EOTM #22 - Theme Discussion: No Limit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

It's time to begin our 22th Enemy of the Month and the 2nd EotM since me and Anthus took over as the new hosts. 

Theme: No Limit
Deadline: Sunday, January 29th 2017

Recently we've abandoned the No Limit Special Theme to allow for more unique special themes. No Limit will now be considered a normal theme much similar to themes such as Fire and Water. Because we started our contest with a special theme, the Holiday Time Theme, Anthus suggested that this month we go with a No Limit theme for January. So just design at your hearts content! 

Please submit your enemy using the EotM dropbox. Also, please read the rules/guidelines for EotM. Make sure you submit your enemy based on the submission template as this will keep things organized and easy for others to read your enemies.

Good luck to everybody who's participating and I'm excited to see another month's worth of fantastic enemies. 

• David likes this

#2 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

So I've been doing some thinking with how these topics are handled and ways they can be improved upon. These are theme discussion topics afterall, so I feel like more can be done to encourage, you know... discussion!

Actual discussion is one thing I can certainly tell these theme discussion topics are certainly lacking. So as the month progresses, instead of usual bump topics to try and get people to submit for new entries, I'm going to lead by example and attempt to make posts that encourage actual discussion!

Currently we have 0 Enemies in the dropbox!

This month's theme is No Limit! It's the first No Limit theme introduced since we made it an official Normal Theme! It is a great theme because it provides great freedom and plenty of choices. But alas, the dilemma of having too many choices leaves people wondering "What do I actually make?"

There are many things you can make! So perhaps I can just throw out a few random ideas from the top of my head and people may actually just go ahead and create:

• A moblin that throws spears instead of arrows!
  • A scripted Gohma boss with extra rustling on the side!
  • Two very different types of enemies that support each other in unique ways!
  • An enemy that would not appear in any other of the normal themes.
  • A joke clearly designed to make fun of Moosh.
  • A completely whacky multi-themed enemy that adopts many of the earth's elements. 
  • etc.

These are just a few examples of enemies I can think off the top of my head that would appear in a No-Limit EotM!

Remember! This contest is not only for those who create the enemies, but for the people who either watch or fight the enemies and place their votes for their favorites! With this in mind, you're all participating in some way or another in our monthly EotM!

I would like to ask everybody in the community:

• What kind of enemies would you like to see in this month's contest?
  • For those who can't script! If you could, what kind of enemy would you submit?
  • Does not being able to script discourage you from submitting an enemy?
  • Do you like the current direction the contest is going with me and Anthus as the new hosts?
  • Did last month's EotM meet or exceed your expectations? Or were you disappointed?
  • What new and interesting themes would you like to see happen in the future of this contest?
  • What themes would you like to see return in the future of this contest?

I am very excited to see what new enemies that I will be enjoying next! Lets make the first entries of 2017 very special to bring this year to an amazing start!

• Anthus and Lucas like this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

I'm using Tilt Controls!

• Contributors

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

Yep, we are really looking forward to this month's turnout. I would say, "the sky is the limit" but that is clearly a lie, as there is No Limit. Except that it must be made in ZC. :P

NJF has come up with some good questions for the community. Hearing back about this contest, and what you enjoy, don't enjoy, like, whatever, is really important to us, and we feel, the contest as a whole. I know I'm a host, but I've only been involved with this project for a little over a month now, so I feel it's fair to answer these questions, if I have an answer, that is.

What kind of enemies would you like to see in this month's contest?
I'm hoping to see a really wide variety of enemies. With a no limit theme, there's really no telling what to expect. That's why, for me, this is one of the more exciting themes. Before hosting this contest, the events that held the most interest for me were the ones with little to no "restriction" in the form a definite theme. 

For those who can't script! If you could, what kind of enemy would you submit?
Something to make fun of Moosh :P

Does not being able to script discourage you from submitting an enemy?
Honestly, it did in the past. This is one case where having a specific theme can be beneficial though. Having a set theme means even if you can't script, if you have a concept, or idea that fits the theme, you still have a shot since everyone will still be held to the same source material. I dunno if that makes as much sense as I thought it did, but yeah. If there's no limit, someone can submit a super elaborate boss enemy that may overshadow the non-scripted entries entirely.

Do you like the current direction the contest is going with me and Anthus as the new hosts?
I thought those guys got banned.

Did last month's EotM meet or exceed your expectations? Or were you disappointed?
I liked it. Admittedly, when it was getting close and there were only two entries, I was feeling a little discouraged, but the turnout ending up being pretty solid. There were a lot of different takes on the theme of Holiday time, and that's a plus. Okay, so there were two snowmen, but they were unique. I think it was interesting too, that two entries both played on the "gift" concept (Moosh and Yloh).

What new and interesting themes would you like to see happen in the future of this contest?
Enemy of the Month: Swimsuit Edition. :naughty: No, but seriously, it might be cool to do an "elemental" theme. I don't mean like, all enemies must be fire/ electric etc, but maybe you can choose from a list of elements, and make an enemy of any element. If this was an event, a good point of discussion would be which enemy would kill another enemy in a Pokemon-like monster battle with elemental weaknesses.

What themes would you like to see return in the future of this contest?
If what I described above happened in the past (I only looked back to EotM 12, recently) then I'd say that.

But we want to hear from you guys too!

• NewJourneysFire likes this

#4 Avataro

Quest maker xD

• Members

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

Yes I like the direction of where you're taking EotM. There's only one thing that's been bugging me: I think the last contest was closed too early. It should have been up for longer. You can have one contest running, while at the same time providing the theme for the next contest.

