Photo

What game/series have you tried without knowing anything about it?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

Like the title says, what game or series have you tried with prior knowledge of? Did you like/love/hate it?

For me, I had tried a game series at the beginning of this year on Steam. I had bought the Re;Birth games from the Hyperdimension Neptunia series because they were on sale for a fairly low price and they looked interesting to me. Couldn't play them at first because my computer was pretty slow. I had gotten a new computer the following month, and since then, I have played through all the of them and a spin off game, completed with 100% Achievements. I'm currently playing through the newest of the main series, and it's my favorite so far. It was a pleasant surprise, and I think money week spent.

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

Pokemon is definitely a big one for me. I decided to start off the series by playing FireRed about 6 or 7 years back. Not surprisingly, I was really bad at the game but the learning experience was really nice and I had a really fun time playing the game. After that, I've pretty much been playing that quite a lot, and I'm soon gonna be getting Moon :P

Another game I played without knowing anything about was Undertale. And I was pretty happy getting lucky with avoiding all the spoilers online because I was pleasantly surprised with the game and it was really good. Though I must admit, it isn't as amazing and groundbreaking as a lot of people claim it is. Sure it is a good game, but I found quite a few issues with the game myself especially with all the bullet hell stuff and Flowey's battle (that's just one of the worst bosses I've came across in quite a while).

• Neppy likes this

#3 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

I didn't play Elder Scrolls until Skyrim and was highly excited when I started playing it. Now I have the Special Edition and am still loving it.

Same goes for the Witcher 3. Need to get back into that one.

If you're a sad panda that fell into Final Fantasy post-SNES, I pity you. :P
  • ShadowTiger, Neppy and Nathaniel like this

#4 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

I've been curious about Undertale, enough to buy it on Steam while it was on sale. Haven't played it yet, but like you Eddy, I haven't been spoiled.

I've come close to buying Skyrim Special Edition a few times. The only thing I know about it, is that it's a major time sink. Haven't taken the plunge yet.
  • Eddy likes this

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

When I was about 10, or 11, we went to Blockbuster. I remember seeing the box for Rayman 2 for N64, and it looked really neat. I had never heard of it before, but once I saw that green cartridge, I just knew it had to be good.

The game was hard at first, and it required an expansion pack. Luckily, we had just got either Majora's Mask, or DK64, so we owned one already. I pretty much fell in love with the game, and series, and have played and finished every (five) main, canon, non spin-off game. The original is probably my least favorite, bit it's still a solid game.
  • Neppy and Krieger like this

#6 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

I haven't played Rayman 2 yet. I played the original on PSX, but couldn't get further then the area after the instrumental area. I've also played Origins, and Legends. I have yet to beat any... Very enjoyable series though.
  • Anthus likes this

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

Technically, this could be the case for just about any game/series you get into, if you're not the kind of person who watches streams or Let's Plays of everything first. :P

That's pretty much true of me. Obviously not sequels to a series I'm already invested in, but a series I haven't gotten into yet, it's mostly true. Most I'll know is maybe a couple minor story events, characters, quirks, maybe a piece of music or two. Heck, all I knew about Tower of Heaven was that it had amazing music that made me want to play the game in the first place.

Heck, even some games I look stuff up about ahead of time still manage to surprise me in many ways.

I could think of a couple of examples, but let's go with Xenoblade. All I knew about it were tidbits from Smash, but it sounded interesting enough: A massive RPG taking place on the body of a large, immobile titan, with an organic vs. mechanical theme? Hell, I'm sold. And it had many, many surprises as well. Definitely worth my time and investment.

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

I haven't played Rayman 2 yet. I played the original on PSX, but couldn't get further then the area after the instrumental area. I've also played Origins, and Legends. I have yet to beat any... Very enjoyable series though.

Yeah, Picture City is where Rayman 1 really gets into bullshit territory. It is a surprisingly hard game, and even harder to 100%. Rayman 2 is a lot more reasonable with its challenge/ rewards.

