:

1: Primary Structure

A screen can look pretty damn boring if everything is straight and boxy, especially mountains. I think my issues in the past was that I designed my screens too boxy in order to obtain that Gameboy Zelda feel and look. But let's be honest: Zelda Classic's screen size is just far too big for it to work and look great. So if you're like me, you're better off going wild with the structure. In my case, I start off with the mountains, so I can determine what will be on each elevation. The following screen is going to be a coastal field, so ocean goes on the bottom.

CSH6cMy.png

It looks fine, but we could spice up the mountain a little bit more. Since the bottom right section is definitely going to be inaccessible, I will do something there. It's a little difference, and wouldn't matter to most, but it can add a better sense of depth, even if trivial.

NwfMlXg.png

2: Secondary Structure

Things like trees, water, houses, etc. I consider second. There won't be any water or houses but there will be trees, and I want to add just a few so I can add enough detail afterwards and not clutter the screen. I will add some to the top right to close off that corner. You don't have to close off your corners but IMO it just makes the screen look nicer. Once everything is structured we can determine where the details will go.

5wBwjOY.png

3: Details

Things like grass, bushes, interactive objects (such as rocks, burnable trees, etc.) are all the finishing touches that can determine how your screen can be interacted with. I want to add not only bushes but a secret here too, but I will do that last. First, I place bushes in areas that aren't in the way. This gives enough breathing and fighting space for the player while having stuff on the side. It will also leave enough room to add other things too.

iQeF3Wd.png

4T5qgfT.png

Next I added grass and rocks in the water. I decided that since this screen won't be accessible via swimming so I can go all out on the water details which will also tell the player they can't swim here. I would generally make it very clear that you can swim here otherwise by making a clear and direct path surrounded by rocks and whatnot. Making swimming tedious by adding rocks (and other kinds of details) everywhere without thought can be pretty frustrating. So you ought to be as considerate with detailing the water as you would do elsewhere. Since 16x16 tiles of rocks can look pretty boring, and the trees need layers, I decided to make 8x8 rocks in which I can layer onto the screen. Though, I learned that Link can swim right through them which looks odd, so I removed them from any accessible paths in the water so they're mostly a visual thing now (if I'm making any sense here).

Lastly, I added thorns in which Link can get rid of via his boomerang. And who knows? Maybe there's a secret underneath one of them...

80Y23tR.png

Well, that's it! Pretty simple, right? Hopefully this helps people who have asked and requested this understand my mindset behind designing screens (for the most part). I would say go wild but also be thoughtful. It's all about experimenting and trial and error. It took me a few tries to get this screen right (especially the mountains), so it's easier said than done. It's all about practice and patience honestly.

I hope this makes up for the lack of updates as of late too. I don't want to show just caves for the next few updates. Hopefully I will get to the dungeons soon. :)

• BigJoe, Eddy, Avataro and 14 others like this

#971166 Terrorist Attempt Foiled at Pokemon World Championships in Boston

Posted by The Satellite on 23 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

Good work, Officer Jenny.

Officer_Jenny_OS.png

• ShadowTiger, Mr. Z, tim and 14 others like this

#963729 Gay marriage now legal in the US

Posted by Russ on 26 June 2015 - 10:50 AM

It's certainly taken us a long time to get here, but gay marriage is now legal in all 50 of the United States, as per Supreme Court ruling. Technically, there's a three week period before the ruling goes into effect, but from what I gather, states are already handing out marriage licenses. The debate is far from over - I'm sure the religious fundamentalists will be throwing hissy fits for months after this - but the battle's been decided.

It's probably obvious from the tone of this topic that I'm more or less ecstatic over this. It's high time civil rights marched forward. I'm a bit sad it had to come down to the courts, rather than the people, but ultimately, I'm just glad that homosexuals finally have equal standing under the law.
  • 4matsy, tim, Nathaniel and 14 others like this

#877225 FireBird Tileset to be released soon!

