I'm thinking about trying Linux again.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

Hm. I want to do this right, and test it, but I think it is a bit over my head. I have very minimal experience with using command line stuff.

Oh, sorry, you have to download it first. It's here, a bit down the page: https://support.micr...en-us/kb/841290

I also tried doing what it said in Mint's manual with MD5sum, but I get the same result. It won't give me the numbers to check with the thing on their site.

md5sum is the utility on Linux.

EDIT: Also... what is Windows 6.1? Have I been lied to all these years!? :v

Yep. Windows 7 has kernel 6.1, 8 has 6.2, and 8.1 has 6.3. Then for Windows 10, they just upped it to 10, because hey, why not.
  • Anthus likes this

#17 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

I'm getting an old computer from work possibly, and might try it on that too. I've been super busy lately so I haven't gotten around to taking another stab at this yet. My laptop installation is also been halted, mostly cause I wanted to do the chksum thing correctly.

I will hopefully have some substantial free time next Monday, and will hopefully be able to get through it somewhat quickly, since everything is finally copied.

#18 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:11 PM

Since you've already got a working live disc, you could boot that up and use the instructions from the download page. Probably easier than trying to reproduce it in Windows. In the file manager, your hard drive should show up in the sidebar under "Devices." Find the directory, right-click and pick "Open in Terminal," and there you go.

Incidentally, I tried a 64-bit disc on a 32-bit VM, and it refused to boot, as expected. Is it possible your laptop has a 64-bit CPU, and it's just Windows that's 32-bit?

#19 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

Incidentally, I tried a 64-bit disc on a 32-bit VM, and it refused to boot, as expected. Is it possible your laptop has a 64-bit CPU, and it's just Windows that's 32-bit?

That could be. I will see what Speccy says about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users