Romancing SaGa 2

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

They finally released this gem worldwide on mobile platforms and soon Vita.

Has anyone gotten into this yet? I'm a huge fan of the SaGa series and this is the only one I haven't played yet since the lack of proper translation.

May 26 we finally got it.

Nexas, help!

EDIT from Eins: So, SE put pretty much their heart and soul into this website and this trailer.

• Haylee likes this

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

I'm hoping this would be the start of a pattern of localizing games we never got localized, but were well received.  Romancing Saga 3, some other games that have been fantranslated like Dragon Quest 3 and 6 SNES, but never officially localized, etc.

• LikeLike on fire likes this

#3 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

I actually own a SFC cart of this.(Along with Seiken Densetsu 2/3, and FE 3/4) It'd be cool if we got a worldwide rerelease of Seiken Densetsu 3. Maybe have it be something like with Monster World 4?

Edited by Fiyaball, 17 June 2016 - 12:15 PM.

#4 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

I also have an SFC cart of this game, as well as the first and third ones.  The music in this game is what made me enjoy it so much.  

Edited by thepsynergist, 17 June 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#5 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

Nexas, help!

This game is the sole reason I just bought a Vita for my birthday. I started playing SaGa Frontier to get hyped for the game.

I've played a bit of the incomplete fantranslation of RS2, and got pretty far, with a guide to give me an idea what everyone's saying. It worked pretty nicely, but being able to read the actual dialogue is going to be nice. I really hope this remaster gets more attention, so we can get a remaster of RS3, which is my favorite SaGa game.

Also, Tim, mind if I update your post with the website and trailer? SE put so much clear love and effort into both of these and should be acknowledged.

• Magi_Hero likes this

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

I just google imaged it.  Did they seriously upgrade the tile graphics, but copy and paste the SNES character graphics?  That's pretty shitty and clashy, why not hi-res the sprites too?  Lol.

But other than that I hadn't played this one or the first one at all.  I heard these two are just as hard, if not harder than 3 with the level scaling.

#7 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:48 PM

I just google imaged it.  Did they seriously upgrade the tile graphics, but copy and paste the SNES character graphics?  That's pretty shitty and clashy, why not hi-res the sprites too?  Lol.

But other than that I hadn't played this one or the first one at all.  I heard these two are just as hard, if not harder than 3 with the level scaling.

I personally like the style. The environments look beautiful, and I generally prefer SNES sprites over high res ones, with the obvious exception of Final Fantasy 4's remastered sprites.

Yeah, my general complaint with the series is how the level scaling can be just a little unforgiving at times, if you're not willing to adapt to the game's playstyle. Luckily, all 3 Romancing SaGa games allow you to save any time, so even though the game can be just a little save scummy, it makes the game all the more possible.

Something I love about the series is just the variety of characters in it. Aside from 4 of the main characters being settlers in RS3, the variety in that game was top notch, and from what I've played of Romancing SaGa 2, the variety is interesting, and the way the game handles time skips seems interesting too.

• Shane likes this

#8 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

If they remake RS3, I might squee.

Also, Tim, mind if I update your post with the website and trailer? SE put so much clear love and effort into both of these and should be acknowledged.

Go ahead.
  • Haylee likes this

#9 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:00 AM

I personally like the style. The environments look beautiful, and I generally prefer SNES sprites over high res ones, with the obvious exception of Final Fantasy 4's remastered sprites.

It just feels half assed to me.  Like, half the battle (remastering the tile graphics), and then they just called it a day.  So you got these really nice looking, detailed tiles, and flat looking, x2 pixel scaled characters in comparison.  It's one hell of a clash; they should've either done a full remaster or just left the original graphics in entirely, instead of half and half. 

But at least we can hope the gameplay is a bit more polished.  Usually the engine isn't directly copy pasted, but upgraded in some way, like running at 60 FPS or something.

#10 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:16 AM

It just feels half assed to me.  Like, half the battle (remastering the tile graphics), and then they just called it a day.  So you got these really nice looking, detailed tiles, and flat looking, x2 pixel scaled characters in comparison.  It's one hell of a clash; they should've either done a full remaster or just left the original graphics in entirely, instead of half and half. 

But at least we can hope the gameplay is a bit more polished.  Usually the engine isn't directly copy pasted, but upgraded in some way, like running at 60 FPS or something.

I can see why you feel that way. At the very least, it's pretty clear SE put their heart and soul into just how nicely designed the website is, as well as how the trailer accurately mimics the game's intro, and manages to grab the attention of both newcomers and people who have been waiting for this game to get an official translation. I feel like those two factors make the clashing feel more like a stylistic choice rather than them just half-assing it, at least to me.

I imagine some of it will be, though I've seen some videos of it, and it seems like when it says "faithful" recreation, something kinda fun that I noticed is that the player did a glitch to make someone who's not able to be the emperor become the emperor, and if I recall, the same bug is in the original game as well. That being said, I imagine the developers probably recreated that glitch simply because well, if you can have more potential emperors, then logically that would actually increase the game's replayability, so I can see why the glitch would remain intact.

• Koh likes this

#11 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

Let's just be happy it doesn't look like the FF remakes on mobile and steam.

Ug Lee. (I want to watch Salute Your Shorts now.)
  • Koh and Haylee like this

#12 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:00 AM

Let's just be happy it doesn't look like the FF remakes on mobile and steam.

Ug Lee. (I want to watch Salute Your Shorts now.)

FF5 and FF6?  To be fair, the monster sprites in those look good.  And maybe the tiles.  But that's about it.  I don't understand how they could make FF1, FF2 and FF4 PSP look so beautiful, and then make FF5 and FF6 look like...THAT.

#13 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:00 AM

I definitely recruited a tanky character named Walrus. ;_;

I notice a lot of the names are themed as well. I've had the chance so far to extend Avalon by three regions.
  • Haylee likes this

#14 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:06 AM

Western Vita release doesn't have a release date. I'm gonna be so disappointed in SE if it gets canned, it's going to be my only effective way of playing the game. :<

#15 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

I hope they get on that. I never planned on getting a Vita so I guess buying the Android version worked for me. (Should've seen a steam release SE. Dafuq!)

I'm 13:24 into the game now... I had to purposely die to reform my group recently due to issues I felt of having two squishies in the group. I've now got 5 regions in control and I'm working on a few sidequests ATM. There are too many one-shotting skills from monsters. :>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users