• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

We mean it this time. :( 

Unfortunately due laziness forgetfulness, the staff sorta neglected to close the HQPFs after we said that they'd be closed.  So, we're putting a new date for it to get closed down.  On April 13th, the hosted quest project forums will be shut down.  We'd like to ask that if anyone has any topics currently in their HQPFs that they'd like moved out of the forums, please take care of them head of time.  If you need any staff assistance for migrating a topic to a Quest Project, please let a staff member know.

Thanks!

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Why not just lock the board, and leave the threads intact, so that people can retain information, or move all the threads to Custom Quest Discussion?

I understand that you want users to utilise the functions of Quest Projects, but it seems rather pointless to remove all of the posts in the existing three sub-boards.

There are far too many useful posts in these threads for the topics on the boards, to justify exterminating them.

I'm not certain why you're removing this at all, as it seems to serve a point, and to direct people to forums dedicated to specific quests. Is it being abused? (I don't see any abuse of it.)

If you want to enforce using the QPDB functions, just lock the HQPF board, and pin a notice that all future use should be via the QPDB. Instructions for use may also benefit some members. One of the flaws that I see in the QPDB is that the topics aren't very visible, and are not linked into the forums functions, from the forums.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 27 March 2014 - 04:38 PM.

• Jared likes this

#3 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Well, we're just doing what we normally do with HQPFs that aren't in use anymore: we archive them.  Nothing is being deleted.  Nothing is being removed.  It's just that they're going to be moved into the hosted quest project forums.  We're just giving a heads up so that people can get things moved ahead of time if they're still relevant so we don't really have to deal with that after the fact.  It will obviously still be doable after, but threads will be in a temporary "limbo" where people can't reply since they're archived.

The reason we're removing HQPFs is because setting them up is honestly a hassle for the staff, and people constantly dropped from them.  We had to constantly do evaluations to make sure that they're being used (or used well), and there were a few times when people would get frustrated at not having them.  There were some people who sort of got "grandfathered" into keeping them, but it's getting to the point where it's just a few people who are getting special privileges over the grand majority of PureZC.  It only seems fair for everyone to be on the same level, IMO.  I am hoping to try to address some of the concerns with the QPDB in the future, though.

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Aww...And here I was hoping Underneath the Armos would eventually catch up to The Magnificent Forum's outstanding record of finishing things...:P

• Avaro likes this

#5 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

Wow. I never thought I'd see the day. I still remember when I had one back in the day. Good times.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Aww...And here I was hoping Underneath the Armos would eventually catch up to The Magnificent Forum's outstanding record of finishing things... :P

Actually, if I'm counting right, I think we've surpassed them. Magnificent Forums has the Bloodline trilogy, Nargad 1, EA Leisure Stroll, Valami, and that one with the Hungarian name. That's seven. UtA has LotH, LotH DX, TDW, SiB, VoS, Bananas, Quest, and IoR. That's eight to seven. Unless I'm counting wrong.

Anyways, I'm sad to see the QPFs go; they've been around for so long, and it seems so odd that they won't be hear much longer (Underneath the Armos and Magnificent Forum especially, they've been around longer than I have). But I understand why it's time for them to go. So long, QPFs. It's been great.

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

It would seem that some of the majority would rather see the QPDB closed instead. :P Especially if it means HQPF sticking around. :P lol

#8 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Took you guys long enough! I didn't find it very fair how ours got shut down, yet the others stayed up when they were supposed to be shut down more than two months ago.

• Shane likes this

#9 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

Aww...And here I was hoping Underneath the Armos would eventually catch up to The Magnificent Forum's outstanding record of finishing things... :P

I was a former member of Underneath the Armos. It was already doomed. :P
  • Shane likes this

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

It still feels like book-burning to me. You're deleting a historical record; with hundreds, if not thousands of posts, and a great deal of specific knowledge. It makes a very bold statement as to how long you will retain other threads, and how brittle a legacy anyone who contributes here will make, if you plan to wipe a record without hesitation, just to promote a feature that is a bit awkward to use.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 27 March 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#11 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

It still feels like book-burning to me. You're deleting a historical record; thousands of posts, and a great deal of specific knowledge. It makes a very bold statement as to how long you will retain other threads, and how brittle a legacy anyone who contributes here will make, if you plan to wipe a record without hesitation, just to promote a feature that is a bit awkward to use.

Like LinktheMaster just said, we're not deleting anything. The current forums will be moved to the HQPF archives as all the others have.
  • Shane likes this

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Ah, I missed his response: The 'More Replies' pop-up pushed me to Jared's post, and I didn't scroll up all the way.

