Select Characters

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sans

Sans

Hey kid wanna buy hot dogs ?

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

hi i have a question for you... and a request... I know certan quest you may select a character but it's a Global script ? and especially selecting a characters change the quest story ? if it's true then i want the Select characters scripts before the title screen and i had 2 main characters for the quest: the hero, and the villain. With the hero, the player must find 8 triforces pieces but with the villain, the player must STOLE the 8 Triforce pieces. Exemple if Link is selected the Death Darknut is the main enemy and if the Death Darknut is selected Link is the main enemy. It's a idea for the script i find. And i do no want to modify Link into the Death Darknut in the risk to destroy completely my quest in the project. however if this script works for me then the complete version will take more time to be completed but certain area can be explored on a specified characters that the another character cannot reach normally. I know that possible to make it without script but it's more risk to make many glitchs on the quest.

#2 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

The script for picking a character can be pretty simple. But beforehand, what are the differences between the two characters?

• You mentioned the other will be the final boss. That will need a script to check who you are and give you a different final boss depending on that.
  • Do they obtain different items?
  • Will different cutscenes (if any) play depending on your pick?
  • Do they have different innate abilities or does the Death Darknut just play like Link?

As preparation for the script, you should set up your two complete sets of spritesheets (Link with all his shields and whatnot, and the Death Darknut with his shields) so you can hand out an item with a Link Tile Modifier (know how those work?) that swaps Link's sprites out with the Darknut.

What should the selection menu look like, exactly?

• Anthus likes this

#3 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

-Well if the Death Darknut is the boss final as Link's story then on the Death Darknut's story Link is the final boss. 
-The Death Darknut will ''find'' the same item as Link can find but somes dungeons will be differents. Exemple the Forest Temple is the first dungeon for Link. well for the Death Darknut, the first dungeon is the East Palace. but somes dungeons will stay the same but somes blocked area on Link's story will be only accessibles with the Death Darknut story. However the Forsaken Castle cannot be accessible with the Death Darknut but the main entrance will be accessible and then the dungeon will be ''Darknut Castle'' as 8th dungeon but the door will be locked until you stole the 7 another triforces pieces. 
-The story intro will be differants then the intro of Link's story. However the Death Darknut story will be more difficult to complete then the Link's story. 

Oh and i forgot something: the Death Darknut cannot access in the ''special dungeons'' like the Demon Temple, the Ancient Mansion, etc... 
On the Death Darknut's story his mission is to take the 8 Triforce Piece to get back his ''lord'' at the life. And you should know who is his lord ?

Edited by Cedric, 26 February 2017 - 07:14 PM.

#4 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

How will you make the dungeons inaccessible to the Darknut?

#5 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

I'm not sure for my self but i could use a invisible Secret tile and i could use the Secret Trigger at the map of my choice. I trying that before as a test and that works perfectly. For the Link spritesheet i can give you the rar files contient my 14 Link's spritesheets to transform it into Darknut. Oh and more details: the Darknut can't swim with the flippers for that so he can only use the raft FFC (i got the working script for that) and he cannot access at the Water Palace as 6th Dungeon but i could make the ''Mayath Castle'' as the 6th dungeon. 

I almost forgot: Link's first sword is the Pirate Sword and the last Sword is the Master Sword. The Darknut's first sword is the Darknut Sword and the last sword is the Death Sword.

Edited by Cedric, 26 February 2017 - 09:57 PM.

#6 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

The script doesn't need to know how the Link Tile Modifiers are set up. You need to create a dummy "Darknut" item with Link tile modifier equal to (# of first Darknut sprite tile) - (# of first Link sprite tile).

#7 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

hum ok but you can put a screenshot to give me an exemple ? 

Edited by Cedric, 27 February 2017 - 01:05 PM.

#8 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

I haven't done this in a long time but I think: you need to make a custom ring item and put in a value in a box which says something like link tile modifier. The number you put in should be the number of tiles in the tile sheet which divides the first tile of your link tiles with the first tile of your villain tile. So the equation Moscow Molder offered should work. What the program is doing is moving the position it looks to to draw link by how many tiles you put in, the number. Also I don't think almost any of the things you want to do would really need scripts at all, which is good, but some of it will be time consuming, whether you use scripts or not.

-Strike

#9 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

hum...

#10 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

i make thoses screenshots but the setting is more difficult then i imagined

https://i58.servimg....76/deskto12.png

https://i58.servimg....76/deskto14.png

https://i58.servimg....76/deskto13.png

.. So what i should do now ? I'll need somes screenshots to understand more (cause i'll forget and make the mistake easly :/ )

#11 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:49 PM

So in the second picture you posted, the box says "Link Tile Modification." That is the box you are going to want to change.

The tiles you have for dark nuts should work, but they are not arranged in a order that the game will understand. You need to arrange the dark nut tiles copying how the link tiles are arranged. Scroll down the combo page and you'll eventually see all the link tiles. You'll notice that the tiles for Link are all arranged in the same pattern, over and over for when he has shields and doesn't have shields and so on. You need to make a new combo page, placing the dark nut tiles in their respective positions, just where you want them, replace each Sprite. So you would have the dark nut walking tiles where the link tiles are and so on. They need to exactly mirror the location on the link combo page. You should probably just copy a page with link and start replacing the tiles one by one.

Once you have done this, you need to change the link tile modifier to the number of tiles between the normal link graphics and the dark nut graphics. This will tell the game to move the position it checks for links Sprite the number of tiles you input.

Tell me if you have any other issues.

-Strike

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:55 AM

The script doesn't need to know how the Link Tile Modifiers are set up. You need to create a dummy "Darknut" item with Link tile modifier equal to (# of first Darknut sprite tile) - (# of first Link sprite tile).

Have you tried some of the 2.54 stuff for this MM?

SetLinkTIle() works now, as does itemdata->TileMod (LTM), and OverlayTile(). Setting up character select, and adding equipment objects to player sprites, should be extremely flexible now. I wouldn;t mind if someone went through and made demos using these sorts of things. :D

For multiple characters, you could in fact have one set of equipment with different graphics or other properties, and set the item properties using the global active, or OnContinue script. I may have noted at one point that you can technically use two items to control an entire quest with effectively no upper limit of items in inventory this way.

You are also welcome to rip the game difficulty menu that I made (using Tango) for this, or any of my subscreen stuff if you want it. With the subscreen, I was planning to add a character select, and equipment (equip/unequip) GUI. It's still a WIP, and the automation side is unfinished.

You might like the premise though.

#13 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

alright then

#14 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:23 AM

Welp i tried anything but i'm not sure that could be more detailed without a script or a exemple quest. also since i can't scroll down/up with the scroll thing in middle of the mouse that take me along. i could put an Link and a Darknut warp tile (A and B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users