Difficulty settings

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OmegaX

OmegaX

Leader of Omega GamingHunters101

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

I'm requesting difficulty settings for one of my quest I'm making, i plan on having three different modes Easy, Normal and Hero Mode, Easy multiplies the damage taken by .5, Normal multiplies it by 1, and Hero mode is double the damage.

#2 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

Do you already use the Peril Ring? If not you could set Maximum-Hearts to above what you can gain, double the damage your enemies deal and give Link for easy/normal mode a peril Ring with a Damage Divisor of 4/2.

#3 OmegaX

OmegaX

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

No i don't use a peril ring, i was hoping for someone to create a global script that can change enemy damage base on what difficulty you choose, if not maybe i can consider using your idea

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

Naru's method will work if you are not familiar with scripting. Here's some questions you should ask yourself before continuing:

• Do you plan on only having one global script, for this only?
  • Do you know how to combine multiple global scripts if you wanted more in the future?
  • Are you familiar with setting up pre-made scripts in a quest file?
  • Do you know how to use the item editor pretty well?

You would also, more than likely need to script a dialogue for picking said difficulty as well.

#5 OmegaX

OmegaX

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

No, I have two other global scripts. No I don't know how to combine global scripts. Yes I'm familiar with the setting up pre made scripts. I know how to use a item editor

#6 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

What I like about this idea: you could use these extra items for additional things. You could use string-codes to check if and which peril-ring the player has and depending on this give other items or upgrades. If you have an extra-dungeon, end-game-content, you could disable the ring in there to give a easy/normal-mode player the challenge without reducing the difficulty. Or you could use tile modifications to give different link sprites, for example make Link weaklooking in easy-mode to mock the player.
  • Anthus likes this

#7 OmegaX

OmegaX

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

I do have a post game dungeon in my quest. The reason Why I want the difficulty settings in a script from is because I planed this: When the player chooses easy mode they will unable to do the bonus dungeon.

#8 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

A easy way to do this without script: have a npc around the dungeon. Through string-codes he could give you a key for the entrance if you don't have a peril-ring but the whole triforce in your equipment. Or a placeholder-item. I think the NPC-script also gives you the option to place a NPC that blocks your path but let's you through. Or, if you go for a NES-quest, you could use a bait instead of a key. I can think off quite a few workaround without using a script especially for difficulty-settings. That doesn't mean though that a script isn't a good idea, maybe it has even a few nice extra options. And you could ask Evan2000, he likes different difficult settings in his quest with lots of extra content at the worst difficulty.

#9 OmegaX

OmegaX

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

To unlock the bonus dungeon in my quest you need to collect a specific amount of an item (In my case: The Goddess Crystal).

#10 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

They are collected through an extra counter with a script? There are quite a lot workarounds possible and some helpful scripts to do so, I would need more details, but I can say for sure that you don't need a script only for this. But than again I don't know much about scripts.

One easy example without extra script. You can add a string in the entry room or in front of the dungeon. Or in a house near the dungeon. Through string-codes you can check if you have no peril-ring and enough Crystals. If you fulfill the requirements you get a key for the dungeon. There are also multiple scripts that work with strings and are a great addition to your quest.

#11 OmegaX

OmegaX

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:56 PM

Are they collected througharrow-10x10.png an extra counter with a script? Nope, To gather the crystals you need to find them in the each dungeon. On Easy mode (If the player chooses it), He\she can't enter the dungeon no matter if they collected the crystals or not.

Edit: ops my bad, yes they are collected througharrow-10x10.png an extra counter with a script. Here's the Script.

//Attach this to the Pickup Slot of the item you need to collect 20 of.

item script Dungeon_Item{
     void run(){
          Game->Counter[CR_SCRIPT1]++;
     }
}

//Use this script on the screen where you need to have 20 of an item for it to trigger the screen secrets.

ffc script Open_Dungeon{
     void run(){
          while(true){
               if(Game->Counter[CR_SCRIPT1] == 20){
                    Screen->State[ST_SECRET] = true;
               }
          Waitframe();
          }
     }
}

Edited by MegaX, 04 February 2017 - 11:06 PM.

#12 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:20 AM

Ohh, you already have the script for that :D. I feel just a little bit dumb now ;)

I think you just can change the script or add another ffc script so that the secrets trigger only depending on an additional factor. Can't help you with that though.

One possibility would be (if you use the peril rings and the item pickup script) to switch the crystals with mystery bags (no-eqipment) that include depinding on your peril ring either only rupees or a crystal. If the crystals are only placed in chests, it might be also possible to leave the string of the item-pickup empty beside the string-code, make the item not hold-up and without pickup-sound, but the item obtained through the string hold up. I don't know if this works like intended though and there should be easier ways.

#13 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

Kind of unrelated, but f you're blocking the post-game dungeon from Easy mode players, you may want to include some sort of warning on the difficulty selection screen that says 'Some content may be blocked if you choose Easy mode." or something like that. That way it will be less of a surprise when they get there and it is blocked to them.

• Avaro likes this

#14 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

I myself have some serious trouble finding out how to do this. So sorry, I can't help you, but I would like to see this script too.

#15 OmegaX

OmegaX

• Members

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

Kind of unrelated, but f you're blocking the post-game dungeon from Easy mode players, you may want to include some sort of warning on the difficulty selection screen that says 'Some content may be blocked if you choose Easy mode." or something like that. That way it will be less of a surprise when they get there and it is blocked to them.

I was planning on doing that now that you bought it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users