Photo

May I have some Layer help please? Thank you.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LikeLike888

LikeLike888

Spicy food lover!!

• Members

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:13 AM

I am using Zelda Classic 2.50.3

#1: How do I get tiles to be only on Layer 3 for Map 1 Screen 12?

#2: How do I get tiles to be only on Layer 5 for Map 1 Screen 12?

#3: If I have Layer 3 and Layer 5 enabled how do I make it to where Link can still be above

both Layer 5 and also Layer 3?

#4: How do I get Layer 3 tiles to be drawn on Layer 0 tiles without erasing Layer 0 tiles?

#5: How do I get Layer 5 tiles to be drawn on Layer 0 tiles without erasing Layer 0 tiles?

#6: How do I get Layer 2 tiles to be drawn on Layer 0 tiles without getting Layer 0 tiles deleted?

#7: How do I get Layer 1 tiles to be drawn on Layer 0 tiles without getting Layer 0 tiles deleted?

#8: How do I get Layer 2 tiles to be drawn on Layer 1 tiles without getting Layer 1 tiles deleted?

Thank you all in advance - Jason

#2 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

Layers can be a bit tricky at first but once you get them figured out can let you build amazing screens. However they are a bit to complex for me to do this on a phone. If no one has replied by the time I get home I will put together a tutorial with some screen shots.

#3 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

May I personally recommend checking out TeamUDF's layers video? He did a side episode to his zquest tutorial series about using layers.

First and foremost, I believe only layers 0, 1 and 2 can be underneath Link. 3, 4, 5 and 6 are above Link.

To set up layers, you want to go to Screen > Layers, or press F12. Here you can choose which screen each layer is on.

For example, if you want layer 3 on map 1, screen 12, you simple put 1 in the first box under layer 3, and 12 in the second.

That's true for every layer.

Keep in mind though, that when you are putting in the map number, it refers to the map number in the bottom left hand corner, NOT the DMap.

As for tiles, when you put tiles on a screen, they stay on that layer indefinitely. As soon as you put the tile down, the only way to remove it is to replace it with another tile. It will however also be hidden if you place a tile on top of it on another layer.

When going on layers 1 and higher, you can have the lower layer still visible, but not completely. To keep a lower layer visible, the tile needs to have a transparent background.

For me, transparent backgrounds show as pink... sometimes other colors.

Experiment with the tiles to figure out what tiles have transparent backgrounds. As you get to learn them, it becomes much easier to know what tiles have transparent backgrounds and which don't.

I recommend working with the classic tileset for starters, at least to understand the basics if you are working with layers.

If this is all confusing still, look up that TeamUDF video on layers. It helped me a lot when I started.

#4 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

Layers -3 and -2 also draw under Link and layer 0. They are quite handy for placing undercombos.

While layers 3 and above draw over Link and layers 2 and below. There is an exception. If an NPC or Link are above a Z threshold they are drawn over layers 4 and below but under layers 5, 6 and 7.

Layer order goes like this: -3, -2, 0, 1, 2, NPC/Link, 3, 4, Z threshold, 5, 6, subscreens, 7

Edited by cavthena, 18 April 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

Layers -3 and -2 also draw under Link and layer 0. They are quite handy for placing undercombos.

There are negative layers? Is it only in 2.50.3 or did they become things sooner?
  • strike likes this

#6 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

I've used them since I started my quest so 2.5.0 at least.

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:18 PM

There are negative layers? Is it only in 2.50.3 or did they become things sooner?

You have to set negative layers on a screen by screen basis. Under screen data, on the first tab are boxes for layer 2 is background and layer 3 is background. It should be noted that sometimes whenever they're used; they don't always show up the way you'd expect in the game.

Additionally, anything drawn via script (on layer 2 at least, untested on other layers) will actually be drawn behind layer 2 on the screen if this flag is checked. I'm not entirely sure how useful they are, but they do exist.

Edited by ywkls, 18 April 2017 - 01:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users