Photo

Screenshot of the Week 585

Lüt Joelmacool Moosh

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 585 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:13 PM

Joelmacool

Joelmacool.png

The trees are grey-ish because of ash. :)

Moosh

Moosh.png

Did someone call for filler screenshot?

Lüt

Lut.png

Apparently growing bushes is the Mad Axeman's way of making up for chopping down trees.

• Drewby3 and Joelmacool like this

#2 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:05 AM

Voted for Joelmacool. Another fine example of classic tileset usage.

I was almost considering a vote for Lut, but I believe the biggest drawback is how the palette makes the SD3 grass look discolored.

• Joelmacool, vaualbus and Lüt like this

#3 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:34 AM

Been a while since I last voted, man these are great submissions! Well this week I voted for Lut. He really showed a great screen with the tileset!

• Lüt likes this

#4 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:39 AM

I don't know what it is, but Lut's 'shot is one of the most natural looking screens I've ever seen in Zelda Classic. Like, it looks like it could exist here on Earth. Very pretty, and cozy-feeling. I voted here. 

• Lüt likes this

#5 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

Gigi & Merri Superstar Saga

• Members

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:58 AM

Joel--nice work on this... reminds me of an eldin volcano from the NES era! very well done details with the lava falls and whatnot.

Moosh--it's nice but i think its a lil plain. feels a little unnaturally still if ya catch mt drift.

Lut-- i feel like the tile set is nice but it also feels like its a bit too busy. there is a good flow it just feels a little noisy.

My vote went to Joelmacool. Lut is a close second!

• Joelmacool and Lüt like this

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:38 AM

Joelmacool - Not bad at all. I really like the effect of making trees all grey because of ash, that's a very neat touch. The screen itself is nicely made and definitely fits a volcanic setting. Nice job.

Moosh - Pretty nice shot. I like the tiles you used here which has to make me ask, what tileset is this? I do feel some parts of the ground could use a little more detail since it seems kinda empty in some places, but good job anyway.

Lut - I really like the idea of this shot, and it looks really cool too. Though I'm not very sold on the palette here. Something about the grass colours just doesn't look right to me, though everything else is fine.

I voted for Joel this week with either Moosh or Lut in close second.

• Joelmacool and Lüt like this

#7 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:00 AM

I actually thought "nice, those trees look ash-covered" before I even read Joel's caption. I also like your way of adding extra detail using corner tiles, like the crevices in the rocks and stuff, I've seen you do that a lot and it always looks really good.

Oh and uh, Moosh you're giving me a flashback to like 25 years ago, how are you doing that? Those tiles look so familiar.

the biggest drawback is how the palette makes the SD3 grass look discolored.

So that's where the grass is from.

Well, to both your points...

Though I'm not very sold on the palette here. Something about the grass colours just doesn't look right to me, though everything else is fine.

...not that I disagree, but I didn't actually make any of these palettes.

Yeah, the set comes with a massive load of palettes, but a lot of them are washed out - I mean, at least half of them remind me of looking at a late '90s laptop screen, so those were easy to eliminate. Other options I eliminated due to bad contrast - their "shadows" were brighter than some of the darker colors, and it was pretty awkward seeing deep-blue or green tree leaves with shadows twice as bright beneath them. Still others didn't have good color variety at all, and anything besides green trees/bushes looked awkward or indistinct, so goodbye garden variety. Some had saturation boosted to 150%. Then there was that other one that was generally OK... except for the purple water.

So I ended up here with the same thought: everything else looks fine - the grass is the only casualty. And honestly, after looking at it for a day or two, I got used to it.

It was just a test anyway. I only cracked DoR open for the first time about 2 weeks ago to see how it was organized, then I got carried away and ended up with this. Result was nice though. You know, I used to see Tree's shots and maps, and think I'd never touch that league, then MrPow's last 2 wins made me consider attempting a DoR screen, so this...

I don't know what it is, but Lut's 'shot is one of the most natural looking screens I've ever seen in Zelda Classic. Like, it looks like it could exist here on Earth. Very pretty, and cozy-feeling. I voted here.

...is the best comment I could hope for. Thanks :)
  • Eddy likes this

#8 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:16 AM

...not that I disagree, but I didn't actually make any of these palettes.

Yeah, I knew that you didn't make the palette, I've seen this used in other places before :P I do think a different palette might have suited the screen more though, but that's up to you (and I'm no palette expert so I dunno what would be good to begin with lol)

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:33 PM

Oh and uh, Moosh you're giving me a flashback to like 25 years ago, how are you doing that? Those tiles look so familiar.
So that's where the grass is from.

The trees, grass, and water are from Ys. The mountains are my own. I'm really fond of this series, so I started assembling a tileset based on the NES ports, since NES is easiest to work with. Chances are it's just another boredom killer that'll never be finished, but who knows.

• Evan20000 likes this

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:45 PM

J- Sure, blame it on the Pokemon trainer.

I like the layout, but there's a lot of style clash with the graphics.

M-Zelda golf? It's time to hit the links.

L-The color on those peahats makes them look like flying bomb flowers, that would make a cool enemy!

#11 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

I like the layout, but there's a lot of style clash with the graphics.

Blame the style clash on the pokemon trainer Moosh :P It's his tileset.

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:06 PM

Blame the style clash on the pokemon trainer Moosh :P It's his tileset.

And yet people keep using it for some reason. And the style clash jimmies keep getting rustled anew. It's great. :D

Moosh--it's nice but i think its a lil plain. feels a little unnaturally still if ya catch mt drift.

Your comments about it feeling unnaturally still are duly noted. I think the problem is that I didn't post the screen in an animated gif format. I've amended this and also completely redesigned everything about the screen. Not so still when everything's moving about is it!? How do you like me now!? YOU STILL GONNA CALL MY SCREENSHOT UNNATURALLY STILL!?!?! :P

• Shane, Avaro, Joelmacool and 2 others like this

#13 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

Moosh gets my vote for how atmospheric it looks. You guys are stepping it up with your screens I'm impressed yo. Nobody really had any flaws here, I basically chose my vote for Moosh because it looked the most atmospheric to me.

• Zaxarone likes this

#14 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

Lut all the way for me!

#15 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

Your comments about it feeling unnaturally still are duly noted. I think the problem is that I didn't post the screen in an animated gif format. I've amended this and also completely redesigned everything about the screen. Not so still when everything's moving about is it!? How do you like me now!? YOU STILL GONNA CALL MY SCREENSHOT UNNATURALLY STILL!?!?! :P

Aww Ysssss...

Anyways voted Lut because I totally don't have anything againstYs and chaos tileset, noooo...  :whistle:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lüt, Joelmacool, Moosh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users