Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4171 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

Been playing a lot of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne.

It's a really fun game, though BS at times.  Like, when you're trying to level up certain skills, you're forced to be weak to certain elements/ailments.  If you want to level up good physical skills, you have to be weak to insta-death effects.  If your MC dies, it's game over, even if the rest of the demons in your party live.  It's a pain sometimes.  It's still fun though.

Have fun with Mot. He's one of the best SMT troll bosses in the series.

Speaking of SMT, I recently picked up Persona Q. It has everything I like about Persona 3 and 4, but none of the social/visual novel elements, and you don't need a guide to do everything on time/ have knowledge of random things they teach in japanese schools.

#4172 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

I've been watching some DK64 videos and people talk about how it's much too much of a collectathon.

What this game needs is the addition of Slender Man.

#4173 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

I kind of agree... DK64 is too much of a collectathon when you're going for 101%.  When you're just playing the game to beat it, I don't think it's really a problem.  It's not like you need to go the whole 9 yards every time you play it, people.

#4174 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:27 AM

Well I beat OoT3D. Ultimately I'm a little more fond of it than I was last time I played it and I think it boils down to one thing the 3DS version does immensely better than the N64 version: Text speed. I know I already mentioned it but I just can't stress enough how speedier text contributes so much to a more comfortable and player-friendly experience. The agonizing text crawls of the original N64 version and, to throw in another example, Skyward Sword are the opposite of fun and really drag the game to a halt whenever a lot of text or a cutscene plays. The mere speed-up does wonders for the overall experience.

Other than that my impressions are much the same. It doesn't overall feel as much as a slog as before, but Hyrule Field is still boring as hell and the game doesn't get truly fun to explore until you're an adult and can do some sequence-breaking, which makes it all the more fun. It does show its age, and movement and combat can be clunky, but overall I still find it fun. The best game of all time? Not even close. The best Zelda game? Not quite. The most important Zelda game? That one I can grant. I wouldn't hesitate to call it, the first game, and A Link to the Past to be the three most important games in the series for varying reasons. However I can't help but feel it shows its age more and more as time goes by, which makes it feel... I'm not gonna say less fun, but not the same as it once did.

I still want Zelda. I get Zelda 1 tomorrow for that race, but I want more than that before BotW comes along. I considered Twilight Princess but I don't feel like there's enough time between now and March 3rd to finish it. So why the hell not? Let's replay A Link Between Worlds again soon.

• nicklegends likes this

#4175 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:21 AM

Have fun with Mot. He's one of the best SMT troll bosses in the series.

Speaking of SMT, I recently picked up Persona Q. It has everything I like about Persona 3 and 4, but none of the social/visual novel elements, and you don't need a guide to do everything on time/ have knowledge of random things they teach in japanese schools.

Phantom gave me more trouble than even Metatron.  I cheesed it by using all my MP before going into the fight.

#4176 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:57 AM

A few days ago, I realised I've never beaten EarthBound before (I've only ever gotten as far as the Titanic Ant). So I've decided I want to play and beat the game. Of course, that's yet another game that I've added to my pile, but I want to focus on EarthBound for a while.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#4177 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:44 PM

Bought Hybrid Heaven for $10, Billy Hatcher for $30, and Robotrek for $40. Should last me until the Switch.

#4178 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:54 AM

I keep getting small games to tide me over until the Switch and I keep overestimating how long they'll last.

I beat Severed two weeks ago. I found it to be a fun game—unlike anything I've played before. That said, I wish there were some sort of challenge mode available so that it had some replayability. (Frankly, I was a little disappointed in that fact: the game's studio is the same that made Guacamelee, a game that didn't have the same problem.)

I also recently beat the NG+ for Shovel Knight. I might have to move on to Plague of Shadows for the next few weeks.

...Man, I really want the Switch to be here...

#4179 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

Been playing smb3 (at world 8 with 69 lives) and the original N64 version of OoT. And TS is completely right about the text speed. Uhhhhg it's a slog, but a lovable slog. If I record Master Quest, I'm definitely playing the cube version.

#4180 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:49 PM

I kind of agree... DK64 is too much of a collectathon when you're going for 101%.  When you're just playing the game to beat it, I don't think it's really a problem.  It's not like you need to go the whole 9 yards every time you play it, people.

This is how I feel when people treat open world games like virtual hoard simulators. 

#4181 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

I've been playing Tales of Berseria a lot.  The PC port is pretty good, a lot better than Zesteria's.  Honestly, so far, the plot is one of the best Tales of games.  For me right now it's:  Abyss > Berseria > Vesperia > Symphonia.

#4182 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:38 AM

Playing through Golden Sun for the first time, the beginning portion has waaaaay too much dialogue! You definitely need to put text speed on fast. Even so, it's still annoying because of the conversation structure in the game:

(something happens)

Character 1: (shakes head)

Character 1: "???"

Character 2: "___ just happened!"

Character 1: (jumps)

Character 1: "!"

Character 1: "You mean ___ happened?"

Character 2: "???"

Character 1: "???"

Character 2: "Let's go check it out!"

Character 1: (nods)

Character 2: (nods)

...and people talk this way all the time.

Edited by Cukeman, 21 February 2017 - 03:42 AM.

#4183 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:17 AM

Hold B and press A rapidly, that's how I usually get through it.

#4184 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

i almost clear tial of cold steel at nightmare difficulty, i almost did it but i cannot kill the final boss...i will try again, after all i already defeat it in past even if the difficulty was minor

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 21 February 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#4185 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:55 AM

My favorite subplot in A Link Between Worlds is so simple and subtle but so effective.

The blacksmith and his wife in Lorule. They're the first people you meet in the world (apart from Hilda) and they're... kind of jerks. The wife is the one that pulled you off the road but questions why she even bothered, acts snippy when you wake up, and wants you to immediately get out and on your way as soon as you're capable. The blacksmith is meanwhile just a grumpy guy, disinterested in anything. He even thinks your legendary Master Sword is an amateur's work! Really paints a good picture of how the populace of Lorule isn't exactly in the best spirits due to the condition of their entire world, but they still don't exactly make you sympathize with their behavior.

That is... until the blacksmith sees you with your tempered sword from Hyrule. He takes interest in your upgraded sword and considers it a fine job, though boasts that he could do better. But he's in better spirits, wanting to prove himself and asking you to bring him Master Ore to upgrade the sword even further. He's fired up, which surprises his wife. And, once your sword is upgraded, he feels much better and even thanks you for the opportunity, and his wife is reminded why she fell in love with him in the first place. Even the dwarven blacksmith is happier with the new atmosphere. Even though the world is basically doomed, you've managed to brighten up these people's lives a little.

Again, it's really subtle, but I think it's my favorite part of the game, story-wise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users