A proposition for people to involve themselves within my game

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

So first of all, why would anyone want to help me or involve themselves into something they have no idea about. I agree, I'm simply asking because there may possibly be people on this website who are generous enough or find enjoyment out of group game projects. Please don't take this as advertisement or anything, as I'm looking for people who enjoy working on group projects. So let me lay out my proposal. 

IDEA:

Firstly, the idea for the game is a "mash-up". Specifically, I'm taking custom edited sprites from spriters-resource.com and using them as the games graphics e.g. to start with, I've ripped Mario and Mario tiles to create the first level. I want to include a bunch of random games that everyone loves, especially: Zelda, Sonic, more Mario, Pokemon and whatever games I come across, or custom tiles that I think would fit this game. My clearest intentions for the games aim and reason are still a little foggy, but personally I need to dive right into a project to make progress. I usually plan and design intensively after a few test levels and further on. However, I do have a rough idea and it will go as such: The game will open with you being able to select a world (Mario world, Pokemon world, Zelda world etc.) and you can begin playing through the levels (I also want a story included in each world, nothing to in depth but something that will keep the player interested to progress). Finally, the last level will have the main boss of which ever game it comes from, or possibly a completely random boss. I want some RPG elements like being able to increase the amount of life you can have so you don't have to restart the world completely after x3 deaths. Being able to purchase a double jump feature which may be essential to some levels, weapons or whatever. Character development can always be a benefit in games if implemented correctly. I think the clearest way to describe my game without sounding like a rip-off, or too inspired from is: I wanna be the guy/I wanna be the boshy, without the ridiculous difficulty the game possesses, the randomness. I want to include how it uses so many different game sprites and tiles, but using that as a structure to create a game that has a story and reason to play.

GAME ENGINE:

The engine I am using for this game is Construct 2. I have a licence for it and I am quite good at using the engine, some tasks take me a while to figure out as a new problem I stumble upon can be a bit of a headache. It allows programming, but something I really like about it is the programming feature it includes, which is VERY powerful, flexible and easy to pick up. I learned this engine and Stencyl before learning programming and I believe the way the programming functions work in this game helps newcomers into understanding programming. I am sorry to anyone if this deters them since it is not ZC, but personally I feel better using a program I am VERY comfortable with rather than learning a new one. The game will all be a platformer, purely in 2D. 

WHAT I'M ASKING FOR:

I'm not really asking for anything. I will take anyone who wants to get involved in this project. I assume a lot of people won't be able to directly work in the engine since it is not ZC and I imagine that is what everyone here uses. However an example of kinds of people that could help are: tile editors/tileset editors, graphic designers, testers, people who could work in the engine, people who play and give feedback and so forth. Really looking for everyone and anyone who have ideas or skills.

Thank you for reading my post. I think the main thing I will be hoping for is feedback and ideas. I am going to post a link of the first 5-6 hours of work I've put into the game (it's just the first level, which I don't plan for I start building and working on the games SIMPLEST mechanics). It's a representation of what I want the first level to look like and the overall Mario world. There are issues already that I am aware of that just require attention from me to fix such as: the jumps can be quite annoying, although every jump is possible, a double jump or easier jumps would be efficient. Not too sure how I am going to balance it since I do want the game to be somewhat difficult, but not to the point it's worth closing down and not playing. Finding that balance is rather hard, since I test the game so much I feel like my representation of balance is not as good as a new player since I know how to perform everything. Hitboxes, animations and so forth need to be cleaned up and some new animations for Mario need to be included (most importantly THE JUMP animations). Overall, I think for just fleshing out the first level, I've done OK and am rather happy with it. I hope you guys can at least play it and throw in some feedback. 

LINK: http://leagueprogram.netne.net/

EDIT #1: ALSO MAJOR EDIT, ARROW KEYS TO MOVE, HOLD CONTROL TO SPRINT! Sprint jumps will give you more air time bro.

EDIT #2: Got some feedback from 2 people I know irl and they told me that the jumps are ridiculous. I find them really easy but maybe after so much testing, I've figured it out. Due to this, I hope anyone who has tried has not been irritated. I have updated the game with the ability to place 3 checkpoints wherever they want on the map. This should help with frustration due to dying high up resets you all the way to the beginning meaning it's just as hard to get back to the jump you are stuck on. (If for some reason you don't see it in the starting loading screen, press C to place a checkpoint.)

