help with palettes for firebird.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

I am overworking the firebird palette (c-set 2, 3, 4, 9). I actually plan to overthrow the typical split between ow-palettes and dungeon-palettes. C-set 2 is used for the OW-tiles and C-set 3 is used for dungeon tiles. My problem is that I don't have fitting colors yet. The existing dungeon palettes are rather user-unfriendly (two sets of 3 colors mixed up through the c-set) and seem to be a WIP anyway (I don't see how c-set 3 is thought to be used. all colors work rather well with OW-tiles, but there are some flaws with this). I would prefer 5 colors like for the OW-palettes. Without a palette for this I can't reorganize and recolor dungeon tiles and without such tiles I can't test out colors to see if they work out for the palette. It would be a huge help if someone could make a fitting set of color-rows for the base-firebird-OW-palette.

I need two sets of 5 colors (5 colors means for example red from bright to dark) and two sets of 3 colors that fit together with the standard OW-palette.

Edited by Naru, 20 March 2017 - 04:52 PM.

#2 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

I'm confused about what you're even trying to do here. The overworld and dungeon palettes have exactly the same structure. Dungeon walls typically have 3 colors plus black, and including every wall set they only use 5 plus black, so such a huge ramp as you want makes no sense.

Are you even using the same Firebird set as I am? Is there something I'm not getting here?

Look, I'll go through the palette structure for you:

aKKLSHL.png

Overworld CSets:

0-transparent
1-white/light color
2- dirt [light]/browns color ramp/highlight color
3- dirt [dark]
4- non-tree brown color ramp
5- tree brown color ramp end [this is probably what's throwing you off]
6- non-tree brown color ramp end
7- item 1 ramp
8- item 1 ramp
9- item 1 ramp
A- grass [light]
B- grass [dark]
C- water/item 2 ramp
D- water/item 2 ramp
E- water/item 2 ramp
F- black

The only differences in between CSets tends to be the item 1/2 ramps.

Dungeon CSets:

0-transparent
1-white/light color
2-dungeon wall ramp 
3-dungeon wall ramp [light floors as well]
4-dungeon floor ramp [some walls as well but very rarely]
5-dungeon wall/floor ramp
6-dungeon floor ramp [plus cave tiles]
7- item 1 ramp
8- item 1 ramp
9- item 1 ramp
A- grass [light]
B- grass [dark]
C- water/item 2 ramp
D- water/item 2 ramp
E- water/item 2 ramp
F- black

In dungeon palettes, CSet 3 is typically a flipped version of CSet 2, in that the 4th and 6th colors are given what the 5th color's hue was, and vice versa. It's used if you want to have a slightly different-looking part of dungeon while still keeping the same CSet as the overall one.
The most difficult bit to figure out about the palettes - and it really isn't hard to figure out, let's be real - is the dichotomy between the floor and wall color. Really, you could just go with a flat ramp for the whole thing and survive, but having the colors mixed like that allows for you to have different wall and floor colors in a single CSet.
The palette structure is slightly obtuse, sure, but it works perfectly fine. There's much more pressing issues with the tileset right now.

#3 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Not all dungeon palettes have a c-set 3 that actually works with walls. Though I admit I overlooked that there are some that do. Anyway, I don't really like the existing walls for firebird too much and want to create new ones; but I feel limited with using only three colors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users