Photo

Screenshot of the Week 26

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Which shot? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Which shot?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:39 AM

Before I begin, I'll say that most of the SoTW's of the past have had just 3 or 4 submissions. On rare occasions, there were 5. This is the very first one I can think of that's had 9 shots.

And now... this week's entries...

Wild Bill:

user posted image

"Link stares across the way, wondering how he could get to the treasure chest... but little does he know... that's not water... it's Leever piss!"

Kratheous:

user posted image

"A pic of the Level 1 entrance."

Nick:

user posted image

"Looks like Link is about to get hit!"

King Cool Link:

user posted image

"From the Link Quest Update, Link is hiding from the monsters."

LinktheMaster:

user posted image

"And that's only the first dungeon. icon_lol.gif"

Ielen:

user posted image

"Just another Overworld screenshot."

Darklink813:

user posted image

Mr. Z:

user posted image

"It's still peacefull in Kakariko Village, but since this is a Zelda game it will soon change."

Blake:

user posted image

"Bass enters the Circus"

--------------

And that's it. Make sure to get those shots for next week ready soon... as there's one less day for actual submission. It'll be announced when the winner is announced as to who will handle next week. Voting ends Saturday morning.

The only disadvantage to having this many shots is the image limit. If you can't see a shot, right click it and click refresh/load/whatever your browser uses for that.

#2 Blake

Blake

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:38 AM

These are all good pictures, but I think that most of those use that pure tileset. I think mine is the best because it is new tiles that also look good.

#3 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE(Blake @ Jun 11 2003, 10:38 AM)
These are all good pictures, but I think that most of those use that pure tileset. I think mine is the best because it is new tiles that also look good.

Really shouldn't vote for yourself. icon_sweat.gif

And... there's only about 4 of those shots using Pure Tileset. icon_odd.gif

Anyway... I'm going to go with WB's shot... since I lub the blue and the other good one, Mr. Z's, looks like the typical village from several quests I've seen.

#4 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:23 AM

Ielen's is the best. I'm not basing this on anything really - I just like it most. It looks "professional."

#5 Ielen

Ielen

Adept

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:56 AM

Wow, I'm shocked icon_smile.gif
Thanks UBP.
Just wanted to say all the screenshots look excellent & everyone has put in alot of effort to come up with all these shots icon_smile.gif

#6 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:55 PM

Presenting... Happyman's commentary (in italics)!

QUOTE(Nick @ Jun 11 2003, 08:39 AM)
Before I begin, I'll say that most of the SoTW's of the past have had just 3 or 4 submissions. On rare occasions, there were 5. This is the very first one I can think of that's had 9 shots.

We've had 9 before; week 8 or 9 I believe.

And now... this week's entries...

Wild Bill:

http://wildbill.pure...FP/CFPJune2.png

"Link stares across the way, wondering how he could get to the treasure chest... but little does he know... that's not water... it's Leever piss!"

LMBO! I like the way the screen is set up; how you can see the stairs and the chest but can't get to it. Only thing is the water's kinda dull, but it's hard to make everything not dull on every screen. icon_razz.gif

Kratheous:

http://nick.purezc.c...evel1_krath.gif

"A pic of the Level 1 entrance."

Your first quest? I'm impressed. It's a well set up screen, though it could use a bit more variation. Try different tree types if you think it will fit in, and use different grass tiles.

Nick:

http://nick.purezc.c...meless_new2.gif

"Looks like Link is about to get hit!"

As always, awesome screen by Nick (why the forests all the time icon_lol.gif). But I have one concern; the trees under the translucency have only one shade... see if you can find away to "work around" that.

King Cool Link:

http://nick.purezc.c.../26/LQSSoTW.gif

"From the Link Quest Update, Link is hiding from the monsters."

OK I guess. It could use more variation (especially on the ground), but that's not really possible with classic.
Oh yeah, for anyone who noticed the enemies are a tad darker than usual classic, that's because he's using my tileset I lent him (which had darker palettes). icon_biggrin.gif

LinktheMaster:

http://nick.purezc.c...26/zelda006.gif

"And that's only the first dungeon. icon_lol.gif"

I'm interested in the solution to this (as I already told you in PM). The ONLY block that can possibly reach that switch is the down block four spaces above. You have to move two blocks out of the way to make so you can push down. You can move the one pointing left, but you can't get the one pointing up out of the way, so no block can reach the switch. Either there's some sort of trick that I can't see until I play or this isn't possible.
As for the screenshot, the floors and walls don't go together very well. You would score points for the puzzle if I could work out the solution.