Technically, this could be the case for just about any game/series you get into, if you're not the kind of person who watches streams or Let's Plays of everything first. :P

That's pretty much true of me. Obviously not sequels to a series I'm already invested in, but a series I haven't gotten into yet, it's mostly true. Most I'll know is maybe a couple minor story events, characters, quirks, maybe a piece of music or two. Heck, all I knew about Tower of Heaven was that it had amazing music that made me want to play the game in the first place.

This is also how I am too. It takes a lot, especially nowadays, for me to try something completely new, blind. I usually want to know a little about something before I buy/ download it.

#9 Krieger

Krieger

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

This was actually the case for Zelda. Me and my dad rented Ocarina of Time from blockbuster, and we didn't know anything about how the game was, my dad just heard it being praised in some tv show, so he got it. And not knowing anything about it really made for a big part of the experience since we really didn't know how Zelda was played and learning each little thing you could do like lighting the sticks on fire to burn webs was always exciting.

Beyond that most of the games or franchises we tried back then fall into this as well, since the access to information was much more limited. Nowadays it's pretty much impossible I try something without looking into it first.

• Anthus and Cukeman like this

#10 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

Final Fantasy.  I didn't get into the series until I played FF6 at a friends house.  He ended up letting me borrow it and I beat it.  After giving it back, I discovered that there were loads of other Final Fantasies.  I played and beat FF1-10 and 12, but 13 made me lose a lot of interest.

• Magi_Hero likes this

#11 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:15 PM

This was me with Zelda. I literally got it just because the label was blue. I was stuck at the first block puzzle in the wing dungeon for 2 years. (Eppy would be proud)

• Krieger likes this

#12 Golden Guardian

Golden Guardian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

I've got a few answers to this one:

1. Pokemon - I've said it before, Pokemon Yellow was my first game. My brother had bought it for me and all I knew of Pokemon before that was the brief times I saw him play Sapphire. Pikachu was a pretty good hook into the series, and I'm still here to play it. 

2. Phoenix Wright - A friend of mine had me play the first chapter of the first game one time he was visiting. Since then, I've beaten the trilogy twice before he finished it once, and beaten Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies as well. Much like Pikachu, that fantastic Objection music was a great hook into the series. 

3. Chrono Trigger and The World Ends With You - I'll toss these in the same number because I both got them and reacted to them in much the same way. I got both from the same friend that showed me Phoenix Wright and nigh instantly loved both. I feel like I should talk about a game on here that I HAVEN'T liked, but I have yet to think of one.

4. Undertale - This one was completely on my own. No one let me play their copy or gave it to me, I bought it myself with basically no knowledge about it. What I did know is that none of my friends wanted anything to do with it (although none of said friends have played it at all) so I figured I would have to try it on my own. Again, loved it, one of my favorite games even if I have no intention of ever playing it again. 

As far as other major games I play now, I watched my brother play a lot of Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, Halo, etc before I ever got near the games, so I knew a significant amount about them. I'm sure there are more games I dove into with no knowledge of beforehand, but I can't remember them right now. Knowing nothing about games before getting into them has lead to many of my all-time favorite games though, so I don't regret it. I'm just waiting for the day that I do.

#13 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

It feels like this topic would be better suited for the reverse. Like for me I grew up with an NES and an SNES so I basically just played whatever games my parents had with no knowledge about what they were beforehand (This includes Super Mario Bros., Kirby's Adventure, Adventure Island, etc.). I got into Pokemon during its craze back in 1999-2000 iirc with no real knowledge about it as well.

For the opposite, games I did get with prior knowledge and that weren't sequels to other game series I have already played were LoZ: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime and EO Untold. Hyrule Warriors arguably falls into this too, but i'm not sure whether it counts as a sequel of sorts since all the characters are Zelda based but the gameplay differs so much.

#14 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:08 AM

Believe it or not, Final Fantasy was like that for me. When I first played it, I knew absolutely nothing about the series. I just tried the first game and wanted to see how it was, and I was mildly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

#15 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

I probably wouldn't say stuff like Super Mario, Mega Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, or Legend of Zelda, mainly because I watched the cartoons and watched my older siblings play all of those games.  Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Donkey Kong Country/64, Secret of Mana, and Pokemon Blue are the biggest things that I can think of.  I gravitate toward RPGs, apparently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users