What happened to Metroid, anyways?!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

With all the love Zelda is getting, I can't help but wonder what's happened to our beloved space bounty hunter and the Metroid series at large. The last game we got was federation force, and well, we remember how that went.

Has anyone heard about any future games in the series? Or any rumors? It's sad, but I think this series is getting the pre-Awakening fire emblem treatment. :/
  • Jared likes this

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

The last thing I've heard on the series' future was this:

http://nintendoevery...and-3d-metroid/

... it does not feel like it was that long ago.

• Matthew likes this

#3 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

Strictly as far as I'm concerned: after Super Metroid, the 3D games just didn't do it for me, and the 2D games seemed like games that kind of wanted to be like Super Metroid but were lazy and couldn't really be bothered. It feels as though Nintendo tried harder with the Mario and Zelda series, but treated the Metroid series with less care. I can understand a series dwindling in popularity when the last (...) games were nothing special. It's a shame because it has so much potential.

• Matthew likes this

#4 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

I wish they'd "New Super Mario Bros" up Super Metroid.  I saw an amazing concept art for it years ago, and I wished there was a game like it.

Spoiler

I guess for now, I can enjoy bSNES's MSU-1 support of the game and have it have a fully orchestrated soundtrack.

• Orithan and Matthew like this

#5 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

A mediocre spin-off was released last year and i think that was only official metroid related thing that was released. To make matters worse, it was the 30th anniversary of Metroid and we got a single game.

It seems after the disaster of Other M Nintendo just doesn't want to release more Metroid main titles. It looks like it will end up like F-Zero, forgotten.

Edited by Norzan, 07 February 2017 - 07:54 PM.

#6 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

Someone at Nintendo suggested there would be another Metroid game soon. Reggie maybe.

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

E3 would be the best time to announce one, to prove the Switch will keep having games. By E3, Spla2n will either be released or imminently released, leaving the only two known remaining large Nintendo games at that point Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. Surprising us with a new Metroid game announcement would be perfect. As well as other games, I would hope.

• Matthew and Naru like this

#8 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, I've been playing AM2R lately and I realized how much I miss the series. I just hope we get something soon that isn't god awful. :/

#9 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

They should just make a prequel.  I mean, aren't most Metroid games based on the Alien movie franchise anyway?  Why not base a game off of Prometheus?

Hell, let's just get a game about how Samus's parents were killed and how she was raised by the Chozo.

Edited by thepsynergist, 07 February 2017 - 08:13 PM.

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Lest we forget the last time we had a Metroid game with a heavy story focus...

#11 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

That logic could be applied to Zelda games not having vocalized dialogue.  We've gotten a bit better since the 90's when it comes to that sort of thing (Zelda CD-I).

If Nintendo just didn't have Team Ninja work on it, I'm sure it could be done much better.  Keep that sort of thing in-house.  I just wish that Mario wasn't the only game Nintendo keeps making.

Edited by thepsynergist, 07 February 2017 - 08:43 PM.

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:45 PM

... that logic couldn't apply at all, because Breath of the Wild is the first voice-acted Zelda game. No, the CD-i titles do not count.

I'm just saying, I'm wary of them shoving story to the forefront of a Metroid game again.

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

I'm gonna be the odd man out here, and suggest that Metroid Prime: Federation Forces is actually a decent game. But, it shouldn't have been a Metroid game. At least not a "main" one. As far as a real Metroid, the last.. three, 3D outings have been progressively worse. Prime 1 is awesome. 3D Super, basically, minus Kraid and Mother Brain. Metroid Prime 2 had a far more original story, and cooler (less generic by series standards) areas to explore, but all that was undermined by dark Aether, which killed it for me. Not. Fun. At all. Until you're about at the end, then you can finally not get wrecked by the air. Not to mention the tedious battles against regular enemies (The Ing, mostly. Fuck Hunter Ing, die in a fire.), Oh, and can we talk about the beam ammo system? Actually, let's not. :P. Then Metroid Prime 3. Arguably the worst of the Prime trilogy. Too much focus on "characters" and not enough on exploring, and being an actual Metroid game. Game worlds become remarkably small, and linear with this title. A looming feature of the next two games. But, at least we got a green beam in 3D. I wished Prime 1's plasma beam was green. Then Other M. We know. We get it. It's shit. Moving on.

I seriously hope we do get another Metroid, but given how horribly the last two did, Nintendo might be scared cause they might feel like they can't bring anything "new" to it. AM2R was a really good game (sans some odd graphical choices) and Nintendo was foolish for not trying to cash in on it. I'd have bough it. Who knows. Metroid, was, and I suppose still is, one of my favorite series growing up. I'd hate to see it forgotten with its lasting legacy being shitty titles from two gens ago.

• ShadowTiger and Matthew like this

#14 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

I believe at the Switch event someone asked Reggie if there would be a new Metroid game on the Switch, to which he replied something along the lines of "We've heard our fans and read the message boards on this matter". Of course, I'm fairly certain that's word for word what he's been saying about Mother 3 for years, so who knows.

• Anthus likes this

#15 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

Strictly as far as I'm concerned: after Super Metroid, the 3D games just didn't do it for me, and the 2D games seemed like games that kind of wanted to be like Super Metroid but were lazy and couldn't really be bothered. It feels as though Nintendo tried harder with the Mario and Zelda series, but treated the Metroid series with less care. I can understand a series dwindling in popularity when the last (...) games were nothing special. It's a shame because it has so much potential.

This is partially why I find the fanbase insufferable, to be honest.  They kind of want everything to simultaneously be Super Metroid and also not be Super Metroid.  If a new game tried to strongly emulate Super Metroid, I feel like the general reaction would be, "Ugh, it's not good enough to sit next to Super Metroid," and if (or when it has) a new Metroid game tried something different, it would be, "Ugh, why can't they just make it more like Super Metroid?"  The latter is definitely what happened with Fusion, I feel like.  Especially because uh... I really don't feel like Fusion was trying to be Super Metroid.  Like, at all.  If you do think that, we clearly did not play the same game here.  They created something that feels more like a story-driven narrative with genuinely strong suspense and tension around every corner.  That does not sound like the "free-roaming with barely a story somewhere that everyone ignores anyway" Super Metroid.

Anyway... Could you have imagined a Metroid game on Wii U?  Because man if you wanted to put another nail into the coffin a series that does not sell that well in general, why not put it on a console that never did well while you're at it?  Like yeah, a traditional Metroid on 3DS would've been dandy, I will admit and I think that is the move they should have made considering how popular the damn thing is.  But I don't blame them for not wasting resources on a console version in the last 5 years.  I imagine if/when Switch does well, Metroid will make a return, because there's fans wanting it and it appeals stronger in the west due to it being a sci-fi shooter.

• Anthus and Matthew like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users