Play String on Enemy Spawn

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

Basically exactly how it sounds. Script attaches to an enemy, and when the enemy spawns it freezes action and plays the string. This would look like the 3D Zelda style boss intros where it shows the boss's name and title.
  • Jared, Matthew and Naru like this

#2 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:43 AM

I am not too sure but I think I have seen that in ywkls' quest (passage through time).

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:47 AM

Basically exactly how it sounds. Script attaches to an enemy, and when the enemy spawns it freezes action and plays the string. This would look like the 3D Zelda style boss intros where it shows the boss's name and title.

I was told by a few people that this could be done without a script actually:

Write up your string, and then set up your string and guy on the screen with your enemy as normal (make sure the guy is "Empty"). Then make the room type "Door Repair" and set the charge to 0. With this set up, the text will only appear once and won't appear again. Though I believe you need to uncheck "Special Rooms And Guys Are In Caves Only" on the DMap flags of that specific DMap. If you want all action to freeze and the message to disappear as well, you can go to "Rules" -> "Other" and then check "Messages Freeze All Action" and "Messages Disappear"

That should work just fine. You could also apply this with dungeon entrances too.

Can't say that's the quickest method, but it works without scripting.

• Shane likes this

#4 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

The problem with that method however is that the string will play even if the boss is dead. Which won't work for my quest unfortunately.

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

The problem with that method however is that the string will play even if the boss is dead. Which won't work for my quest unfortunately.

Really? I always thought door repair rooms plus their strings never appear again after you've entered the screen once.

#6 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

Oh! I missed the door repair thing. Nevermind that should work.

• Eddy likes this

#7 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:02 PM

What about the reverse of this. A script that makes a string play on the enemy's death?

#8 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:29 AM

You could just warp around to a screen with a guy through activating the screen secret after the boss dies. A script might be more handy for you, but like this it can be done really easy without scripting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users