I can certainly understand the hassle in opening a sub-board for any member requesting one. Boards, and sub-boards, should exist to make content easier to read, and more topical; not to appease individual members. On the forums that I manage, I would consider opening a board (main, or daughter), for a topic, only if it was something that needed clear definition, apart from an existing board. For a project, with a group collaboration, I could see a specific board as a useful tool; but most of the threads in these boards could easily fit into Custom Quest Discussion.

Considering that the topics are being archived in some way, the idea of removing the boards is fine, but I do suggest placing a pointer of some kind on the board, as links in older posts, in other boards and topics, will give return a 404, by deleting existing boards. This is 'yet another reason' not to move, or remove, old content; as many posts may use that as a dependency. Locking the board, and posting a notice that it is no longer possible to add topics, or create new sub-boards, is generally better practice, to maintain cross-post integrity.

I have no idea how many posts in these boards have an outside reference, but I would expect that some point back to them; and that there are pointers to posts there, on other websites. Adding wildcard redirection for the boards to the new topics, is generally a pain to manage too.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 27 March 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#13 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

When it comes to collaboration, that's half of the purpose of the quest projects. :P People can create hidden topics in them for the staff members of that project to see.

Also, none of the links will break, actually.  The forum ids will all be the same, it's just that they'll be housed under a different forum.

#14 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:19 AM

Actually, if I'm counting right, I think we've surpassed them. Magnificent Forums has the Bloodline trilogy, Nargad 1, EA Leisure Stroll, Valami, and that one with the Hungarian name. That's seven. UtA has LotH, LotH DX, TDW, SiB, VoS, Bananas, Quest, and IoR. That's eight to seven. Unless I'm counting wrong.

I have about 11 projects finished not counting the LoZ quests I made before learning about ZC having a community for it and only one of those 11 was fully finished before me getting into the Magnificent QPF.

But that's not the real reason I'm quiting that post. "and that one with the Hungarian name" <- I don't remember having any of such, maybe you mean "Les Mondes Engloutis - the Submerged Worlds"?

Les Mondes Engloutis is French for "Engulfed Worlds". It's top hilarity for mixing up French and Hungarian, for they aren't even in the same language family branch (or language family TREE) for French being indoeuropean=>latin and Hungarian being (probably) ugor-altaj=>ugor. It's common knowledge that "Les" is a French article as all such are neo latin articles (Les, Los, Le, etc.) and that Monde is "world" in French, as well as that this many worlds with "-s/-es" at the end are latin characteristics which Hungarian lacks entirely. Also, it is also known that Hungarian has many characters that aren't fit even into the extended latin character set, having a three word title without any of them has low chance. For comparison, "les mondes engloutis" is "az elnyelt világok" and "the submerged worlds" is "az elsüllyedt világok" in Hungarian, except for one other difference: Hungarian uses articles less often, so if the first word of a title is 2-3 letters, then you already can suspect that it's not in Hungarian.

As for the qpf closing, my opinion on it is as fully negative as it was the first time it was announced. There are still many QPF things that aren't going into a quest project thread and treating people equally is only supporting the ones who would be viewed lower without forced equality. You just can't mention a project scrapper early teenager who can't put anything on a screen that doesn't explode into a million of fireballs in a second on the same level as Shoelace/Peteo/Mudvayne/Freedom/etc. But you do. Even more, you value them higher. That is why I couldn't take this place seriously at all since about 2008-2009.

And since, for about 2-3 years, I was here only because I had a qpf in here, I can be totally away, as I told a day before the supposed closing of the qpfs.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

I have about 11 projects finished not counting the LoZ quests I made before learning about ZC having a community for it and only one of those 11 was fully finished before me getting into the Magnificent QPF.

But that's not the real reason I'm quiting that post. "and that one with the Hungarian name" <- I don't remember having any of such, maybe you mean "Les Mondes Engloutis - the Submerged Worlds"?

10? 10? Okay, wow. You have us thoroughly beaten. Congrats.  As for Les Mondes, I don't know why, but for some reason I was thinking it had to be Hungarian. Looking at the name again... yeah, that is pretty obviously French. I guess I never payed enough attention to the title, just figured "foreign name, based off TV show a Hungarian watched, probably a Hungarian number."

As for going away, c'mon CC. I understand losing a QPF is no fun (trust me, I'm in the same boat as you), but that's no reason to go away. The QPDB isn't quite as versatile as a QPF, but that's no reason to leave the site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users