Random Theme Contest 3 - QUESTS

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

I've played Hollow Forest until the part where you are looking for some keys. After that, I watched Lunaria's stream to see the full quest. The final bit looked really good, so I'd say this quest has a worthy finale. This quest matches it's theme perfectly. I think most "issues" have been said already.

The fact that this quest has a working large room script is overshadowed by the many things this quest does. There's the whole darkness/rot feature and there's the abundance of water which all make it hard to enjoy the platforming. Basically what I'm saying here is: Re-use the script and make another platformer that has no darkness please! I'd love to play something like this again, but less frustrating.

About Grinding Mushroom, I don't have much to say about it. It is not bad, but not as good as your other projects. It's still good to have another fairly solid quest in this contest.

Edited by Avataro, 23 January 2017 - 03:17 PM.

• Joaish (RedTribeLink) likes this

#17 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

In RotS, missing a key in the desert area. I assume I'm supposed to get passed the screen with the 3 whirlwinds and 3 sand blocks, but I can't seem to figure out how.
  • Shane likes this

#18 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

In RotS, missing a key in the desert area. I assume I'm supposed to get passed the screen with the 3 whirlwinds and 3 sand blocks, but I can't seem to figure out how.

Yep, you can get past it. The sand blocks alone won't be enough to solve the puzzle however. Perhaps there's more to the puzzle than meets the eye?

Spoiler

#19 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure I would have figured that out otherwise. Seems a very obtuse puzzle. I do however love the quest. Graphics, music, puzzles. It's great. If I had but one critique, while I do love the music, it is a bit repetitive. Returning to an area does have an odd sense of "oh ya this music, I liked this" though.
  • Shane likes this

#20 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:27 AM

Not sure I would have figured that out otherwise. Seems a very obtuse puzzle.

Weird, I've watched and heard many people pick up on it quite quickly when I was hoping the puzzle would be more challenging to solve. There's like a few vague hints that foreshadow this too, one of them I listed in the spoiler tag so it's not like the puzzle solution was out of left field. As for music... I guess that's part of the Gameboy charm which makes it a hit or miss. I really dislike picking MIDIs of differing qualities, vibes, etc. and I dislike using songs of higher quality when using retro inspired graphics. So yeah, I'm very choosy about my songs. I tried picking the best but most obscure Gameboy music possible and this was the result. I'm glad you're enjoying the quest though!

Also while I'm at it, I finished Grinding Mushroom and I must say the quest has a looot of potential. I wouldn't say it has been reached yet due to feeling very rushed and whatnot but from what I played it was fun, creative and it had that good old experimental ZC charm to it, I like it. Music was good too! I wanna complete Hollow Forest next up now. :)

• Joaish (RedTribeLink) likes this

#21 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Rite of the Storm spoiler (sorry about the videoquality):

Spoiler

• Shane and Eddy like this

#22 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:40 AM

When can we expect those polls to be up? It's been a little over a week now and interest seems to be drying up...

• Shane likes this

#23 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:02 AM

I'll put them up soon. Since we only have three quests, I'm thinking of having less polls than last time, especially as some categories don't apply (for example "funniest quest", since nobody went for "funny" this time).

I'm thinking of having:

- Best quest

- Most original quest

- Most fitting to the theme

Is there anything else you'd miss having?

Edited by Jamian, 28 January 2017 - 06:02 AM.

#24 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:33 AM

Those categories seem fine to me, I'll probably just go for those three personally.

#25 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:46 AM

I'd suggest "Best Quest" be rephrased as "Best Overall". Also, I think "Best Gameplay" would be nice - that is, how well they did aside from the theming.

#26 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Since I only played one so far. I'll just review the one.

Hollow Forest:

Interesting quest to say the least, and a very delightful challenge. I am glad to actually see a survival horror type quest entered into Zelda Classic. It almost makes me feel bad this isn't October, but I digress. I've read few of the criticism's toward this quest, specifically for the 2nd area. I personally would like to disagree and feel that many players who were pretty annoyed with this area probably haven't been using their gun as much as they should. This game pushes theme scarcity very well, and the thing about scarcity it pushes many to try and not even use their items at all because of that scarcity. However, the items exist for a reason so it teaches you to really think about every shot before you take them. This is something I love about the genre.

So despite the criticism on the unfairness of the 2nd area, I actually felt it's not as bad as people make it out to be, and at times I felt like I tried to over-prepare as this quest turned out to be much easier than I was expecting it to be. So overall, great theme, and fun gameplay. I do feel that puzzle leading to the lantern isn't explained very well since I myself fell into the habit of trying to jump on all the crumbling blocks as fast as possible.

My only complaint about this quest, and it's a really big complaint is it's ending.

Spoiler

#27 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

I went ahead and created the polls.

#28 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

Just a question about Grinding Mushroom. Is this quest still planned to be completed any time soon?

#29 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Junior

• Members

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

I'm still working on it. I still have to build the final dungeon and fix and add some small things here and there. Sadly due to real life I haven't been able to work too much on it, but it should hopefully be done within the next few weeks.

#30 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

I'm still working on it. I still have to build the final dungeon and fix and add some small things here and there. Sadly due to real life I haven't been able to work too much on it, but it should hopefully be done within the next few weeks.

Then I guess consider my Lets Play for this game postponed. I just finished my last Lets Play today with a very short video called End of Demo, but for my youtube channel I'd like to have the completed game. Since my videos are often backlogged, it might take me weeks to a couple of months before I even get to your game, so it'll probably be the right time to play the final level and beat the game. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users