It's likely I'll have something by the end of the month. I like no-limit themes a lot. Sometimes I just can't think of anything that fits the current theme. I also like Anthus idea of the "elemental" theme.

• Anthus, NewJourneysFire and ywkls like this

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Defender

• Members

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

• What kind of enemies would you like to see in this month's contest?

Randomly spawning, heavily scripted enemies you have to fight in an RPG-style battle! (In all seriousness, I would like to see that and might actually do it someday.)

• Does not being able to script discourage you from submitting an enemy?

It did, when I didn't know how to script. The fact that every enemy I've submitted has been scripted should say something.

• Do you like the current direction the contest is going with me and Anthus as the new hosts?

So far, so good. Maybe next month, switch up who makes the video? Just an idea, for variety.

• Did last month's EotM meet or exceed your expectations? Or were you disappointed?

The enemies were good, but it seemed as though nobody got involved during the time whenever the theme was running. I'm not sure if that was because they couldn't think of anything to fit the theme, or what. As Avataro said, I expected the contest to run until the next one started (not the theme discussion, but the due date for that).

• What new and interesting themes would you like to see happen in the future of this contest?

Darkness, or Time. One thing I've felt would contribute to EOTM in the past is precisely this, suggestions from the community on possible future themes.

I have a few ideas for things I may submit this month (along with a few scripted enemies I made for people that I might use) so I'm probably going to participate.

#6 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:00 PM

I wouldn't mind switching up who records for variety if that's what is most popular. I'll have a discussion with Anthus about it. 

Also, I'm sorry about closing the contest so quickly, I didn't think there was a reason to keep it open much longer and I did give a people a few days notice before I closed it down. Also I didn't want to have too many topics pinned at the same time. However, next month we'll keep it open for longer. 

#7 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

So me and Anthus had a small talk about recording, and I believe we both agree just for the time being that I handle the recording stuff. He can give his reasons here if he like, but for now the recording will continue to be exclusively done by me. 

But for now, I believe a bigger priority is getting entries, currently we still have 0 entries to this month's contest. So I'd like to take this opportunity to ask people. How many of you are submitting or at least considering? Let us know by posting here. Discuss your thoughts about this month's theme and what types of enemies you would like to see as well. 

#8 Anthus

Anthus

I'm using Tilt Controls!

• Contributors

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

I'm open to recording in the future, but I have to learn how to edit videos a lot better. :P

I'm also going on vacation this month, from the 20th to the 28th, so I more than likely wouldn't be able to do it this month anyway.

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Defender

• Members

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

But for now, I believe a bigger priority is getting entries, currently we still have 0 entries to this month's contest. So I'd like to take this opportunity to ask people. How many of you are submitting or at least considering? Let us know by posting here. Discuss your thoughts about this month's theme and what types of enemies you would like to see as well. 

I'm definitely considering entering. I've got two enemies that are mostly done which I can use, but I'm not submitting them until I get them set up properly in a test quest of my own creation. (They were created by request for someone else, so I'd rather not use their test quest for this purpose.)

Also, don't discount the "submit things at the last second" tendency that a lot of people have for this sort of thing. You've got about 2 and half weeks yet before the deadline. Having zero entries at this point is sadly commonplace.

I'll try to see if I can get the two enemies that I have in mind ready by the weekend.

#10 Anthus

Anthus

I'm using Tilt Controls!

• Contributors

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

Also, don't discount the "submit things at the last second" tendency that a lot of people have for this sort of thing. You've got about 2 and half weeks yet before the deadline. Having zero entries at this point is sadly commonplace.

This. This is true. It happened almost every time with DotM, and one look at the SotW announcement thread will reveal that this is the norm. :P Looking forward to your entry(s), though. :)

• ywkls likes this

#11 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:47 PM

Oh this is something I'm well aware of. My bigger goal here is to try and encourage more discussion in these "discussion topics" so there are times you'll see posts that does include these reminders with some thoughts that can probably encourage those who wouldn't normally speak up to have maybe a few things to talk about. 

#12 ywkls

ywkls

Defender

• Members

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

Alright. I submitted one of the enemies that I had in mind. The other seems to have developed strange and crippling bugs that I'm not sure that I can solve by the due date so I'm probably going to try something else instead.

The original idea for the enemy I submitted was suggested by Zaxarone.

• NewJourneysFire likes this

#13 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

Alright. I submitted one of the enemies that I had in mind. The other seems to have developed strange and crippling bugs that I'm not sure that I can solve by the due date so I'm probably going to try something else instead.

The original idea for the enemy I submitted was suggested by Zaxarone.

Thanks for participating, as I post this now we currently have 2 submissions.

• Anthus and ywkls like this

#14 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

Who's excited to watch me get entertained? Or inspired? Or rustled even? Depending on the nature of the enemies this month who can tell what my reactions will be?

With only a single week left to the deadline, the hype is ever increasing.

Currently we have 2 submissions for EotM! Get your submissions ready guys and lets see where this journey takes us. 

• Anthus likes this

#15 ywkls

ywkls

Defender

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

I've got another potential submission to add to the mix, but I'd rather wait until we're closer to the due date to do so. Why? Mostly because it's an older boss which although not publicly available, has been seen in a quest I've released.

Plus, I'd rather wait and see whether any other participants decide to jump in. No Limit months usually garner a higher level of input that others and the only reason I think this one hasn't is because people were distracted by things like the release of two new heavily scripted quests, the end of the year (and related festivities) and the two-week random theme contest.

Now that those are mostly out of the way, maybe someone else will decide to chip in.

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users