EDIT #3: Put in some sound effects, music, more animations (jump, duck, die, Koopa die) and cleaned up some stuff. 

EDIT #4: Created the intro to the game, giving some story and back-bone to the game. Kind of just making it a more legit game rather than throwing you into Level 1.

Edited by LinkFan64_Reformed, 21 December 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#2 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

Since the game's a mashup of other sprites, I could do a cover song or two.  That's about the only thing I'm best at.

#3 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

Since the game's a mashup of other sprites, I could do a cover song or two.  That's about the only thing I'm best at.

Hey! That would actually be awesome! Hit me up in the personal messages and if you can, link some stuff you made, intrigued to hear.

#4 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

I found a glitch, if you jump over a 1 block sized hole, Mario can somehow levitate over it for a few seconds.

I like the idea of a browser based Mario game, but it could use a bit of polishing. There don't seem to be any animations for killing enemies or collecting coins. I still think that here is a lot of potential in this!  

#5 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

I found a glitch, if you jump over a 1 block sized hole, Mario can somehow levitate over it for a few seconds.

I like the idea of a browser based Mario game, but it could use a bit of polishing. There don't seem to be any animations for killing enemies or collecting coins. I still think that here is a lot of potential in this!  

It's to do with collisions and a lot of what you are mention I am very aware of, but I don't tend to strike these problems until I've finished early development due to it not being game breaking. Stuff like animations that need to be included I always save until last, (currently working on music, sound and added a few more Mario animations). I think it's just my format of development, I create the skeleton and then flesh it out after I've finished the basic design. It's going to be more than a "bowser" based mario game ;) It's going to contain many more sprites from other games and have stories that  hopefully all interlink funk-ily. Thanks for your post man!

#6 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

It's to do with collisions and a lot of what you are mention I am very aware of, but I don't tend to strike these problems until I've finished early development due to it not being game breaking. Stuff like animations that need to be included I always save until last, (currently working on music, sound and added a few more Mario animations). I think it's just my format of development, I create the skeleton and then flesh it out after I've finished the basic design. It's going to be more than a "bowser" based mario game ;) It's going to contain many more sprites from other games and have stories that  hopefully all interlink funk-ily. Thanks for your post man!

Just don't sell it and you should be fine. Nintendo seems to be cracking down on commercialized fan-made games.

Also, is there any way you could assign jump to the space bar instead of the up key? The space bar for jumping feels more natural IMO.

#7 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

Just don't sell it and you should be fine. Nintendo seems to be cracking down on commercialized fan-made games.

Also, is there any way you could assign jump to the space bar instead of the up key? The space bar for jumping feels more natural IMO.

I was never planning on selling it, don't worry. I'm also going to try spread out so all content involved is not focused on Nintendo. I can in the future, but right now I'm just using the buttons I would set personally. Sorry if that is an inconvenience, as soon as I've done with a few more hours of tuning up, I think I'll add in being able to set your own controls, or alternative controls. I also need to include in WASD.

• Kivitoe likes this

#8 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:41 PM

I was never planning on selling it, don't worry. I'm also going to try spread out so all content involved is not focused on Nintendo. I can in the future, but right now I'm just using the buttons I would set personally. Sorry if that is an inconvenience, as soon as I've done with a few more hours of tuning up, I think I'll add in being able to set your own controls, or alternative controls. I also need to include in WASD.

Oh, good! WASD are my favorite game controlling keys.

• LinkFan64_Reformed likes this

#9 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

Hey guys, I updated the link with the edits I've included in my original post. I also included the beginning of Level 2 in the Bowser chapter. Yet, there's barely any work done on it. Beginning to realise how not being super organised in folder hierarchy and layout of programming can begin to effect the efficiency of productivity, quite annoying as sometimes I feel lost within my game and it's files!!

-- edit --

Ran into some problems with music after inserting the intro to the game...ffs.-.

--edit 2-- 

fixed it, enjoy trying it out if anyone reads this!

Edited by LinkFan64_Reformed, 21 December 2016 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users