Posted by Sheik on 08 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

The FireBird tileset is a project Supindahood, Linkus and myself have been working on for a while now. Our most noteworthy contributors have (knowlingly and unknowlingly) been Migokalle, Bourkification and Radien. The tileset started out as the monochrome quest project "Mirror of the Moon" which has been inactivated after its scripter left the community. The vast resources that were already compiled have been lovingly colored, largely resprited and compiled into an ever-growing collection of easily 90% original custom work (others being edits and such). What I personally like so much about the tileset is, next to its visual charme, its extremely user-friendly usage that requires minimal layering and is about as straightforward as the GBC tilesets. Yet, additional tiles such as the big door frames, advanced grass etc. allow for a more erlaborate look if that's what you are going for.

The tileset (100% of its content) is soon to be publically released. Overworld and dungeon stuff is largely done (though I personally wouldn't mind a few more dungeon sets), palettes are growing in numbers steadily and the sprite work has been started on. Honestly, the only real challenge left is compiling a set of Link sprites, NPCs, enemies, item sprites and effect sprites that work well with the style of the rest of the tileset (that's partially why I chose not to include any in-game screenshots in this thread). For the "first release", these might be limited to original Z1 content, though there might be the odd extra tile.

I am sure many of you have seen the tileset used in certain SotW entries by now, but let me share some of the eyecandy with you anyways. Obviously, this represents only a fraction of all the tiles that are in the tileset (in fact, I didn't even take screens of the alternative mountain sets!).

ZY4wD9W.png486NTTI.pngZTE5vZc.pngLgKlhzl.pngwgKjlq4.pngA38wFIj.png1jQC2mF.pngSvohbM2.pngymz4lIS.pngmD3W80o.pngADDDOCC.pngpkudYIP.pngSWJUg9e.png5sPxqYd.pngra5AQc5.pngKq2qKwV.pngUouzTCF.pngfExLuLR.pngz5DVv2i.pngSpRh2D4.png8NjCzOC.pnguScC5Me.png6izmSOX.pngwbakPHd.png

The FireBird tileset is to be released before the end of January if all goes as planned. This is not to say that it will be out there by that time definately, but it is the goal we are working towards to. I cannot stress enough that this would have never been possible if it wasn't for Supindahood's and Linkus' devotion to the project who both have spent countless hours spriting for this over the course of the last year.

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.purezc.ne...showtopic=63875

• Neptune, Rambly, DCEnygma and 14 others like this

#1000997 Wildland Shrine (2)

Posted by Polaris on 26 June 2016 - 03:18 AM

It's in the same stage as Spellbound Temple. Design-wise 100% complete but there are a few things needed to be done to render it completely playable. I'll do that later as I want the quest physically completed as soon as I possibly can. Then adding in warps, scripts, polish and such should be easier to do.

I took in some suggestions in the previous thread, and I am personally happy with how it looks and the general flow of it. Here are some screens:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Next up, completing Ancient Waterworks and then moving on to the final main dungeon, located on the snowy mountain. That's not all though, I will be making bonus/side content soon after all that's done which includes mini-dungeons. That's all for now. :)
  • Sephiroth, Neptune, Twilight_Knight and 14 others like this

#938497 DCEnygma Campaigns for Sexy Beast 2014

Posted by DCEnygma on 05 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to finally usurping the throne this year.

• Rambly, Nathaniel, Hergiswi and 13 others like this

#925791 ***-QUEST COMPLETED-***

Posted by Lightwulf on 11 October 2014 - 05:11 AM

And it's DONE! Finally!!! :awesome:

I was able to beat the quest with the red ring, white sword, and skipping the Slash Upgrade. If you can do better, let me know!

I'll be uploading it to the database as soon as I get my credits in order; gotta' give 'em credit, you know.
  • judasrising, CastChaos, SpacemanDan and 13 others like this