Ielen:

http://nick.purezc.c.../TaoOfLink2.gif

Oh man, this is a close runner up to Nick's screenshot. I love the custom tiles and the use of the bridge. But... you have two bad tiles. On each "vine ladder", look at the top combo. It doesn't completely blend in with the combos on the sides.

Darklink813:

http://nick.purezc.com/sotw/26/y.gif

First of all, the water doesn't cycle well in the lava palettes... second of all, the only thing I like is the lava coming out of the doors. Everything else is sorta... boring.

Mr. Z:

http://nick.purezc.com/sotw/26/8.gif

"It's still peacefull in Kakariko Village, but since this is a Zelda game it will soon change."

Wow, nice screen! I like how well the cliff fits in, your use of NPCs, and how varied your tiles are. Just one complaint: your trees are all the same! icon_razz.gif

Blake:

http://nick.purezc.c...26/ZELDA003.gif

"Bass enters the Circus"

Bonus points for the originality, but there's a lot of room for improvement. First off, try using different shades of white and red for the circus, as it looks awkward right now to me. Second of all, what in the world is wrong with the life bar?? I don't understand how it's possible to be missing hearts in the middle (and what about the X to the right?). Last, try using more shades of orange for Bass (like the circus). It's mostly just palette work.

--------------

And that's it. Make sure to get those shots for next week ready soon... as there's one less day for actual submission. It'll be announced when the winner is announced as to who will handle next week. Voting ends Saturday morning.

The only disadvantage to having this many shots is the image limit. If you can't see a shot, right click it and click refresh/load/whatever your browser uses for that.

OK, I've removed the images from this quote so as not to burden people's browsers even more.

And Nick wins my vote!

#7 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 02:10 PM

I voted for Blake's as part of my protest against regurgitated "pure tileset" screens. I don't even much like Blake's screen as it is, but at least he's trying something.

#8 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 02:42 PM

to Happyman: the water is there for effect that you cannot pass there, its not normal and also the part i, how will link get into the dungeon, makes you woder doesnt it? =)

#9 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:02 PM

Not really. In fact, it just makes me want to make absolutely sure that I never play your quest, judging by that monstrosity of a screenshot.

#10 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:42 PM

I knew my vote wouldn't win. Well, I'm sending something in next week too. And HappyMan, my puzzle ISN'T impossible. If you just can't live without knowing how to beat it, PM me. icon_shrug.gif
And I never realized that those tiles don't really match up with the wall.
I shrug again. icon_shrug.gif
But, there are several good shots up there.
I voted for Ielen's

#11 Ielen

Ielen

Adept

• Members

Posted 12 June 2003 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE(Happyman @ Jun 12 2003, 01:55 AM)
Ielen:

http://nick.purezc.c.../TaoOfLink2.gif

Oh man, this is a close runner up to Nick's screenshot. I love the custom tiles and the use of the bridge. But... you have two bad tiles. On each "vine ladder", look at the top combo. It doesn't completely blend in with the combos on the sides.

Happyman, I finally understood what you mean by the bad top combo. I reexamined the vines & finally found the one that matches with the top. So now the vines look better.

Edited by Ielen, 12 June 2003 - 07:09 AM.

#12 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 14 June 2003 - 09:54 AM

Today is Saturday, so I declare Ielen the winner (most votes). icon_smile.gif

Due to the fact Praethus doesn't seem to be back yet, submissions will go to me once again.

Submissions will run from now until Monday evening (I'm trying to get things back onto regular schedule). If there are not enough submissions, it'll be extended to Tuesday.

#13 blckscab

blckscab

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 14 June 2003 - 12:39 PM

I know that it is too late, but I would of veted for Mr Z icon_sorry.gif

#14 FlameArrowStar

FlameArrowStar

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 14 June 2003 - 01:41 PM

I would have voted for LTM.

#15 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 15 June 2003 - 03:43 AM

Nick, if you would be so kind as to go ahead and run the next SOTW, it would be much appreciated. That will give me time to get caught up and such. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users