Imgur is becoming annoying.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

Over the last few months, Imgur has been getting more and more unwieldy. I get that they probably don't want people using it *just* to host images, and are trying to encourage using it as a social platform like Instagram, or something similar, but it is annoying when you can't upload a picture from your phone without having to make a "post" that everyone can see. For me at least, that 'post' then disappears, and I can't see it till some stranger comments on it, or until I log in from my computer. I know this sounds dumb, but I cannot find any way in the app to view my gallery, or albums. I have to use the mobile web version to do that. I literally want to use it as an image hosting site, not as another Instagram. I uploaded a picture from my computer, and also had to make it a "post", AND verify my email. Why force this extra step? Uhhhhghghggh like many sites, the bigger they get, the more annoying and restricted they become (Except in the case of Pure, where the opposite is true :P).

/End rant.

• Eddy, Sheik, coolgamer012345 and 5 others like this

#2 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

You think that's bad, try navigating Photobucket.

• Anthus, The Satellite, Eddy and 1 other like this

#3 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

I've found myself hosting images via discord recently. There doesn't seem to be a limit to how long an image can't be up, and they're pretty easy to just copy and paste around.

But yeah, the guys at imgur are likely forgetting how useful imgur is as an image hosting platform if it's becoming harder and harder to just normally host pictures there.

#4 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:11 AM

It's been annoying ever since you'd go to the homepage to upload an image and get slammed with a giant gallery in the process.

From that point, it was a given they'd only bloat it up more rather than less. That's why I never joined. Places like that are too predictable.

Not that other sites haven't caught me off guard with similar updates, but so far postimage's recent change has only required a bit of adblock for some surprisingly inappropriate ads they've run. If that's the only change they've made over these last years, I imagine I'll be with them for a while to come.

#5 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

For my PC, I've been using ShareX as a hook into Imgur's official API since it can upload images even if you didn't capture the image with ShareX originally. That lets me bypass uploading through the actual Imgur site and it's much faster if I just want to quickly share something privately. I check every now and then to make sure it's still making my uploads private by default, but otherwise I've never really used the actual website on my PC unless it's for viewing other images and image galleries that are linked on other sites.

I can understand why they are going in this annoying direction though. They want to promote the community they are attempting to build and they want the site to be more than a dumping place for reddit. But at the same time, they've gotten to the point where you can't even really view images on mobile without using the app (and even the app is a bit annoying). I think desktop is going to eventually follow with some equally annoying stuff like a few other image hosting sites already do and have done in the past (Photobucket and Imageshack come to mind). That's just how popular free image hosting is going to go, though. Money and getting the brand out there needs to happen somehow and direct urls to view an image isn't the way to accomplish that. :shrug:

Edit: Oh. Actually they've apparently already started redirecting direct image links on desktop.

Edited by Nick, 27 June 2017 - 02:17 PM.

• Anthus and Lüt like this

#6 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

Edit: Oh. Actually they've apparently already started redirecting direct image links on desktop.

Oh dang, yeah I just noticed the latest MotM direct links went to crap.

Click a .png, get an .html, see a downsized image, click for a larger-but-still-not-fullsize image, right-click and "open image in new tab" then zoom in again to finally see the full-size map that you should have been able to see when you first clicked the .png.

That's one of the reasons I stopped using Photobucket so many years ago. Now I'm glad I didn't set up with Imgur either.

#7 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

I too am frustrated with Imgur ever since they downgraded my image quality several months back.

#8 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

For images I want to stay, I've been using Freewebs hosting of all things.  I wish Google Drive allowed direct image linking.

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. And yeah, it would be nice if Google Drive and Dropbox let you link directly, but alas, they probably don't want it used as a Reddit dumping ground either.

• Lüt likes this

#10 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Photobucket also just went to shit, what with them replacing images with a ransom. NJF, fix your TRIFORCE banner!

• Jared likes this

#11 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

Photobucket also just went to shit, what with them replacing images with a ransom. NJF, fix your TRIFORCE banner!

They were already shit, this is straight up diarrhea.

The best part is that the TRIFORCE image they're blocking is 1.17 Kb, but their replacement 3rd-Party-Blocked image is 8.14 Kb. THAT'LL TEACH THE BANDWIDTH HOGS  :evil:

• Anthus and coolgamer012345 like this

#12 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

You think that's bad, try navigating Photobucket.

Photobucket sent me 2 emails telling me to cough up either $300 or $400 AUD for some premium account if I want to retain the ability for 3rd party websites to load images hosted on my Photobucket account (ie: The feature that lets you view an image within say, the PureZC forum without having to click a URL to be taken to Photobucket in order to view it).

Imgur is fine, at least their website is fantastic. Unsure about any apps or programs they produce.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 21 July 2017 - 09:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users